• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chromecast audio or Digione for Roon?

gzeel

I’m using Roon for quit a while now, with a Chromecast audio connected through an optical cable to my Arcam SA20 (using the internal dac).

I also have a spare Raspberry Pi 3B in a drawer. Would it be an upgrade compared to the CCA to put an Allo Digione on the Pi and use this combination with Roon?

Unfortunately I have no option to test it out before buying a Digione.

OP
G

gzeel

Do you use any sources that is higher than Cd quality?
If not then the upgrade seems useless to me

Yes, i’m using tidal in Roon, so 24/96 files will come around. But the CCA is handling that.

So actually the question will be, is a Pi with a DigiOne HAT and ropiee as OS a better Roon endpoint then the CCA?

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I’m using Roon for quit a while now, with a Chromecast audio connected through an optical cable to my Arcam SA20 (using the internal dac).

I also have a spare Raspberry Pi 3B in a drawer. Would it be an upgrade compared to the CCA to put an Allo Digione on the Pi and use this combination with Roon?

Unfortunately I have no option to test it out before buying a Digione.
Welcome Aboard @gzeel.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, i’m using tidal in Roon, so 24/96 files will come around. But the CCA is handling that.

So actually the question will be, is a Pi with a DigiOne HAT and ropiee as OS a better Roon endpoint then the CCA?

There should be no difference other than the added functionalities the Pi will have, but as a Roon endpoint they're the same.

there is also the option to have Tidal connect with the Pi, if you're using roon just for streaming you can reduce the costs this way. but a Pi streamer is like 100$+ so that's already few months of Roon. up for you to decide.

OP
G

gzeel

There should be no difference other than the added functionalities the Pi will have, but as a Roon endpoint they're the same.

there is also the option to have Tidal connect with the Pi, if you're using roon just for streaming you can reduce the costs this way. but a Pi streamer is like 100$+ so that's already few months of Roon. up for you to decide.

Ok, so I shouldn't be able to hear a difference in sound quality?
I read about jitter that would bother the CCA quite a bit.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, so I shouldn't be able to hear a difference in sound quality?
I read about jitter that would bother the CCA quite a bit.

the DAC should handle the Jitter, if not the DAC is incompetent.

Unless you hear something audibly wrong already i don't think you would hear a difference in sound quality.

Top Bottom