• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ciúnas ISO-DAC USB DAC Teardown #2

filo97s

I'm actually impressed on how this thing can measure at least not at the very end of all dac tested. If even this disgusting assembly (even a child is able to solder better than this) can beat most of the Audio GD products, the TotalDAC and a few multibit architectures, this should tell a lot on how tremendously big are those piles of s..t.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... If even this disgusting assembly (even a child is able to solder better than this) ...

Well, perhaps his soldering sessions happen after drinking too many cups ... :cool:
That might be one of the reasons for which the result is so poor.
Source: https://fairhedon.com/2017/08/21/interview-john-kenny-of-ciunas-audio/

1573410690204.png

mansr

Major Contributor
I'm actually impressed on how this thing can measure at least not at the very end of all dac tested. If even this disgusting assembly (even a child is able to solder better than this) can beat most of the Audio GD products, the TotalDAC and a few multibit architectures, this should tell a lot on how tremendously big are those piles of s..t.
It also speaks to the competence of the real engineers who designed the DAC chip.

filo97s

Well, perhaps his soldering sessions happen after drinking too many cups ... :cool:
That might be one of the reasons for which the result is so poor.
Source: https://fairhedon.com/2017/08/21/interview-john-kenny-of-ciunas-audio/

View attachment 38410
LOL
it's incredible however how those fake gurus that clearly don't know anything of pcb design and electronics are venerated in audiophile circles... I know a lot of people here in Italy that sells literally junk products with no regulatory certifications/brand name etc, that are considered as demigods on hifi groups... i've seen an handmade amplifier made by one of those sold for as high as 30k euros, and I bet everything that is a poorly measuring amplifier, but one of the things that made me cry were these "stabilizers", and the explanation on how these should work that was given to us during an audio exhibition. If you want to read some delirium, this is the place: http://www.omicrongroup.net/faq/
The problem in this hobby is exactly the lack of information that 99% of the users have. I often link this site to debunk some myths but it always ends in a flame.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember very clearly drinking an entire bottle of Portuguese wine and doing some soldering and it was far better than this. It really is amazing how bad it is.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Jeez, this looks like the text book definition of a 'backyard operation'. AVOID.

SDC

It's more like IED with dac function using cheap and simple 5102 chip, than audiophile's work for perfect isolation.

Where is the 9018 and usb isolators I wished to see. I remember they were still out there 7 years ago:(

gikigill

It's more like IED with dac function using cheap and simple 5102 chip, than audiophile's work for perfect isolation.

Where is the 9018 and usb isolators I wished to see. I remember they were still out there 7 years ago:(

I heard the music goes BOOOOOMMMM!!!

Preferred DAC for ISIS members so they can go out with a bang!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hasn't he been selling stuff for quite a few years. If this is typical of current production I wonder what his early stuff is like before he honed his design and soldering skills?

I've seen it. About the same.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't his current "product" supercap-based instead of battery-powered?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
yes, but no piccas alas

UpTo11

I'd like to report my experience with this product given that I tried it last year when the super-caps version came out. It took a while to arrive and the manufacturer said the delay was related to issues with parts. I noticed that every time I pluged in the power plug I could hear a sound from the DAC, like something beating coming from the inside. Listening to it using my MacBook with Audirvana+ there was a clear crackling noise. From a Windows laptop the noise was much more reduced, some pops here and there, but still there. From the iMac in my office things were even worse. Every time I moved the mouse or a task was running I could hear noise, like a hum, coming from the DAC on top of the crackling. I had to insert back the galvanic isolator I normally use to get rid of the hum, but this didn't solve the crackling. We exchanged some emails to try to understand and fix the problem. He said that he had other customers reporting noises that were fixed by grounding the DAC. I tried several fix he suggested but nothing worked and I asked for a refund eventually. He offered to ship me a new one for free but I declined. When it was returned to him, he told me that after inspecting it was a faulty unit.
Anyway I don't want to draw conclusions from the tear down of a second hand device. I agree with those who say one can't know what happened to it. I never opened it, so I can't confirm the mess visible in the pictures. I just wanted to share my experience.

Last edited:

Fleuch

A much respected audiophile friend recently recommended the Ciunas DAC as well worth the £400, with the promise that I wouldn't regret it if I purchased one.

Many thanks, Amir, for the courage to post the photographs., which saved me from making a massive mistake.

Is this the product of an after school hobby club? Safety?

Expensive components assembled badly do not make a good product.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A much respected audiophile friend recently recommended the Ciunas DAC as well worth the £400, with the promise that I wouldn't regret it if I purchased one.

It definitely has a vocal fan club of devout believers.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
How could they possibly all be wrong :rolleyes:

Top Bottom