• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D amp long term reliability

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
As far a providing schematics goes: I can understand manufacturers not wanting to provide schematics and service manuals, don't like it, but do understand that they don't want cheap (likely Chinese) companies using them to make their designs and sell them for a fraction of the price. Sadly, is happening and is not an unreasonable fear.

Regards,
Greg
Piracy of designs which a company sunk huge money into developing in an unfortunate reality. If I owned a company, I certainly wouldn't want to devote a year or so of R&D time only to give my work away for free so somebody can use my design to create cheap knock-offs. Keeping schematics confidential helps, although it isn't a total solution since things can be reverse engineered.

egellings

Major Contributor
One thing that can help make D more reliable is that it tends to run cool, compared to class A, AB, which run warm to hot. High temperature may degrade the reliability of a device more than having more cool-running components in it does.

antennaguru

Piracy of designs which a company sunk huge money into developing in an unfortunate reality. If I owned a company, I certainly wouldn't want to devote a year or so of R&D time only to give my work away for free so somebody can use my design to create cheap knock-offs. Keeping schematics confidential helps, although it isn't a total solution since things can be reverse engineered.
This is true, and cheap knock-offs can occur through reverse engineering. The way to fight this is of course with greater economy of scale. However, much of the larger scale piracy often happens when a manufacturer decides to become even more cost competitive and sends their design to China for production at better economy of scale, and they work together with the plant officials to get a plant fully geared up to build their product at the appropriate quality, ensuring adequate QC steps. However, they only actually need 8 hours a day of the plant operating to meet their demand quantity. They hope that demand quantity will eventually increase and even more production can be generated, allowing the plant to operate longer each day.

What happens during the "idle" time at the plant is that it often continues to plug away making the same product for a local investor, who then sells that product at an even lower price by skipping some QC steps, using idle plant time, etc. This clearly happened with the IcePower modules, and was also how Huawei started making Lucent cellular base stations. They are truly clones of the original product, but less expensive without some "expensive" QC steps, and by virtue of using idle plant time.

antennaguru

One thing that can help make D more reliable is that it tends to run cool, compared to class A, AB, which run warm to hot. High temperature may degrade the reliability of a device more than having more cool-running components in it does.
Maybe in some cases this generalization is true, given the same enclosure volume and heat sinking for all classes. The comparison goes out the window when you factor in that a designer of a hotter running amplifier class designs for that. Plus you have the generalization that Class D has high idle inefficiency.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I discovered that a class D amp could be more hot at idle than a class AB playing music!
I got a Yamaha WXA-50 that is hot at idle, I am guessing due to the design of the power supply.
It is not a good news for the reliability of the ICE module that is inside.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The number one factor deciding longevity of electronics is heat. Class D is by far the coolest class of amplifiers. That being said, I would bet on high quality class A amp to have longer mean time between failures than cheap class D amp with inexpensive off brand capacitors that also serve as dual purpose fire crackers.

Take for example Stax SRM 1, these things are approaching 4 decades yet still run. They may need to have the capacitors replaced at this point and then they are good to go for another 20 years.
So 40 years for the original, but only another 20 if you refurbish?

Graph Feppar

So 40 years for the original, but only another 20 if you refurbish?
Depends on the usage. Many of these SRM 1 were sitting unused for long time which means they might have their original capacitors and still work. It is good idea to change the capacitors every 20 years even if they work to prevent catastrophic failure. Its like riding a car with old dirty black oil as lubricant, it will run but its good idea to change it.

Reactions: EJ3

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I discovered that a class D amp could be more hot at idle than a class AB playing music!
I got a Yamaha WXA-50 that is hot at idle, I am guessing due to the design of the power supply.
I suspect it is the other signal processing in the Yamaha streaming amplifier and not (just) the class D audio amplifier that is increasing idle consumption. It is true that efficiency drops for class D amplifiers at low output, just as for any other class of amplifier, but is still generally better than class AB at comparable power. You'd have to know more about where the power is being used to make a true comparison.

Here is a random picture pulled from the Internet for a class D amplifier module (by ICEpower):

Class-D-efficiency.jpg

This indicates very low efficiency at low power, but consider the actual idle power for this amplifier:

Class-D-input-power.jpg

A class-AB amplifier with ~100 W output may have idle power around 10 W or so depending upon the design (some use more, some less, but I do not know of any with only 1 W idle consumption).

HTH - Don

pma

Major Contributor

My NC252MP amplifier eats 17W at idle and low volume, if it helps. It has big heatsinks, so remains cold all time.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What the hell is it doing with 17 watts at idle? That is much higher than I'd have expected.

At low volume I can understand it, because full switching losses will be present regardless of output power. At Idle I'd sort of assumed it would stop switching.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect it is the other signal processing in the Yamaha streaming amplifier and not (just) the class D audio amplifier that is increasing idle consumption. It is true that efficiency drops for class D amplifiers at low output, just as for any other class of amplifier, but is still generally better than class AB at comparable power. You'd have to know more about where the power is being used to make a true comparison.

Here is a random picture pulled from the Internet for a class D amplifier module (by ICEpower):

Class-D-efficiency.jpg

This indicates very low efficiency at low power, but consider the actual idle power for this amplifier:

Class-D-input-power.jpg

A class-AB amplifier with ~100 W output may have idle power around 10 W or so depending upon the design (some use more, some less, but I do not know of any with only 1 W idle consumption).

HTH - Don
This is the thing. Class D amplifiers themselves are efficient and have low idle power, but when the power supplies are considered there is often little difference between some Class AB. The ATI nCore amps with linear PS idle at something like 30W. @pma measured 17W idle for the NC252MP which isn't too out of line with the Hypex data sheet.

pma

Major Contributor
What the hell is it doing with 17 watts at idle? That is much higher than I'd have expected.
SMPS + 2 channels. If you look in Hypex datasheets, it is just normal. Just to read them. This is engineering, not feelings. 8.5W SMPS, 3.5W amp channel x 2. This makes 15.5W. The remaining 1.5W would be the softstart module.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
This is the thing. Class D amplifiers themselves are efficient and have low idle power, but when the power supplies are considered there is often little difference between some Class AB. The ATI nCore amps with linear PS idle at something like 30W. @pma measured 17W idle for the NC252MP which isn't too out of line with the Hypex data sheet.
The ATI nCore amps have a sleep function which places the modules into low power standby after 10 minutes or so. The linear supply is still operating though and there is power being used there.

Reactions: pma

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Looking at ATI, a highly-regarded manufacturer, an ATI AT522 (class D) lists 30 W at idle, whereas an AT1822 (class AB) lists 45 W, so for these two-channel 200 W/ch amplifiers the class AB design requires 50% more idle power. At full rated power into 8 ohms, the class D amp requires 500 W, and the class AB 665 W -- significant (33% more), but not as large as I would have guessed. I would expect the ratio to vary considerably with design decisions, and you cannot compare power for a stand-alone amplifier with another amplifier that includes additional processing since the extra "stuff" adds to the power consumption. That includes AVRs, integrated amps, streaming amplifiers like the previously-mentioned Yamaha, stand-alone amplifiers that include DSPs (e.g. some Crown models), and so forth.

It would be interesting to compare some other amplifiers' power consumption but I am not curious enough (or have enough free time) to research it... When I was looking at amplifiers a few years ago, class D designs consumed 30% to 50% or so the power of a comparable class AB design at rated output, but I was not looking at idle consumption.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
When I was looking at amplifiers a few years ago, class D designs consumed 30% to 50% or so the power of a comparable class AB design at rated output, but I was not looking at idle consumption.
And... ahem... I am still thinking that comparison of the two topologies under in between conditions (i.e., where the amps actually operate most of the time) might also be interesting and informative. :)

The info in recent posts to this thread about power supply consumption is interesting, too.

pma

Major Contributor
That’s why even these class D modules need proper heatsinks. Imagine an 8-channel amplifier, 4 x NC252MP or NC502MP. And the assemblers put them into cases with plain sheet metal bottom as a heatsink! We can see the teardowns here. No wonder it fails after some time.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
And... ahem... I am still thinking that comparison of the two topologies under in between conditions (i.e., where the amps actually operate most of the time) might also be interesting and informative. :)

The info in recent posts to this thread about power supply consumption is interesting, too.
Of course, it would be nice if all amps provided a plot of power consumption vs. output power, and there was a map to the Big Rock Candy Mountain, but... :)

How much power is wasted in a power supply depends upon the input and output voltages and such; another parameter that can be widely (or, wildly) variable. Class H and G designs waste much less power in the amplifier circuitry at lower power output, natch, but unless it is an SMPS may waste more in the power supply. Still usually an overall (big) win for switching/tracking supply rails.

To tie back to the topic, sort of, less wasted heat should improve reliability, but there are a myriad of other factors in play like component count and quality. I have an old Pioneer AVR using class D amplifiers that is still working after 10+ years, a class AB amp that died after about 3 years, another that is working after 30+, etc. I am not sure where to look for reliable reliability data; it (e.g. MTBF/MTTF) is not something manufacturers usually publish.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This discussion is the exact reason I love the beauty and simplicity of the logarithmic scale.:oops:
If the overall power consumption difference between ClassAB/ClassD is but <2dB: Yet, the potential for audio signal mayhem by ClassD are orders of magnitude higher; I think I will continue to re-use our live Christmas tree every year and feel only <2dB guilt about buying ClassAB amps in the future.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Purifi-based NAD C298 is room temperature at idle and during active use. Absolutely no discernable warmth added to the enclosure in which it resides. I don't have a wattmeter to verify, though.

Top Bottom