• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chromecast (video) into hdmi extractor vs android otg vs raspberry pi all into dac for Spotify connect

holbob

This week I sold my AV receiver after several years of essentially using it for everything for convenience. The missus wants the TV unit free of boxes so I'm down to sourcing a streamer option and amplifier/active speakers. Only active speakers if the current ones sell.

I'm a sceptic, who was converted in the spring of 2006 after comparing my Sugen a21a to a Sonic Impact T-Amp. The T-Amp won (due to them sounding the same) though my lounge was considerably colder afterwards!

I decided to use whatever I had for the time being. I've borrowed my daughters lepy 2020+ and I'm using a Chromecast (video) into a hdmi extractor into a £15 Neoteck dac with volume control. Obviously this is for convenience, as I already owned the Chromecast.

Am I getting the highest fidelity / best measurements with this setup? I have an old oneplus one android phone that I could use with an otg cable into either a Topping d50s or SMSL su-8, one of which I am considering buying? Or possibly buying a raspberry pi and putting streaming software onto that and routing to a dac.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Chromecast only does 48kHz audio, while Spotify is mostly 44.1kHz. So there is always some sample rate conversion. If done well, that should not be an issue. HDMI audio also has more jitter than most other sources, sometimes so much as to trip the DAC with popping as a result. The DAC’s spdif receiver is the critical component here.

Cheapest way of getting Bit perfect wireless audio into the DAC is probably still Chomecast audio.

Timbo2

I have an Nvidia Shield that will allow you to attach a usb DAC of your choice. From memory I believe it upconverts everything it sends to it to 128kHz.

It’s got RF remote, CEC, IR, and gives you ability to cast as well as run Android TV applications for most all streaming services.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have an old oneplus one android phone that I could use with an otg cable into either a Topping d50s or SMSL su-8, one of which I am considering buying? Or possibly buying a raspberry pi and putting streaming software onto that and routing to a dac.
I've found the RPi option to be very useful and usable. I did connect my phone directly to my DAC using an OTG cable and then used the USB Audio Player Pro app. This worked well, but the phone needs to be physically connected to the DAC. An RPi untethers the phone from the DAC and also offers extra flexibility. It's a cheap and easy solution (RPi4+case+power supply cost me just over £60)

Top Bottom