• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D monoblocks, which one?

birkbott

I’m torn between these:
-DIY NC400 from diyassd
-Pre-assembled NC400 from audiophonics
-Ghent Icepower based GA-M500P
-Emotiva PA-1
-Any others I don’t know about?

Currently using a Schiit Vidar to power X-LS Encores from GR Research. Looking to free up space in my main cabinet and having the amps close to or on top of the speakers. Also looking for something more efficient and cooler to run.

All other things being relatively equal I’m inclined to go with the Emotivas unless there’s something big to be gained by going up in price. I’ve only seen measurements of the NC400 so I don’t know how the Emotiva or Ghent would compare.

Looking for any info or suggestions.

OP
birkbott

birkbott

Oh and I have a Schiit Saga S preamp

OP
birkbott

birkbott

Do not place the amplifier on the speakers due to vibration. o_O

I’ve heard this before but never understood why. What happens inside the amp that is affected by vibration? How does this not apply to subwoofer amps and powered speakers?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m torn between these:
-DIY NC400 from diyassd
-Pre-assembled NC400 from audiophonics
-Ghent Icepower based GA-M500P
-Emotiva PA-1
-Any others I don’t know about?

Currently using a Schiit Vidar to power X-LS Encores from GR Research. Looking to free up space in my main cabinet and having the amps close to or on top of the speakers. Also looking for something more efficient and cooler to run.

All other things being relatively equal I’m inclined to go with the Emotivas unless there’s something big to be gained by going up in price. I’ve only seen measurements of the NC400 so I don’t know how the Emotiva or Ghent would compare.

Looking for any info or suggestions.

How about an amplifier you can hang from your binding posts? https://www.cherryamp.com/ilm-store

Martin

OP
birkbott

birkbott

Two other options:
-Outlaw 2200 monoblocks
-Dual Crown XLS DriveCore 2 in bridged mode (has built in crossover settings for my stereo subs)

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about an amplifier you can hang from your binding posts? https://www.cherryamp.com/ilm-store

Martin

Never heard of those before - they look very interesting but I wonder how much of the claims the manufacture makes for them (4x the bandwidth of other Class D amps?) are actually true? And I wonder what these things actually are comprised of?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two other options:
-Outlaw 2200 monoblocks
-Dual Crown XLS DriveCore 2 in bridged mode (has built in crossover settings for my stereo subs)

The Crowns are going to offer gobs of power for the money but will have higher noise and distortion than the other options you've mentioned.

The Outlaws, per Amir's recent measurements, are a fantastic value and probably would be a no-brainer purchase for a lot of us, except they have some noise that degrades the overall SINAD spec (which is basically noise plus distortion). But at $399 each and given their low distortion and apparently solid build quality, they probably are still a good option.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can recommend the Behringer A800.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got 3.
It depends if I use them indoors or outdoors.
But mostly I go from a ESS Sabre DAC through a passive monitor controller then Exciter, Subharmonic synthesizer etc. (depends on mood) then a DCX2496 DSP and then amps.
Highs are 2 Fane 12-250TC fullranges (also recommended, amazing speakers and cheap) in like 40ltr. closed for 100Hz+.
Subs are 4 12" Hybrid horn ported subs.
The A800 is very precise, has crystal clear highs and effortless lows.
No coloration of any kind.
A very honest amp.
Unbelievable performance for the price.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try @March Audio - https://www.marchaudio.net.au/

I use the p252 (nc252mp) because I don't need the power and doubt I could tell the difference by moving up, but he has more powerful models at very reasonable prices.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're using an exciter and subharmonic synthesizer for all the music in your system, it can be quite enjoyable, but you're kind of disqualified from being able to offer reliable evaluations to others about how clean your amplification is.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

rodtor

Forum Donor
What about the new Audiophonics based on Purifi, just released? Excellent price. It's stereo though, although all dual mono inside.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ass-d-stereo-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14393.html
Thanks for pointing this out, @Matias. It would appear to be an extraordinary offer - a purifi amp for the same price as they are selling the stereo version of the NC400 (with the same smps). I don't think that power supply should be a problem, but perhaps they will offer monoblocks with the 600 smps, as they did for the NC400. I would have expected the purifi amp module to be much more expensive than the NC400, for them to acquire, and therefore for the customer.

Top Bottom