• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

class D Amp recomendation for ELAC DBR62, under 300$

mario_rouge

Now I understand when Amrir wrote in his review that the speakers needed a lot of power. With 2 Sabaj A8 (IcePower 250 watts per channel in BTL mode) the speakers were able to have much more bass and a more dynamic sound. With the Topping PA5 and with the Sabaj a8 in stereo mode (65 watt per channel) the sound is very good but the bass is much weaker. For my tastes I will use the two Sabaj but I will also keep the Topping to diversify the plays.

qec

I'm currently running my DBR62's with the Topping PA5. I had it for about 10 days. It replaced an Adcom GFA555 amp (200 watts into 8ohms) which stopped working (I've since fixed it). Both are used in combination with a DSP based powered subwoofer which takes some of the load off the amp. I can't tell the difference between the 2 amps. They both sound great. I wish the PA5 was full rack size and had a more industrial look. However I still have the Adcom when I want that look. Note that I don't turn the volume up past 1/2 and usually only 20%. I have the PA5 turned to max volume.
I originally had it all hooked up with RCA to TS cables. Works fine so as long as you pay attention to the output of whatever is driving the PA5. If it produces enough output voltage you don't need to feed the PA5 with balanced. I'm feeding my with an Adcom pre-amp which gives me input selection (phone, radio, DAC and CD player) and volume control with a remote. Preamp RCA -> powered subwoofer balanced out -> TRS PA5.
Really happy with the setup. The DBR's are just so smooth!

Last edited:

rnj

I am currently using the Niles si 2100 to drive the elac dbr62. The Niles is fed by a Sonos connect directly and I play Spotify at max resolution. In my humble opinion everything sounds great and it can get loud easily. And it's super convenient. I hit play on Spotify and it automatically switches on the amp and we're off, and I control volume directly from the Spotify app (i.e the sonos connect acts as a preamp)

TheWalkman

Now I understand when Amrir wrote in his review that the speakers needed a lot of power. With 2 Sabaj A8 (IcePower 250 watts per channel in BTL mode) the speakers were able to have much more bass and a more dynamic sound. With the Topping PA5 and with the Sabaj a8 in stereo mode (65 watt per channel) the sound is very good but the bass is much weaker. For my tastes I will use the two Sabaj but I will also keep the Topping to diversify the plays.
This is interesting to me: I don’t see this at all. I have both the PA 5 and a Niles 2150 (as well as an Aiyima 04 and 07) I switch between and I find the bass just fine with the Elacs.

I don‘t find them power hungry at all. They sound fantastic and plenty loud with modest power.

rnj

This is interesting to me: I don’t see this at all. I have both the PA 5 and a Niles 2150 (as well as an Aiyima 04 and 07) I switch between and I find the bass just fine with the Elacs.

I don‘t find them power hungry at all. They sound fantastic and plenty loud with modest power.
I agree. My niles si2100 has 100 watts @8ohms, and that is more than plenty to drive the elac dbr62

wyup

trust me I tried the same speakers (Elac DBr-62) with a Nc252mp = good but with a Nc502MP it's a fly over the Ocean ........ :)
for what volumes, full power?
what does it change at low volumes? I'm thinking of a NC122MP (lower distorsion at low power) but you put me down.. ;-)

Audiofool1Q84

for what volumes, full power?
what does it change at low volumes? I'm thinking of a NC122MP (lower distorsion at low power) but you put me down.. ;-)
I have the NC 250 with my DBRs and have comfortably driven them up to about 98 db without breaking too much of a sweat. In most conditions the 500 may be overkill (unless budget is not a constraint).

DanielT

Major Contributor
Abosolut buy a powerful class D amplifier. But one that sits in an active subwoofer. Signal , for example, a DAC with volume control to the subwoofer. Line out from subwoofer to your NAD C320. If the subwoofer does not have an HP filter on the line out, turn the bass tone control down to 0 on your NAD C320 and set the crossover frequency of your subwoofer, the LP filter, to 100 Hz.:)
It can work well, although perhaps not completely optimally. If you're lucky, it will be fine. I had tried to do that to begin with anyway.:D

NAD C320:
Screenshot_2023-01-19_114004.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-01-19_113946.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-19_113946.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 42

Pippo

I drive DBR's with SMSL A300. After month of use, I am completely satisfied. If somebody for short, 400$ costs 2xA300 and much more power in BTL mode.

wyup

Bookshelf speakers need beefy amp. Stop
And high towers small? What's the reasoning? All there is to it is sensitivity and impedance curve. A low sensitivity speaker needs bit more power to sound and if its impedance is low and its curve dips up and down the frequency spectrum it will require an amp with enough power reserve (current) and dynamics. But most bookshelf speakers need less power than bigger, less cabinet air to move..
Unless you want a subwoofer..

If you don't need high volumes all you need is a near impedance invariant amp, like a D class one. So it may drive 2, 4, 6 and 8 ohm frequencies equally. So at low volumes a NC122MP should drive a dbr62 well, without need of more power. If it were a low power AB amp, it would be different. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

marcom22

And high towers small? What's the reasoning? All there is to it is sensitivity and impedance curve. A low sensitivity speaker needs bit more power to sound and if its impedance is low and its curve dips up and down the frequency spectrum it will require an amp with enough power reserve (current) and dynamics. But most bookshelf speakers need less power than bigger, less cabinet air to move..
Unless you want a subwoofer..

If you don't need high volumes all you need is a near impedance invariant amp, like a D class one. So it may drive 2, 4, 6 and 8 ohm frequencies equally. So at low volumes a NC122MP should drive a dbr62 well, without need of more power. If it were a low power AB amp, it would be different. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not so expert to explain well the problem BUT Amir tells that Dbr-62 (like other bookshelfs) need beefy amp and I tried it on my skin.
I start with hypex NC122MP = SAD
LAter NC252MP = better
Finally with NC502MP = happy
Now with NC502MP + Topping Pre90 = I'm a God :)

holbob

Well my skin is amp free, but I agree that a NC122MP isn't powerful enough, so I upgraded to a NC252MP also.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Is that much power needed for the ELAC DBR62?

At 75 dB listening volume, 83 dB sensitive speakers with 15 dB headroom for dynamic in the music, it becomes, according to this calculator:
Screenshot_2023-01-19_220446.jpg

Edit:
Regarding listening distance:

This with distance and sound pressure level in rooms is a very misunderstood area. In a normal listening room, the listener is placed in the so-called the reverberation field, where the room contributions dominate over the direct sound contribution. This means that the listening distance has little significance for the sound pressure level at distances above about two meters.

Exactly how it all turns out depends on the speaker's directional index, the room's equivalent absorption area and to a lesser extent on the distance, but between the thumb and forefinger you can say that the sound pressure level in the listening position from a speaker in a reasonably normal setup roughly corresponds to the sound pressure level at one meter measured in free field . If you e.g. has a speaker with the voltage sensitivity 90 dB, 2.83 V, 1 m i.e. 1 W in 8 ohms, then you have about 100 dB in the listening position for 10 W in 8 ohms. With two speakers, the sound pressure level increases by approx. 3 dB.

Last edited:

marcom22

Is that much power needed for the ELAC DBR62?

At 75 dB listening volume, 83 dB sensitive speakers with 15 dB headroom for dynamic in the music, it becomes, according to this calculator:
View attachment 258369

Edit:
Regarding listening distance:

This with distance and sound pressure level in rooms is a very misunderstood area. In a normal listening room, the listener is placed in the so-called the reverberation field, where the room contributions dominate over the direct sound contribution. This means that the listening distance has little significance for the sound pressure level at distances above about two meters.

Exactly how it all turns out depends on the speaker's directional index, the room's equivalent absorption area and to a lesser extent on the distance, but between the thumb and forefinger you can say that the sound pressure level in the listening position from a speaker in a reasonably normal setup roughly corresponds to the sound pressure level at one meter measured in free field . If you e.g. has a speaker with the voltage sensitivity 90 dB, 2.83 V, 1 m i.e. 1 W in 8 ohms, then you have about 100 dB in the listening position for 10 W in 8 ohms. With two speakers, the sound pressure level increases by approx. 3 dB.

are you a clown? I suggest you to change job

DanielT

Major Contributor
are you a clown? I suggest you to change job
I did not create that calculator. Don't yell at me about it.You can discuss what you think is wrong with it here:

Take such a calculator for what it is. Power to speakers. Bass drivers (especially sub bass drivers) require much more power than tweeters for example.
If you also want to EQ, more headroom may be required.

Another calculator:
Screenshot_2023-01-19_225550.jpg

Edit:
Incidentally, you want to listen at 85 dB, all else equal in my example then 200 watts are needed.At 95 dB listening volume, 2000 watts are then needed.
Try the calculators and you'll see. Nothing strange about this.

Last edited:

wyup

I'm not so expert to explain well the problem BUT Amir tells that Dbr-62 (like other bookshelfs) need beefy amp and I tried it on my skin.
LAter NC252MP = better
Oh really? Now I'm at odds. Amir said an 'Ayima' would do the job, and it's not hundeds of watts. Some other people have said 100w-less amps do well, including NC122MP. Who should I believe?

I only need the amp to control the Elacs at low volumes, but without sounding thin. I live in a flat, and have neighbours behind, above and below. I can't turn the thing up. So I just want the minimum hypex amp to sound good at low power. I'm not going the return route up to 500 watts!

Last edited:

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
LAter NC252MP = better
If what you're implying is that at equal listening levels, and with the amps within their clipping edge, you hear a more powerful amp sound better, just for being more powerful, then well, you're wrong.

If what you're implying is that at equal listening levels, and with the amps within their clipping edge, you hear a more powerful amp sound better, just for being more powerful, then well, you're wrong.
Does music or movie fx actually contain content that can push an aiyima to the 70watt/ch ceiling? I've never seen my aiyima go above 6 watts at the wall even turned up to earbleed. Should I be measuring the output instead? Will I ever see 70watt there in real content ?

Top Bottom