• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D amps

Klint

Hello

New to the fora and trying to find out if any of the Class D amp manufacturers have succeded so far. Read the less than fantastic review of the XTZ EDGE 300, one i had hopes for. I am also trying to find out regarding the Nuprime MCX, very little information there. Does anyone have any info/measurements regarding these amps.

thornclaw

hello
currently i own an nad 298. i would describe it as a sweet sounding and resolved wall of sound. very happy with it. i would say class d as a whole is a success. the measurements on them are fantastic. theres not much point to a megadollar amplifier anymore. in a way its slightly sad and sort of feels like when deep blue defeated garry kasparov.
regards
thorn

OP
K

Klint

hello
currently i own an nad 298. i would describe it as a sweet sounding and resolved wall of sound. very happy with it. i would say class d as a whole is a success. the measurements on them are fantastic. theres not much point to a megadollar amplifier anymore. in a way its slightly sad and sort of feels like when deep blue defeated garry kasparov.
regards
thorn

Hehe.
Thanks, nice amp. Do You use the C658?, been thinking of that combo to but read the 658-review here so, not sure...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What country are you in, what speakers and what budget? Makes easier to recommend something.

OP
K

Klint

What country are you in, what speakers and what budget? Makes easier to recommend something.
Hi, Sweden, Thinking of a Nuprime MCX-2, hence my question. So 2000euro somewhere, Magnepan 3.7i is the speaker and so far a Marantz SR7011 for movies but looking to buy a music dedicated system maybe miniDST SHD and a poweramp.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, Sweden, Thinking of a Nuprime MCX-2, hence my question. So 2000euro somewhere, Magnepan 3.7i is the speaker and so far a Marantz SR7011 for movies but looking to buy a music dedicated system maybe miniDST SHD and a poweramp.
Hypex NCore are among the best measuring class D amplifiers, and NC1200 was their flagship and has plenty of power. Apollon makes flawless builds, are in Slovenia, and have 14 day trial. I would get this one if I were you.

https://www.apollonaudio.com/hypex-nc1200-based-class-d-amplifier-apollon-audio-nc1200sl/

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
14 days trial by the way, not 30. I edited my post above.

thornclaw

im planning on getting a 658 mostly for the room correction. according to bruno putzeys, room acoustics are way more important than the amplifier as far as sound quality is concerned.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello

New to the fora and trying to find out if any of the Class D amp manufacturers have succeded so far. Read the less than fantastic review of the XTZ EDGE 300, one i had hopes for. I am also trying to find out regarding the Nuprime MCX, very little information there. Does anyone have any info/measurements regarding these amps.
You can also look at Primare and Lyngdorf.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
im planning on getting a 658 mostly for the room correction. according to bruno putzeys, room acoustics are way more important than the amplifier as far as sound quality is concerned.
While I agree it is very important, my preference was to buy a UMIK-1 and do it myself. This way I can fine tune my target curve and measure each speaker individually, and allows me to use any amplifier I want.

OP
K

Klint

While I agree it is very important, my preference was to buy a UMIK-1 and do it myself. This way I can fine tune my target curve and measure each speaker individually, and allows me to use any amplifier I want.

I am sure the end result would be better but honestly i "like" the idea of 1 box helping me with the complete setup, acting preamp and then playing my favorite tracks. Even the dspMini HSD setup feels a little to much here and the NAD C658 would be better. Now that unit needs to get "bugfree" as i understand it. New to the fora but i was around when you either listened to a cassette or a vinyl and sound was optimized by moving the speaker and the computer was at work
18890_01_315.jpg
..... :) Thanks for all help, to all in the thread.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Actually most amplifiers with Hypex, Purifi and even ICEPower (which XTZ uses) will be audibly transparent if properly matched with regards to having enough power for your speaker load. That they're not all necessarily perfect from a technical standpoint with regards to the SINAD measurements doesn't mean they sound bad. There may of course also be differences in the quality of the build.

thornclaw

thanks for this
i useddirac on the 658 and adjusted the curve to match harmans curve in the video and got a great result. the flat default curve is too bright/lean

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

thornclaw

regarding dirac, after playing around with it for a while i found that doing approximately a 50% correction to the curve resulted in the best sound. correcting it too much takes away too much of the speakers innate sound.
i must say that playing around with dirac is fun

Vasr

Major Contributor

Nuprime has excellent build quality and debatably aesthetics but they are very overpriced for what they deliver. In addition, their own internal designs have been a hit/miss.

Problem with Class D is that there are no affordable big-brand (with implications on support, long time maintenance, ability to replace quickly if problems arise, etc) amps yet. The DIY and small shop builds are like buying pre-assembled PCs without getting the advantage of volume and often local support. The latter is fine for sub-$1000 equipment but I wouldn't spend a lot more for amps that are expected to have a long life (decades) unless one is sure of the long term prospects for the brand.

There are also very, very few all-in-one or integrated devices with Class D, NAD being one of the leading ones but you pay a premium for it.

I would recommend going for a separate or integrated unit (depending on requirements) without power amps and adding power amps as required selected for power capability, build quality and brand support/longevity. Class D mandate only applies if the heat/power consumption is an issue. Most good amps are transparent to normal hearing. Having sufficient power and being stable down to low impedance values are all the specs that matter.

sgent

There are also very, very few all-in-one or integrated devices with Class D, NAD being one of the leading ones but you pay a premium for it.

Teac, Yamaha , and Pioneer, NAD have some class D integrated amps done well. Parasound and JBL Commercial also have power amps done on Class D platforms that competent. I would also look at March Audio although they are smaller (Australian).

JSmith

Master Contributor
Anything with a well implemented Hypex Ncore or Purifi module... preferably with available test results. Brands mentioned NAD and TEAC will charge you much more than smaller producers.

JSmith

Top Bottom