• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chromecast audio vs usb

Oukkidoukki

I was able to catch cca and finally wireless hi res streming was possible. Optical cable from cca to smsl su 8. Streaming gobuz from the phone, dac showed 96khz so it seemed to be all good. However……..when I connected same phone via usb to su 8 and played same song with usb audio player pro it was somehow better. It was more intense experience, I was immediately more engaged…..little bit better dynamics….better air around vocals and so on. So……could it be so that usb input is better in su 8 or is there something else in the equation? Now I would like to remotely control usb audio player in phone with another phone or ipad and forget chromecast….but its still impossible I guess……..don`t wanna pay roon or use pi computers……any ideas?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was able to catch cca and finally wireless hi res streming was possible. Optical cable from cca to smsl su 8. Streaming gobuz from the phone, dac showed 96khz so it seemed to be all good. However……..when I connected same phone via usb to su 8 and played same song with usb audio player pro it was somehow better. It was more intense experience, I was immediately more engaged…..little bit better dynamics….better air around vocals and so on. So……could it be so that usb input is better in su 8 or is there something else in the equation? Now I would like to remotely control usb audio player in phone with another phone or ipad and forget chromecast….but its still impossible I guess……..don`t wanna pay roon or use pi computers……any ideas?
Was the output volume of the CCA set to full? Even when optical you can vary the output level to dac. What you describe sounds like typical difference on input level into the dac.

OP
O

Oukkidoukki

Yes, cca volume was full. Just listening cca again and it is totally capable system. Usb was somehow superior though.

Tangband

Major Contributor

Is it an iPhone ?
Some very reliable listeners ( friends ) have done some testing and yes - digital out from iPhone or ipad from USB camera connection kit seems to be superior to the optical output from cromecast audio using ROON. They have tested two dacs and have had the same result when listening to music.
Dont ask me why optical out from CCA should be inferior soundwise, because I cant technically explain it.
But it seems that CCA is not very good as digital drive.

Willem

Major Contributor
You are casting rather than streaming from the browser, I hope?

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
But it seems that CCA is not very good as digital drive.

Amir’s review of the Chromecast Audio suggested that it is bit perfect with negligible jitter.

“Using a well-designed Dac like the Topping D50, there is no difference at all between Toslink from Chromecast or higher fidelity sources”

Maybe one of our technical experts can explain why the USB output of a mobile phone can be audibly better than bit perfect with negligible jitter.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Amir’s review of the Chromecast Audio suggested that it is bit perfect with negligible jitter.

“Using a well-designed Dac like the Topping D50, there is no difference at all between Toslink from Chromecast or higher fidelity sources”

Maybe one of our technical experts can explain why the USB output of a mobile phone can be audibly better than bit perfect with negligible jitter.
You have to listen for yourself. Is there no difference , then fine.

Top Bottom