• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class A vs AB -- Do They Really Sound Different?

dfuller

Major Contributor
As I understand it, the way Benchmark eliminates crossover distortion is through use of negative feed-forward instead of feedback. That presumably allows them to bias considerably lower than one would need to for a more conventional design - is that an accurate assessment or am I off base here?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I believe it is "global feedback" audiophiles don't like.
and yes, class A requires less GFB.
My single ended triode amp, like most, has such a simple circuit that there isn't much gain available to use as feedback, which is probably why most of them don't bother. In mine, I use around 13dB of global feedback which is about all that is available. The result is that the amp has almost unity voltage gain. This is good since it makes noise from the amp so far down that I can barely hear it even with my ear inside the horns. All the drive voltage comes from the preamp which is also vacuum tube.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Attachments

• Figure 1.png
    Figure 1.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Figure 3 upper Parasound Halo JC5_ After Warmup.png
    Figure 3 upper Parasound Halo JC5_ After Warmup.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 126

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Mine do. Here's a couple examples.
It would be interesting to see FFTs of those two since there's a lot going on in the residual.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Note the magnification. Mostly noise dominated. Which FFTs would you like to see?
I was mostly curious what was noise and what was distortion.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My single ended triode amp, like most, has such a simple circuit that there isn't much gain available to use as feedback, which is probably why most of them don't bother. In mine, I use around 13dB of global feedback which is about all that is available. The result is that the amp has almost unity voltage gain. This is good since it makes noise from the amp so far down that I can barely hear it even with my ear inside the horns. All the drive voltage comes from the preamp which is also vacuum tube.
Is that circuit your own design?
did you build it yourself?
BTW, your output device uses local feedback to control distortion. local FB is a lot less problematic .
the GNFB in your case should just about lower output impedance and stop it from oscillating.

pma

Major Contributor
This is my class A (measured with AP SYS-2712 with notch)

02 L-2.png

measured with 500kHz BW
02 L.png

BTW I like that analog generator and transformer outputs of the AP2700

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I was mostly curious what was noise and what was distortion.

The Cambridge's distortion was below the AP's residual. The Parasound wasn't quite as good, though still reasonably decent.
Figure 4 Parasound Halo JC5 Bal vs. Unbal Inputs.png

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Is that circuit your own design?
did you build it yourself?
BTW, your output device uses local feedback to control distortion. local FB is a lot less problematic .
the GNFB in your case should just about lower output impedance and stop it from oscillating.
It is based on a kit and I mostly used the original circuit with significant modifications. The amp did not have global feedback; I added that. Also, the filament supplies are external and regulated, isolated from ground (obviously), and have separate supplies for the left and right channels. The original HV supply is augmented with a choke input and lots of added filter capacitance.

The amp uses fixed bias.

The feedback lowers the overall noise by the amount of the feedback which is 13dB. Since this amp is directly connected to a compression driver which is only operational above 500Hz, output impedance is not really a concern.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I wonder if this is why I got hum from my Parasound A21....
Depending on the sensitivity of your speakers, it could be. Or it could be a ground loop.

pma

Major Contributor
I wonder if this is why I got hum from my Parasound A21....

Even if you disconnect it from other components and short the input??

A21 is not bad re hum. Below is my measurement at 100W. 50Hz is -110dB under 20Vrms fundamental. Halo integrated has some residual hum with ear on the speaker. A21 is silent.

a21_100W.png

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Even if you disconnect it from other components and short the input??

A21 is not bad re hum. Below is my measurement at 100W. 50Hz is -110dB under 20Vrms fundamental. Halo integrated has some residual hum with ear on the speaker. A21 is silent.

View attachment 153156
It is consistent with my A21 and A23. I have tried without anything connected to amp. Just amp to speakers and got hum.

The hum is especially obvious with my Paradigm speakers.

pma

Major Contributor
It is consistent with my A21 and A23. I have tried without anything connected to amp. Just amp to speakers and got hum.

The hum is especially obvious with my Paradigm speakers.

Once again, input open or shorted? Input must not be open. You catch fields then.

Top Bottom