• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D amp recommendation

tuskenraider

Hi,

I'm looking to replace an ATI-2505(250WPC @ 8 ohms) anchor I recently acquired, since it will break my center console without major temporary support and putting it on the floor is not desirable. I thought of going the opposite way in weight and trying out a class D amp. I'm going to put my center and surrounds back on my Yamaha RX-A3080 and get a 2-channel amp for the mains(Revel F208's @ 8ohms 88.5 dB sensitivity). I've read so much info my head is going to explode and have analysis paralysis. I'm looking to keep cost @$1500. I really like the look of the VTV's, but have read of the questionable build quality. The easy button is the Purifi EVAL-1 setup and possibly sending it out for a re-wire, but wondering if feeding the Revels more power with a Hypex NC1200 setup might be a better move. Going above budget, the new high power Purifi modules don't seem like a big enough power jump for $600 or so difference, starting with a Sparkos Opamp(making it more confusing and expensive depending on which one to select). I just want good, clean power going to my speakers to improve 2 channel music performance, the home theater side is whatever. Thanks for any direction.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I'm looking to replace an ATI-2505(250WPC @ 8 ohms) anchor I recently acquired, since it will break my center console without major temporary support and putting it on the floor is not desirable. I thought of going the opposite way in weight and trying out a class D amp. I'm going to put my center and surrounds back on my Yamaha RX-A3080 and get a 2-channel amp for the mains(Revel F208's @ 8ohms 88.5 dB sensitivity). I've read so much info my head is going to explode and have analysis paralysis. I'm looking to keep cost @$1500. I really like the look of the VTV's, but have read of the questionable build quality. The easy button is the Purifi EVAL-1 setup and possibly sending it out for a re-wire, but wondering if feeding the Revels more power with a Hypex NC1200 setup might be a better move. Going above budget, the new high power Purifi modules don't seem like a big enough power jump for $600 or so difference, starting with a Sparkos Opamp(making it more confusing and expensive depending on which one to select). I just want good, clean power going to my speakers to improve 2 channel music performance, the home theater side is whatever. Thanks for any direction.
Power is key. Hypex/Purifi is the sweet spot for value. You could look at Boxem, Audiofonics, or Buckeye if you don't want VTV. I would expect any of the 400 or 500 amp module part numbers to be great with your speakers, with headroom and clean undistorted power. They all perform well.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I am currently running my front mains using 10 year old Crown XLS2500's.

You can pick up the XLS's series amps from circa $200 used (!! mostly due to their use for pro sound reinforcement!). They have heaps of power, and sound great matched with a decent AVR, as long as the AVR can put enough voltage out for the XLS. - Due to their pro background they are also very robust.

AmirM reviewed the 2nd generation models here on ASR.

They do have fans - but in my use case, the fans have either been off, or inaudible.

I purchased mine used years ago, based on various rave reviews alongside reviews that dissed them for various reasons - I figured that at the price I got them, I could flip them with little or no loss.... 10 years later I could now sell them for more than I originally paid for them, they proved to be superior to excellent standard amps I compared them to when driving difficult speakers - and on a par when driving more normal speakers (they were compared to Quad 606 amps, and to Integra DTR70.4 and Onkyo TX-SR876 AVR's)

OP
T

tuskenraider

To add, I also have about a 20 yo. Parasound HCA-2200II amp that I was using to drive my main speakers before getting the ATI. I bought it about 10 years ago, used, on Audiogon. I have had to have it repaired 3 times at more than the initial cost of the amp, so I'm not really looking to buy another used amp that may, or may not be in good shape. I certainly appreciated the suggestions though. I have time to try plenty of alternatives, so I'll ponder it a bit. Thanks.

F

freemansteve

F208 is specced for power at 50-350W.
How loud do you need to play music?
Some mid-power Hypex or Purifi should be enough and well within budget.

OP
T

tuskenraider

Fairly loud, depending on how much alcohol I've had, lol. I just want to make sure I'm feeding enough power to the speakers to prevent any damage outside of overdriving them.

OP
T

tuskenraider

Have you thought about purchasing a new, stronger console capable of supporting an ATI-2505 ?
Yes, and going through an Amish furniture shop as I did for the current one, would probably be close to the cost of an amp build. So........new furniture and old amp, or new amp and old furniture.........hmmmmm.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Go for something like the Hypex NC500 or 502. I'm a fan of Monoblock builds, but that is just a personal value choice. ;)
Regardless, there is no reason you need a 1200 watt Amp module for those Speakers unless you want to really try to blow them out. :p

steve59

Major Contributor
I bought an Anthem 225i after listening to it drive a pair of f208 speakers, discontinued now and since you're not interested in used I won't offer mine. ATI makes class D amps that have to be lighter than that boat anchor you're currently using.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Well it's a none starter so far, output protection tips before I can get a voltmeter to anything. I strongly suspect without being able to read the fault codes from flash this repair is a none starter.

Stripped it down no signs of any blown parts. Though one corner does smell, which indicates at a potential area for investigation. It'll require stripping boards out and testing each one outside the amp.

Time to root around that service manual

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sounds like it's time to get an audio rack! If you're US based Buckeye seems to be the way to go.

Top Bottom