• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D amp long term reliability

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been using some class d amps for just about 10 years now. Time will tell. Had one of my older AB amps recently create too much transformer noise but took about 35 years.

jae

Major Contributor
If one of the modules or the power supply fails after warranty and it's really a pain to fix yourself just replace it at a fraction of the cost of the original amp. The shipping cost of sending heavy gear class A/AB off or paying for servicing out of warranty could very well exceed the cost of just buying a new module, and many people forget this fact. You are already saving massive amounts by buying class D in the first place, pessimistically if it lasts half the time but costs half as much, then there's no real loss there. The savings can be passed onto a new product, and who doesn't like buying the latest and greatest gear?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My NAD C298 at $2,000 is just a skosh above throwaway cost. Yet its sound reproduction is sublime.

If I have to buy another one in 3 years because it craps out, so be it. I'll have gotten great value out of it.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
who doesn't like buying the latest and greatest gear?[/QUOTE]
Apparently me. I don't get enjoyment fixing fix older stuff (I just want it to work when I turn it on) & I don't enjoy the research & shopping to get new stuff. Thank God that my wife doesn't like shopping either. I set up & mostly leave things alone for years & years, as long as it still works as intended.
I do annual maintenance checks, pulling off covers, getting the dust out, etc. But I'd rather be out in the boat or driving to a waterfall.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My NAD C298 at $2,000 is just a skosh above throwaway cost. Yet its sound reproduction is sublime.

If I have to buy another one in 3 years because it craps out, so be it. I'll have gotten great value out of it.

Hate to see what you find value in in cars and some other stuff if a very few years of amp works. Throw away society indeed. Especially NAD :) (Not always dependable)

antennaguru

I have had two (2) Class D plate amps and one (1) Class AB plate amp fail in active subwoofers, which is why I am totally against active speakers of any kind. The question is not if they will fail but when, and when they do fail you will NOT be able to find a replacement plate amp that is the same size that fits the hole, with the same hole pattern as none of this is standardized. At that point it's all either landfill material or you will make an aluminum adapter plate in your metal shop to get the replacement to fit, and you will also drill a whole bunch more holes in the wood byproduct cabinet for the new screw hole pattern. BTW when one of those Class D plate amps failed it took out the woofer as well.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had two (2) Class D plate amps and one (1) Class AB plate amp fail in active subwoofers, which is why I am totally against active speakers of any kind. The question is not if they will fail but when, and when they do fail you will NOT be able to find a replacement plate amp that is the same size that fits the hole, with the same hole pattern as none of this is standardized. At that point it's all either landfill material or you will make an aluminum adapter plate in your metal shop to get the replacement to fit, and you will also drill a whole bunch more holes in the wood byproduct cabinet for the new screw hole pattern. BTW when one of those Class D plate amps failed it took out the woofer as well.

Then again there's no particular reason to replace with another limited plate amp. Go external if the driver/box is worthy...

antennaguru

Then again there's no particular reason to replace with another limited plate amp. Go external if the driver/box is worthy...

Once you have a hole you have a hole. You're going to have to fill it with something, otherwise you still have a hole...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Once you have a hole you have a hole. You're going to have to fill it with something, otherwise you still have a hole...
Holes are easily filled, what's the point?

ps replacing the entire plate is not what I'm referring to

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Yeah, I just am not thinking of the equipment I buy today the way I was thinking about the equipment I bought back in the 90s. Part of it is how relatively inexpensive it all is now - and the truth is, there will be something new out there in the future that will replace what I am using now. With my older equipment, I can't really afford to keep it all in 100% shape , so over time I am thinning that herd and picking the few receivers/amps, speakers and tape decks that I want to maintain.

antennaguru

Holes are easily filled, what's the point?

ps replacing the entire plate is not what I'm referring to

How do you suggest filling the hole in a speaker cabinet left behind by the failed plate amp, to then use an external amp instead? Cut a piece of plywood scrap to cover the hole and secure it with 10 penny nails driven into the cabinet? If you use a rigid panel should you damp it? How do you build the replacement panel so it uses about the same amount of internal volume as the old plate amp did inside the cabinet, in order to maintain the T/S tuning the manufacturer intended?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you suggest filling the hole in a speaker cabinet left behind by the failed plate amp, to then use an external amp instead? Cut a piece of plywood scrap to cover the hole and secure it with 10 penny nails driven into the cabinet? If you use a rigid panel should you damp it? How do you build the replacement panel so it uses about the same amount of internal volume as the old plate amp did inside the cabinet, in order to maintain the T/S tuning the manufacturer intended?

While I'd generally leave the plate amp in place, there are variety of ways. Just drilling/sealing some avenue for the wires isn't difficult.

ps as to any necessary dsp to compensate for design, better to use an external amp/and or dsp unit with more dsp capabilites.

Reactions: JRS

antennaguru

While I'd generally leave the plate amp in place, there are variety of ways. Just drilling/sealing some avenue for the wires isn't difficult.

ps as to any necessary dsp to compensate for design, better to use an external amp/and or dsp unit with more dsp capabilites.

I see what you're getting at. No thanks I'd toss the speaker before I left a non-functioning plate amp still installed in it, and slipped a pair of wires past it. IMO someone else will end up with it after my estate sale, and while trying to figure out how to make the old plate amp work will probably say: "What kind of XX$%X@X would do something like this?" "He was supposedly a XX$%X@X engineer, how could he?"

Last edited:

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Thats an unusually large number of subwoofer failures for one person. Are you sure your using them correctly? Is this user error??
I think active anything is not for you.

Its easy to bypass the plate amp if you want to salvage the sub.

antennaguru

Yeah, I just am not thinking of the equipment I buy today the way I was thinking about the equipment I bought back in the 90s. Part of it is how relatively inexpensive it all is now - and the truth is, there will be something new out there in the future that will replace what I am using now. With my older equipment, I can't really afford to keep it all in 100% shape , so over time I am thinning that herd and picking the few receivers/amps, speakers and tape decks that I want to maintain.

Inexpensive today? A little over ten years ago Yamaha produced their NS-1000 speakers for $1000 a pair, and sold many. Today their replacement for the NS-1000 is their NS-5000 for $15,000 a pair, which granted their replacement is quite higher performance, but it sure doesn't seem to me like prices are coming down, even in real dollars. Turntables? Technics has a $20,000 one today.

antennaguru

Thats an unusually large number of subwoofer failures for one person. Are you sure your using them correctly? Is this user error??
I think active anything is not for you.

Yuuup, it's over ten years on six systems, and no they were not abused - unless living in an enclosed speaker cabinet is considered abuse of an amplifier.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last year the protection circuit of my NAD C370 was getting slower an slower. So i was thinking after 20 year lets buy a new class D amp. Than i Read how simple It is to repair it. It cost me less than 5,- euro's on better quality parts (some capacitors) an 35,- euro on labour Cost. The faulty placed (bloody hot) zenner diod was relocated to the others side of the circuit board so it could not damage the near located New capacitors anymore. The Guy who did the repair job could not find Any other issues. So let see if it last another 20 years or longer.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see what you're getting at. No thanks I'd toss the speaker before I left a non-functioning plate amp still installed in it, and slipped a pair of wires past it. IMO someone else will end up with it after my estate sale, and while trying to figure out how to make the old plate amp work will probably say: "What kind of XX$%X@X would do something like this?" "He was supposedly a XX$%X@X engineer, how could he?"
Hey, if it's beyond your skillz....but wtf cares after you're dead?

Top Bottom