• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class A amplifier

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Proved to me then if you have a digram of MIT Cable just putting capacitors just a cross their terminals. Best have the actual diagrams.

I don't think you have any understanding what's in there.
The 'filter' inside will be a high pass between hot and cold. There will also be a resistor in there. Its called a Boucherot filter.
Most amp manufacturers have these already IN their amps.
This can be essential for high BW amps because the impedance of a speaker at 1MHz or so will be very high.
This filter ensures the amp can remain stable.
Most likely there is also a small inductance in series with the wires because high BW amps can become unstable when they see a high capacitance.

Schermafdruk van 2022-02-04 12-44-44.png

It is very obvious you do not have even some basic (audio)electronics knowledge.
Perhaps it is not the wisest thing to spread the audiophile nonsense here.

Geert

Major Contributor
If you really measure MIT Cable is capacitance over all. It is high pass filer actually.
"FAQs about MIT Interfaces

What's in the box? For over 20 years Bruce Brisson has been researching precisely what the function of a cable is. Simply put, a cable's job is to deliver the signal with frequency, amplitude and phase intact with no distortions of these critical relationships. After years of experimentation and receiving patents on sophisticated cable geometries, he concluded that only after applying network technology would he be able to accomplish that goal.

Inside the box is a series of complex networks comprised of passive components aimed at improving the cable's linearity. The result is easily heard as better bass, improved imaging and focus and more open highs.

Is it a crossover? No. The networks are designed to store and release current and voltage in proper relationships, but do not function as a filter. The cable networks are wired in parallel and do not impair any signal flow; thus, your components are directly connected with high quality materials"

kongwee

Major Contributor
I don't think you have any understanding what's in there.
The 'filter' inside will be a high pass between hot and cold. There will also be a resistor in there. Its called a Boucherot filter.
Most amp manufacturers have these already IN their amps.
This can be essential for high BW amps because the impedance of a speaker at 1MHz or so will be very high.
This filter ensures the amp can remain stable.
Most likely there is also a small inductance in series with the wires because high BW amps can become unstable when they see a high capacitance.

View attachment 184061

It is very obvious you do not have even some basic (audio)electronics knowledge.
Perhaps it is not the wisest thing to spread the audiophile nonsense here.
Draw a schematic digram out this box you saw to prove me wrong.

Geert

Major Contributor
Draw a schematic digram out this box you saw to prove me wrong.
Look one post up. Official info from MIT. Confirms Solderdudes theory, being the filter sits in parallel with the cables. A cable can't be high pass with filter components wired in parallel.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Look one post up. Official info from MIT. Confirms Solderdudes theory, being the filter sits in parallel with the cables. A cable can't be high pass with filter components wired in parallel.
It say real world L and C are in parallel across to the load. It doesn't say it put C parallel like your post earlier. . Prove me wrong. Which paper which page.

Geert

Major Contributor
It say real world L and C are in parallel across to the load. It doesn't say it put C parallel like your post earlier. . Prove me wrong. Which paper which page.
The info from MIT says the filter is in parallel with the speaker wires. That info is not valid because it's not in the format of 'a paper'? If it makes you happy I'll convert it to a .pdf with a MIT logo in the header.

And as it's you who's making claims about the properties of MIT cables, it's up to you to come up with references (papers). You should prove how to make a cable behave like a high pass filter only using components wired in parallel.

kongwee

Major Contributor
The info from MIT says the filter is in parallel with the speaker wires. That info is not valid because it's not in the format of 'a paper'? If it makes you happy I'll convert it to a .pdf with a MIT logo in the header.
Give you the link you should able to tell me the paper and the page. If you insist MIT Cable cable is capacitance, it is a high pass filter. Voodooless provide the wrong diagram. Plus I never said MIT Cable is capacitance, inductive or resistance. It alway dealing with Power Factor. You can use that property protect mHz amp. You can have multiple capacitor, inductor. People already opened it up and found them too. You are dealing with frequency. Power Factor different from one frequency to another with different value of L,C and R. Kieth Johnson want his 1.8mHz -+dB to protect his amp in this way. It is theory not wrong at all. Does anyone swap 0-1.8mHz with voltage and current respect to time domain taken in Spectral MIT cable? What if MIT cable filer the frequency after 1.8mHz as you people claim it is capacitive. Ok, I can agree with you Spectral MIT cable is a low pass filter with roll off at 1.8mHz. I'm wrong and am sorry.

Last edited:
What? Even my 1.5 decades old Class D amp can drive 1 ohm loads just fine:
View attachment 183827
It should do about ~300W in 1 Ohm.

Most amps nowadays don't use massive transformers anymore but opt for an SMPS. These things can deliver massive currents with high efficiencies in a small and light form factor. And some of them are properly regulated as well. They do have an issue with maximum current delivery though. Where a transformer will saturate and sag, an SMPS will often have less desirable behavior.

There is a simple solution though: buy the right tool for the right job. Just stay within the design limits of the equipment.

All these generalizations of amplifier classes are total non-sense. Just judge an amp on its own merits and accomplishments regardless of its design. It's almost like with https://www.lbtechreviews.com/test/hi-fi/vera-audio-p400-1000 This is one of latest Class D amps taking your hypex to a higher level. Even cheap Pyle amps brag about high power but, I’ll repeat. They don’t do well driving 4 ohms or less. I challenge you to look at the company recognition of this Fact. This is a very good amp but is compromised at lower than three ohm loads.

This one for instance. Want more? There is a 2kW model as well, it will do 2kW into 2 Ohm.

That Krell has horrible distortion figures BTW:
View attachment 183828

Only a 52 SINAD at 4W into 2R :facepalm: It's pathetic! It would land the thing in the bottom 3 of the ASR amp SINAD chart. Even the 1W 8R figure is only 72, which lands it just outside of the bottom 10 of the chart.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Audioexcellent can you please stop butchering quotes of people

Audioexcellent said:
It's almost like with https://www.lbtechreviews.com/test/hi-fi/vera-audio-p400-1000 This is one of latest Class D amps taking your hypex to a higher level.
No need to link remote sources, it was tested right here at ASR: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../vera-audio-p400-1000-review-amplifier.30192/
Audioexcellent said:
Even cheap Pyle amps brag about high power but, I’ll repeat. They don’t do well driving 4 ohms or less. I challenge you to look at the company recognition of this Fact. This is a very good amp but is compromised at lower than three ohm loads.
What amp are you talking about? The Vera? Where is the proof that it can't drive low impedances? I only read a statement, no test, no measurements, nothing... The Vera website does not specify anything either, in fact, they say 2 Ohm stable (with less power(which is probably even wrong, see below). And the NC500 spec sheet shows:

1643987368784.png

It states 1 Ohm as a minimum. There are even measurements at 2 Ohm available:
1643987435980.png

Excellent performance, more than 500W of power into 2R, 92 SINAD, or better < 200W!

I really don't care if some Pyle amplifier cannot drive low impedance. It proves absolutely nothing. I can also find some class A amp that can't drive low impedances if I look around. That also proves nothing.

What? Even my 1.5 decades old Class D amp can drive 1 ohm loads just fine:
View attachment 183827
It should do about ~300W in 1 Ohm.

Most amps nowadays don't use massive transformers anymore but opt for an SMPS. These things can deliver massive currents with high efficiencies in a small and light form factor. And some of them are properly regulated as well. They do have an issue with maximum current delivery though. Where a transformer will saturate and sag, an SMPS will often have less desirable behavior.

There is a simple solution though: buy the right tool for the right job. Just stay within the design limits of the equipment.

All these generalizations of amplifier classes are total non-sense. Just judge an amp on its own merits and accomplishments regardless of its design. It's almost like with humans :)
https://www.lbtechreviews.com/test/hi-fi/vera-audio-p400-1000 Read this latest class D amplifier hypex improvement. Very good at driving above 4ohms. Even cheap Pyle amps boast high power. Even company admits amplifier has hard time at 4 ohms and must be driven at lower volume. You show one graph regarding ksa 300s but, do not show where driving loads down to one ohm is easily done with Class A amp you try to dismiss. For efficient 8 ohm speakers driving your Amp is among best but, can’t drive a Pair of Magico 4 ohm speakers at high volume as it can dip down between 1 and 2 ohms at certain frequencies. Why don’t you show entire specs for an amplifier made to push low impedance speakers loud and do it well.
This one for instance. Want more? There is a 2kW model as well, it will do 2kW into 2 Ohm.

That Krell has horrible distortion figures BTW:
View attachment 183828

Only a 52 SINAD at 4W into 2R :facepalm: It's pathetic! It would land the thing in the bottom 3 of the ASR amp SINAD chart. Even the 1W 8R figure is only 72, which lands it just outside of the bottom 10 of the chart.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Even company admits amplifier has hard time at 4 ohms and must be driven at lower volume.
Where did they state that?
You show one graph regarding ksa 300s but, do not show where driving loads down to one ohm is easily done with Class A amp you try to dismiss.
It has massive distortion driving those loads, more than 45dB more than a best-in-class D amp has! What more proof do you need? And I never said that class A amps can't drive these loads. You said Class D amp can't, and I proved you wrong.
but, can’t drive a Pair of Magico 4 ohm speakers at high volume as it can dip down between 1 and 2 ohms at certain frequencies.
That is total nonsense. Where is the proof?
Why don’t you show entire specs for an amplifier made to push low impedance speakers loud and do it well.
I've shown you what NC500 and NC1200 do at 2Ohm. I have no doubt they will handle 1Ohm just fine as well. All the other specs are all there to download from the Hypex website... Here is another one:
1643988744720.png

Purify amp this time. Your Krell would show up on the -40 line or 2R BTW.

Where did they state that?

It has massive distortion driving those loads, more than 45dB more than a best-in-class D amp has! What more proof do you need? And I never said that class A amps can't drive these loads. You said Class D amp can't, and I proved you wrong.

That is total nonsense. Where is the proof?

I've shown you what NC500 and NC1200 do at 2Ohm. I have no doubt they will handle 1Ohm just fine as well. All the other specs are all there to download from the Hypex website... Here is another one:
View attachment 184107
Purify amp this time. Your Krell would show up on the -40 line or 2R BTW.
Total nonsense? You haven’t even had time to have read information provided by the company that makes the class D amp you’ve been bragging about. In the real world of low impedance high end speakers class D still sucks!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Total nonsense? You haven’t even had time to have read information provided by the company that makes the class D amp you’ve been bragging about. In the real world of low impedance high end speakers class D still sucks!
Let's see your evidence for that remarkable claim.

Top Bottom