• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chromecast Ultra And Chromecast with Google TV as Audio Streamers

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is interesting. I know it's a different device and apps, but when I stream Youtube Music from my Google Pixel phone to my Chromecast Audio to optical output, the volume is very low like you experienced. When I use HiFi-Cast or BubbleUPNP to cast music from a DLNA server, the volume is perfectly fine.
When Google was shutting down Play Music and moving everyone to YouTube Music, I complained about the huge level discrepancy to Google, sharing some measurements I took. I haven't used the service in over a year so I don't know if they ever fixed it, but it pushed me to try Deezer. I'm happy there so it's all good, but I miss having ad-free YouTube included.

It had nothing to do with the Chromecast. I've been using those since they were first released in 2013 connected to Denon AVRs and I've never had an issue. I too use BubbleUPNP.

I have never used an audio extractor. Can't one just ignore the video part of the stream? I don't turn my screen on when I use it for music only.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
from what I've gathered google cast in general doesn't support gapless playback and they all re-sample.
When I tried solving this issue my research led me to the fact that gapless is not supported by DLNA and it is not supported when having the Chromecast pulling in the stream. The common workaround is to have your device pull in the stream and send it to the Chromecast as a gapless stream. Some players like Bubble and maybe Hi-Fi Cast support this option. This would use more battery, of course, which is unfortunate.

nightshift543

@jmaz87

Hey, it's been a while. Did you update your Chromecast's Android version from 10 to 12? Ever since that update, I started to have all sort of audio problems with my headphones:(

nightshift543

David.P

This is bad news.

I used to stream music to my DAC via GCCWGTV, and it perfectly worked at 24bit@96kHz.

Recently, my DAC didn't receive any audio anymore from the GCCWGTV, and I already feared the DAC were broken.

GCCWGTV not supporting USB audio anymore is really terrible news. I had been planning on building my complete Multiroom setup around this feature, and now my plans are being destroyed.

David.P

I noticed that with my Google Pixel 6 Pro (Android 13), my Panasonic HiFi DAC also does not recognize a valid connection.

However, my USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone DAC dongle still works both with the phone AND with the CCwGTV :oops:

41i6FRa1D5L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

David.P

While the DAC of my Stereo also has stopped working with the CCwGTV, the above headphone DAC still perfectly works. When listening via CCwGTV over this DAC dongle, the dongle shows 96kHz audio quality.

So it seems that USB audio support has not been completely removed from CCwGTV.

Now the question is, is there a hack to trick CCwGTV into sending USB audio to any DAC again, and not only to some headphone DACs?

In another forum, the following was speculated:

"The DACs that still work with the CCwGTV all do not seem to support more than 24bit / 96kHz. That is exactly the limitation of the old UAC1 standard. Higher resolutions require UAC2 support.
In this respect, one might suspect that in the newer firmware versions of CCwGTV, UAC2 support has been removed or at least screwed up.

With a few DACs you can switch from UAC2 to UAC1.

But it could be possible that you then lose the asynchronous transfer mode in case this doesn't work with UAC1."

Top Bottom