• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D amp powered with 12v inverter?

OP
D

Destination: Moon

Is your inverter a "true sine wave?" If not, then the amp may run warmer than usual.

One of them is supposed to be..... but I've read some articles that seem to say that without an ociliscope it's impossible to know what the wave looks like? If it's a cheapie inverter square wave, will it damage the amp?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Do we know what the PSU is inside the DA-9? Likely an SMPS and it won't love modified square wave inverters. Like @amirm said, things may get hot (or worse).

If it's a true sine inverter, you should be right.

sgent

If this is for a permanent install (RV, Boat, etc.) I would find something with a DC in and use that. 12V -> buck booster -> DAC is much, much more efficient than 12V -> inverter -> transformer -> DAC. Depends on the specifics but could be twice as effecient.

OP
D

Destination: Moon

If this is for a permanent install (RV, Boat, etc.) I would find something with a DC in and use that. 12V -> buck booster -> DAC is much, much more efficient than 12V -> inverter -> transformer -> DAC. Depends on the specifics but could be twice as effecient.

No it's for outdoor occasional listening in places with no electricity using what they call a solar generator.

Top Bottom