• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D Amp is bad for critical listening? ? ?

Willem

Major Contributor
It is this kind of thing: https://www.amazon.de/Olympia-Steck...achsteckdose-Verteilersteckdose/dp/B0146YBAJA Each market will have its own specific version for voltage and plug type, of course. You plug the master (i.e. the preamp/dac) into the master socket and the slave(s) (the power amp and possibly other units) into the multiple slave sockets. When you turn on the master (the preamp/dac) a sensor will notice that electricity is now going through the socket, and switches on the electricity supply to the other sockets).
My issue was that the AD-2 only uses about 6.5 watt or so (if I remember correctly) when turned on and that is not enough for the sensor to activate the slave sockets. Adding a permanent consumption of about 2 watt from another unit (in my case the CCA) lifts the combined consumption above the about 7-8 wat threshold of the sensor. If you preamp/DAC consumes more, there will be no issue, of course.

OP
V

veeceem

@Willem it is no different compare to, for example, turning 2 switches on a power strip manually in a delayed fashion? :| That's what I can think of after reading youur words :|

Willem

Major Contributor
The master slave power strip is hidden out of sight, however. So this is neater because I can use the switch on the preamp to activate the rest. In fact, using the master slave power strip allows me to have the entire power amplifier out of sight, with just the small ADI-2 visible. Unlike some, I prefer to see as little as possible of my audio gear.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Class D amps I use make my speakers sound tight in the bass department.
No problem with treble neither.

Novak

I have a Purifi pow amp. I first used my DAC for volume control (which should be the most transparent alternative) . I recently added a passive pre amp in between (Hattor mini) . It is very satisfying for volume control (smooth) and quite less expensive than benchmark la4.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently added a passive pre amp in between (Hattor mini) . It is very satisfying for volume control (smooth) and quite less expensive than benchmark la4
Still very expensive for what it is imho

Top Bottom