• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cirrus Audio chip linearity error above -35dB

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
Does anyone know what causes the slight wobble in linearity from Cirrus chips above -35dBfs?

Linearity-20.jpg
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

With the apple dongle it seems to manifest a bit differently.
index.php

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
At first I was like "what error?"

Looks like it's more like a zero crossing at -20dBfs, and then it rises a tad on the lower levels and dips a tad on the higher ones.

It's like +/- 0.05dB, maybe +/-0.1dB max? Nothing even remotely of audible concern? Still a funny little quirk.

OP
TheTalbotHound

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
At first I was like "what error?"

Looks like it's more like a zero crossing at -20dBfs, and then it rises a tad on the lower levels and dips a tad on the higher ones.

It's like +/- 0.05dB, maybe +/-0.1dB max? Nothing even remotely of audible concern? Still a funny little quirk.
Yeah maybe not audible, but i still want to know how or why something like this could come about. Especially since it is so consistent across Cirrus chip devices.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
This quirk seems to affect all the modern tiny mobile chips and their relatives, i.e. CS4399, CS43130, CS43198 and CS43131. I would like to know, too. It is lower than I would expect if it had something to do with the Class G output stage, at the same time a thermometer DAC based concept has no inherent kind of linearity that could cause this so it's all a bit of a puzzle.

The only thing I could think of is that DAC reference voltage might be sagging a bit once analog supply sees some load (I mean, you wouldn't want to be implementing any more voltage regulators than necessary, and a shared +1.8 V might be our culprit), but even then you'd be expecting most of the error up top, not this sort of transition between -12 and -32 dBFS.

Top Bottom