• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

class D Amp recomendation for ELAC DBR62, under 300$

bineverlast

I'm not so expert to explain well the problem BUT Amir tells that Dbr-62 (like other bookshelfs) need beefy amp and I tried it on my skin.
I start with hypex NC122MP = SAD
LAter NC252MP = better
Finally with NC502MP = happy
Now with NC502MP + Topping Pre90 = I'm a God :)
so like...your amp is more expensive than your speakers? that's not a wise way to allocate your $ man.

geek101

Forum Donor
The speakers are measured by reviewers to be around 83 db efficient. How far do you sit from the speakers and what is your typical spl level you listen to?. Do you also watch movies?.

I recently setup up Aiyima 07 with stock 32v 5amp power supply and at 10 feet for Elacs Unifi ref ubr63 and I did not notice any problem with levels and distortion that I have listened to. Average level is around 76 db.

If you need more power upgrade to 32v 10amp power supply may be or go with dual Sabaj a10a 2022 , each can be in BTL mode and can give a total of 450W. Around $320.

In the room and due to preferences of listener I found Aiyima 07 adequate and returned the Sabaj a10a.

Dual speakers ie two speakers bump up the volume hence may be using 83 db for amp requirement calculation is not best way. May be use 86 db etc.

Timstunes

Forum Donor
I did not create that calculator. Don't yell at me about it.You can discuss what you think is wrong with it here:

Take such a calculator for what it is. Power to speakers. Bass drivers (especially sub bass drivers) require much more power than tweeters for example.
If you also want to EQ, more headroom may be required.

Another calculator:
View attachment 258378

Edit:
Incidentally, you want to listen at 85 dB, all else equal in my example then 200 watts are needed.At 95 dB listening volume, 2000 watts are then needed.
Try the calculators and you'll see. Nothing strange about this.
2000 watts? Ok.

wyup

For what's worth, I bought a Hypex NC122MP based Audiophonics amp for my DBR62's, and it has so much power that I had to mod it to approx half its gain (-13db) by removing two resistors on the board, as advised by Hypex. Now I can use the whole potentiometer range on my Aune X8 XVIII dac in soft increments, and it covers my listening volumes, as I live in an appartment and don't push it for TV A/V. Before the mod I could only use ~1/4 of the pot, in coarse increments, and I was sending too small a signal to the amplifier.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
2000 watts? Ok.
You see the answer at 1:30 in the sketch.;)

Joking aside, 2000 watts is overkill for most (all?) home hi-fi speakers BUT there are those that go up to those wattage levels to drive their subwoofers. You rarely need that much for home hifi subwoofers, but ok, if you come across a PA amp at a good price, then why not.:)

John weiner

Oh really? Now I'm at odds. Amir said an 'Ayima' would do the job, and it's not hundeds of watts. Some other people have said 100w-less amps do well, including NC122MP. Who should I believe?

I only need the amp to control the Elacs at low volumes, but without sounding thin. I live in a flat, and have neighbours behind, above and below. I can't turn the thing up. So I just want the minimum hypex amp to sound good at low power. I'm not going the return route up to 500 watts!
I would suggest the nad c320. I love in the same situation and i own a c320 and it os perfect at low volume

wyup

I would suggest the nad c320. I love in the same situation and i own a c320 and it os perfect at low volume
Thanks for the tip, but I must confess I owned a c320bee in the past and I sold it because of too coarse volume level adjustement and too forward sounding. I bought a Onkyo A-9010 then, more gentle sounding, and recently i bought the Hypex NC122MP based Audiophonics, which actually sounds very similar to the Onkyo. They drive the Elacs very close, the Hypex little more control and less brilliance up-top. The Onkyo for the price is hard to beat, with a surprisingly good Wolfson dac.

CauliflowerEars

Has anyone maybe compared Fosi V3 (48 V PSU), Topping PA5 II, and SMSL A300, with the Elac DBR62?
I currently have the V3, but still in the return window and am curious, if the other could be a good upgrade (partly, considering the reported load dependency of the V3).

bobcat11

Has anyone maybe compared Fosi V3 (48 V PSU), Topping PA5 II, and SMSL A300, with the Elac DBR62?
I currently have the V3, but still in the return window and am curious, if the other could be a good upgrade (partly, considering the reported load dependency of the V3).
I'm following this thread because I have Elac dbr62 with Fosi Audio V3. Seems to have enough power, loud enough for me. However, I don't like the highs around 6000 Hz. Little tinny and exaggerated causing my ears to ring.
Also kind of dull with little punch and snap at lower volumes. My room may have something to do with the overall sound. However, the treble ringing is heard up close as well.
I've tried several dacs.

Top Bottom