• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D modules

davirix

Hi All, first post, bear with me...

I'm in the market for my first home sound system: music server, DAC (based on ESS9038PRO), diy speaker (by Troels, I'm a woodworker) limited budget. I've figured out pretty much everything but the amplifier.

Having read whatever I could in the last few weeks I think I'll go for a new generation class D. Some of the amplifliers in this group are basically just a box to shelter the module, a switch and plugs.

I am wondering whether modules produced by Hypex, Purifi, ICEPower can deliver their full potential without any additional electronics. I don't need any particular extra function.

Please do not tell me to test and buy what I like, because I'd love but where I live I just cannot.

Thank you in advance for any tip.

Best,

David

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't want the hassle of assembling the amp from the kits order from Buckeye Amps. His are reasonably priced and will be exactly what you would receive in a kit. He now offers a custom buffer board with extra functions you may not want or need and if so I believe he will make one w/o the board. Ghent sells the kits, I believe if u want to do the assembly yourself. Purifi is the way to go unless you need very high power-in that case the new Hypex modules just came out I believe the 500 series outputs 500 W @ 1% THD @ 4 ohm and they measure very close to the Purifi modules.

doug2761

Forum Donor
I am wondering whether modules produced by Hypex, Purifi, ICEPower can deliver their full potential without any additional electronics. I don't need any particular extra function.
It's not clear to me what you mean by full potential without any additional electronics. If you're asking if you need a preamp between your DAC and amp then the answer is no as long as your DAC has volume control. Maybe get a DAC that can output a bit higher voltage than the 2v standard to give you additional flexibility.

If you're asking if you need anything other than the amp module and power supply to build your own then that answer is maybe. You could build an amp without an input buffer but you'll need a DAC that can put out higher voltage levels than 2v or you risk not having enough gain. I like the advice above - just buy an amp from Buckeye if you are looking for lowest price. Building these things is super simple but sourcing stuff is some effort and you won't save any money after shipping costs.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Easiest ones are Ice Power edge with integrated PS,like 700as2,1200as2,2000as2.
Just slap them on a case and play.
Moreover you can add extra channels with them easily (two connectors),like a 300a2 who measures more than decent.

OP
D

davirix

It's not clear to me what you mean by full potential without any additional electronics. If you're asking if you need a preamp between your DAC and amp then the answer is no as long as your DAC has volume control. Maybe get a DAC that can output a bit higher voltage than the 2v standard to give you additional flexibility.

If you're asking if you need anything other than the amp module and power supply to build your own then that answer is maybe. You could build an amp without an input buffer but you'll need a DAC that can put out higher voltage levels than 2v or you risk not having enough gain. I like the advice above - just buy an amp from Buckeye if you are looking for lowest price. Building these things is super simple but sourcing stuff is some effort and you won't save any money after shipping costs.
Hi doug2761, I have a DAC/preamp, so I was just wondering about the power amp build. I understand n w that these models, like hypex, have built in all they need to power amp, and what is missing is just the box, cables, plugs and a switch.

Thanks to all and happy 2023!

D

Top Bottom