• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D Amp is bad for critical listening? ? ?

veeceem

Edit: found a link to measurements of NAD M12 and M22:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...preamp-and-m22-stereo-power-amplifier-review/

There are 2 major problems I'm up against when finding a good power amplifier atm:
1/ There's no Benchmark AHB2 or Hypex NC400 DIY kits in my country, so I'm forced to buy its alternative, which is NAD M22 V2, but then I was told that [Class D amp can't do treble, it sounds bad, ect...] - Is this statement TRUE? Or as long as the measurements are exceptional, it will sound good REGARDLESS of CLASS?
2/ If NAD M22 V2 is not that great, then is there another option to pick from? (I'm from Vietnam, not all brands are available, so just list ones that good enough (in measurements of course))
3/ If NAD is good enough, then just tell me to pick it :)
My current system: Chord QUtest -> Rouge Cronus Magnum 3 -> Tannoy Kengsinton GR
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Reactions: ENG

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

maty

Major Contributor
My current system: Chord QUtest -> Rouge Cronus Magnum 3 -> Tannoy Kengsinton GR

Tannoy has 94 dB and the tube amp is 100 watts. Wait a few months to see how the new PURIFI turns out and others.

With those speakers I would try a low power and very low distortion AB class amplifier. Danny Richie likes the DIY Folsom's TDA 7297. With car battery he has very clean power.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138229.0

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/309860-folsom-diy7297-amp-antipole-psu.html

-> https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/309860-folsom-diy7297-amp-antipole-psu-post5752923.html

Folsom-DIY729-by-sffrhd-inside.png

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/06/04/gr-research-dodd-audio-lone-star-audio-fest-2019/
The scary thing about it all, is that these 94db sensitive loudspeakers were being driven by battery powered 10-watt chip amps from Danny, and fronted by Dodd Audio battery powered electronics.

OP
V

veeceem

@maty can you point out some not-DIY amps with the points you mentioned? Thanks

BillG

Major Contributor
I was told that [Class D amp can't do treble, it sounds bad, ect...] - Is this statement TRUE?

No, it's not. There have been a number of Class D amps reviewed here with never a mention of that problem. Unless the manufacturer does something terribly wrong in their implementation, any ICEpower or Hypex based amplifier will be very satisfying to listen to.

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Chip amps like the one mentioned above are the ones I was thinking about when typing that many class AB are not that good in the treble.
And frankly, I don't event understand how one can compare a 15W chip amp to a 400W Ncore.
If you have the money and want to keep things simple (no custom hassle), go for the NAD.
BTW, if you have a bit of time, the N22 will soon be replaced. Prices will do down.

Reactions: ENG

maty

Major Contributor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not about shipping :( the truth is, I prefer brands thats available in VN, because to ship something to VN is easy, but to get thru customs to my hands is a BIG trouble -_-
I got my Apollon shipped to Brazil, and I don't know any customs worst than here. :)

OP
V

veeceem

https://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-masters-series-m22-power-amplifier-measurements
1/ According to these measurements, does the NAD M22 v2 competitive with Hypex NC400 measurements of ASR?
2/ Is it considered SOTA and perform/sound as good as Benchmark AHB2? (Neutral with no colors)
This NAD M22 v2 seems like the only option available in my country atm.
Btw, I plan to spend up to $10k for the amp, so feel free to give recommendations of amps with "good measurements", in the Hypex or AHB2 league.
Thanks!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good lord. Customs is so bad you’d spend $9k to avoid it?

OP
V

veeceem

Good lord. Customs is so bad you’d spend $9k to avoid it?
"Up to" means $1 to $10k I think :)
Reason I ask for pow-amp with ABH2-like-measurements is because it's hard to buy something by myself abroad.
That's why I'm considerd NAD M22 v2, which is one with good measurement, because it is available in my country.
(Tbh, shipping x2 of Hypex mono kits from abroad will cost as much as buying NAD M22 v2 in my country, [shipping fee + tax + "CUSTOMs FEE"] - if u know what I mean)
So is NAD M22 v2 is superb as the last amp to buy? Or is there another option is the main question here :( and lets just stick to it :(
Thanks

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Reason I ask for pow-amp with ABH2-like-measurements is because it's hard to buy something by myself abroad.
That's why I'm considerd NAD M22 v2, which is one with good measurement, because it is available in my country.
(Tbh, shipping x2 of Hypex mono kits from abroad will cost as much as buying NAD M22 v2 in my country, [shipping fee + tax + "CUSTOMs FEE"] - if u know what I mean)
So is NAD M22 v2 is superb as the last amp to buy? Or is there another option is the main question here :( and lets just stick to it :(
Thanks

I suggest buying airplane tickets, flying to the place of your liking (Tokyo comes to mind), and buy whatever electronics your heart chooses there. Since you will be buying a single unit - the customs should not have any questions! :)

orangejello

https://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-masters-series-m22-power-amplifier-measurements
1/ According to these measurements, does the NAD M22 v2 competitive with Hypex NC400 measurements of ASR?
2/ Is it considered SOTA and perform/sound as good as Benchmark AHB2? (Neutral with no colors)
This NAD M22 v2 seems like the only option available in my country atm.
Btw, I plan to spend up to $10k for the amp, so feel free to give recommendations of amps with "good measurements", in the Hypex or AHB2 league.
Thanks!
I had the NAD M22 v2 and the AHB2 in my house side by side for a month. I chose the NAD. I have owned everything from solid state Class A and A/B to all kinds of tube amps including high powered single ended Class A. The NAD is the best amp I have owned. Every time I sit down to listen it puts a smile on my face. So disparagement of class D nc400 modules does not comport with my experience. You might want to wait until NAD introduces the Purifi module. The M22 may become cheaper or the Purifi may be better.

Regarding the high end of the spectrum - string quartet music can often be problematic and stridency and screechiness will show up. I was listening to the 1951-1952 mono Budapest Quartet recordings of the Beethoven late quartets last night. This is some essential music that I have gone back to over and over again for almost 3 decades. I have never heard it better rendered than with the NAD. With world music and jazz which feature a lot of percussions and cymbals, the rendering is beautiful. Like I say, it puts a smile on my face. Of course, your mileage may vary.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks
I replied you 2 times, sticking to your questions.
In one of the 2 responses I gave you a link allowing to compare the N27 to the ABH2 explaining that N22 will measure the same as N27. Isn't it enough?

OP
V

veeceem

I had the NAD M22 v2 and the AHB2 in my house side by side for a month. I chose the NAD. I have owned everything from solid state Class A and A/B to all kinds of tube amps including high powered single ended Class A. The NAD is the best amp I have owned. Every time I sit down to listen it puts a smile on my face. So disparagement of class D nc400 modules does not comport with my experience. You might want to wait until NAD introduces the Purifi module. The M22 may become cheaper or the Purifi may be better.

Regarding the high end of the spectrum - string quartet music can often be problematic and stridency and screechiness will show up. I was listening to the 1951-1952 mono Budapest Quartet recordings of the Beethoven late quartets last night. This is some essential music that I have gone back to over and over again for almost 3 decades. I have never heard it better rendered than with the NAD. With world music and jazz which feature a lot of percussions and cymbals, the rendering is beautiful. Like I say, it puts a smile on my face. Of course, your mileage may vary.
M22 v2 it is then! Any suggestions of what pre-amp to use with it? I'm thinking of a DAC+pre solution such as Benchmark DAC3 (I prefer XLR), unfortunately, it is not something I can get here

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've just bought a second hand Cyrus Stereo 200 off a fella on ebay which is a class D and designed in-house by Cyrus.
I guess I'll soon see if class D is up to much..... Just couldn't stretch the budget to the latest offerings from Nord, Apollon etc etc....

Fingers crossed when it arrives... :D

Top Bottom