• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

cineworld bankruptcy

Andysu

Major Contributor
Screenshot 2022-09-01 23.18.08.png

picture former Empire Leicester square

never been to or will go to cineworld local or even the liemax at leicester square , london .
good i won't miss them since i no longer go near cinemas anymore , too deafeningly loud . rubbish 4k content . overpriced ticket prices , lousy food . rubbish home theatre seats , totally not real cinema the way once used to be . i guess showcase , vue warner bros empire cinemas and odoen cinemas be next for bankruptcy it's inevitable , as cinema audiences decline to watch steaming on those rubbish soundbars .

no need to post link as there so many .
i won't miss cinema anymore . the best one Empire Licester Square was handed over to those limax wolves , september 2013 and never been back to london since .
the local cinemas are home to the pigeons now . and the new odeon bh2 is garbage trash for 4k atmos too deafening , never ever will i go back . so be few years extra more and cinemas will go into the , wikipedia history files .

Anonamemouse

You forgot to mention the 17 year old girl that thinks she is too important to turn off her phone, gets a call halfway during the movie and has a 35 minute conversation at "I need to be heard by everyone" level.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
You forgot to mention the 17 year old girl that thinks she is too important to turn off her phone, gets a call halfway during the movie and has a 35 minute conversation at "I need to be heard by everyone" level.
1998 watching "titanic", local , abc screen 1 sat middle front while two rows back to right side , two teens chatting loud for 15 mins so . i was near close to throwing my shoe at them lol .
around middle 80's no fault of the child and mom , "e.t." 70mm the child was crying for forget how long ? guess the movie disturbed upset the child as it was sad movie at times .

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Nah, there will always be cinema's IMO as it's a common social or family outing.

JSmith
you really think so , i think maybe right maybe smaller independent ones still geared with 35mm showing older 35mm , but the larger mega chains may fade away .

Anonamemouse

you really think so , i think maybe right maybe smaller independent ones still geared with 35mm showing older 35mm , but the larger mega chains may fade away .
The big ones will also stay. But actual film will soon be a thing of the past, quite a few theaters are already switching to digital.

Kremmen

I haven't been to the cinema since I watched the new version of Dune and before that Blade Runner 2049 (which I thought was incredible).

From my perspective it seems that cinemas largely cater for people who want to sit there, noisily eating piles of food that they've bought at exorbitant prices in the foyer to the detriment of people who pay to watch a film in peace. They tend to be the sort that talk throughout the film too. I've walked out of two films due to selfish, noisy bastards with no consideration for others.

The volume that some films are played at is often ridiculously loud too. Do they think we are all going deaf?

I'd now sooner wait and watch a film on my large 4k TV in the man cave in peace. The experience is so much better. And I get to take a leak without missing any of the film. :D.

I dare say I'll make an exception for the new Avatar: The Way of Water 3D film as they'll be no way for me to experience it in 3D at home.

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Staying in the middle of nowhere in Scotland I only went to see one film growing up, ET - there was an organised bus trip for the kids in the village to get to the cinema 110 miles away, the bus broke down on the way home so a 3 hour journey turned into 7hrs and was never repeated. Film was ok, I was more excited about the massive box of popcorn and being able to drink coke.

As an adult I’ve only been once to the cinema (due to living in another isolated area of Scotland), went to watch Sunshine back in 2007, it was ok but the cinema experience is annoying due to other folk so I’ve never bothered again.

Kremmen

110 miles? Blimey!

I didn't see ET until I was in my early 20s on VHS, despite being born in 1968. I thought it was wonderful, and dare I say, it had me in tears of joy and at times, sadness. I struggled to hide my emotions but my quivering chest and sniffling gave the game away in the dark. :oops:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What is better than walking into a cinema to realise you have the room all to yourself?
Having your high school sweetheart with you and large bucket of popcorn?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
a nice change from Irn Bru?

Irn Bru’s foul tasting stuff, Wasn’t allowed sugary fizzy pop and nearest shop was 20+ miles away so it never really figured in my childhood, we did have stuff like orange squash though so it’s not as if we were deprived ;)

Digby

Major Contributor
Irn Bru’s foul tasting stuff, Wasn’t allowed sugary fizzy pop and nearest shop was 20+ miles away so it never really figured in my childhood, we did have stuff like orange squash though so it’s not as if we were deprived ;)
20 miles from a shop, whereabouts was this? Sounds like one of the most remote places in the UK.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
double post

Somafunk

Major Contributor
20 miles from a shop, whereabouts was this? Sounds like one of the most remote places in the UK.

Down past Castle Sween Argyll, wee cottage 80 yards from a beach and my wee boat, nearest shop was Lochgilphead 20+miles away, I was brought up on singletrack roads/forestry roads, got first moto-x bike for my 8th birthday and that’s how I got around to visit friends. Not at all remote/removed from nearest shop compared to many in Scotland, used to stay in Dalavich on the shores of loch awe, had a 3hr there/back journey every day to go to high school in Oban. Best childhood poss. Can’t do cities/built up areas at all.

Kevbaz

It is a shame, many fond memories of going to cinema when I was younger, and it will put people out of work ☹️
But I avoid cinema now, where I live way too much antisocial behaviour there, not a nice experience anymore,
Kev

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
this is why i do not go to the cinema any more . fake news meets fake cinema .
who are these cinewold clowns ? worst fake reaction i ever seen in 36 years .

the lights do not dim and there is no actual digital projection light i can see on their faces that would partly reflect from the screen with house lights up would wash the image out . its just a gimmick show the silly jumble/rumble seats jumping around and i thought , sensurround was a gimmick . i rather listen , experience sensurround again in 70mm than go near a cineworld leicester square .

most hardly go cinema anymore as cinema has allowed itself to become , " home cinema " yes same as when had video projectors that slowly filtered into cinema 1999 and now its a jungle of same media crap rubbish see on tv or satellite download steaming . and these clowns are adding more insult to injury .

cineworld audience attendees must be really down . cineworld is just not a real presentation of showmanship that i have not seen now for , really honestly ? 33 years at the CIC Empire Leicester Square , that empire cinemas ruined and then cineworld acquired them and have even ruined the once nicest cinema into circus freak show and then these guys , there the clowns .

may as well stay at home . i don't even go to odeon bh2 or cineworld near me . no thanks i rather relive old movies than see brand new movies each week and old movies at cinema are just same digital as what the home gets , may as well stay at home and let this cineworld and odeon showcase all the digital cinemas light fade to darkness

rip 35/70 cinema

Top Bottom