• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chromecast Audio causing audible WiFi interference. CCA woe :(

JustPoo

The wireless signal of my Chromecast Audio seems to be picked up by my ADI-2 DAC and THX 789, then output into sensitive IEM's from the RME IEM output and all of the 789 outputs. Or the IEM's cable is acting as an antenna. Or both. Or neither. It's a faint ticking sound that lasts for 5-10s every 30 seconds or so. Changing the WiFi connection from 5g to 2.4ghz makes it worse. Moving the Chromecast to the other side of the room with the router doesn't help either.

It's normally connected optically but it doesn't matter if the Chromecast is connected to my amp or DAC at all; the moment it's powered up anywhere in the room I can hear it in my IEM's. Running from a battery pack makes no difference either so by process of elimination I've settled on the wee WiFi chip in the CCA.

I considered using an ethernet adaptor but from what I can gather it doesn't disable the wireless at all. I found a post somewhere on the net from someone who'd detected the WiFi when it was running on ethernet (although they were also looking to turn the WiFi off for "health reasons" so take that with a grain of salt!). However, In case of an interrupted ethernet connection it apparently immediately falls back to WiFi with no interruption so it may well be true. Unless of course it's sufficiently cached to give it time to fire up and connect.

Is there anything I can actually do about this? Has anyone else experienced it? The CCA is such a handy device I'm reluctant to switch to another streamer but hearing that interference before the music starts or during quiet passages is just bloody annoying. I had to disable smart switches at the other end of the room as they were putting out ungodly amounts of constant interference, so the CCA issue is the last stop between me and beautiful silence. Until the music kicks in. You get the idea!. Any help is much appreciated :)

BillG

Major Contributor
Is there anything I can actually do about this? Has anyone else experienced it?

Are you using the included Google power supply? I had a similar issue with my CCA, it would pop and spit when attached to my PC's USB ports, but switching back to the Google power supply solved it... :D

Last edited:
OP
JustPoo

JustPoo

Hey Bill, yes I've tried all sorts of power supplies including the supplied Google one. I've tried running it electrically isolated off a couple of different battery packs, even swapped USB cables, but the problem remains. The moment I plug it into a power source within about fifteen feet of my headphones, the amp or DAC starts spewing interference into my ears even when they're not connected to the CCA. With sensitive IEM's the noise is obvious, but I can also detect it with fairly insensitive over ear headphones. Well I can when I'm listening for it - which of course I now can't help myself doing!

It's an odd thing to listen to because as the CCA boots up the interference is much worse, it's constant until it has a solid connection to the router and then it drops off and "checks in" at regular intervals with a 5-10s burst. Mostly on the left side for some reason. I'm at a bit of a loss really, it's not like it makes music intolerable or anything, the noise is masked if it happens to be playing. But it's still there, there's times in very quiet passages or between songs when it's clearly audible. Most of all I just know it's there!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What happens if you power down the router, and then turn on the CCA?

milus

I plan to buy this to hook my Chromecast directly to my router.
I considered using an ethernet adaptor but from what I can gather it doesn't disable the wireless at all.

Then, maybe this can help you determine whether your Chromecast is connected via Ethernet or WiFi.
Chromecast will attempt to connect to Wi-Fi after three minutes if the Ethernet cable is disconnected from the adapter, or it will connect to Wi-Fi immediately if there isn’t an Ethernet cable plugged in when the Chromecast is powered on. If you plug in an Ethernet adapter while you’re using it, the Chromecast will wait until its idle before attempting to switch from Wi-Fi to Ethernet. You can speed this up by unplugging it from power and reconnecting it.
It can also help determine Chromecast's MAC Adress and then start looking for some inconsistencies in your network. (Just in case the problem relates to it)

I hope this can help you solving the issue.
Don't forget to report back your results!

OP
JustPoo

JustPoo

Thanks guys, I'm not sure how to multi-quote yet so I'll just dive in. When nothing but the Chromecast and amp/DAC are plugged in (and I mean nothing, back when I was trouble shooting it at some points I was sat with a head torch on!) the noise continues pretty much non-stop. Not sure how long I sat there, alone in the dark, listening to static. And they say I'm odd. Pah.

Saying that, Milus might have it - I've put off buying the dongle as I was under the impression that while WiFi and ethernet switch between each other, there's no automatic or manual way of disabling the WiFi at all. It sounds like it could, maybe, might be that when the ethernet is connected first the WiFi goes bye bye, at least after a time and/or if I manually block it at the router. For the cash it's not exactly a risk to at least try it so I'll get one ordered, give it a go tomorrow and let you know. Then, finally, I might be able to sit alone in the dark, listening to silence :D

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks guys, I'm not sure how to multi-quote yet so I'll just dive in. When nothing but the Chromecast and amp/DAC are plugged in (and I mean nothing, back when I was trouble shooting it at some points I was sat with a head torch on!) the noise continues pretty much non-stop. Not sure how long I sat there, alone in the dark, listening to static. And they say I'm odd. Pah.

Saying that, Milus might have it - I've put off buying the dongle as I was under the impression that while WiFi and ethernet switch between each other, there's no automatic or manual way of disabling the WiFi at all. It sounds like it could, maybe, might be that when the ethernet is connected first the WiFi goes bye bye, at least after a time and/or if I manually block it at the router. For the cash it's not exactly a risk to at least try it so I'll get one ordered, give it a go tomorrow and let you know. Then, finally, I might be able to sit alone in the dark, listening to silence :D

You can wrap the CCA in tin foil once you have the Ethernet working :)

OP
JustPoo

JustPoo

This is why I was right to join the forum. I'd pondered using tinfoil to isolate the WiFi in some way, but it just never occurred to me to do it once an ethernet connection was set up. Actually, maybe I was wrong to join the forum, now I feel like a tit! :facepalm:

OP
JustPoo

JustPoo

Oh don't worry, pretty sure being a tit is my natural state. As helpful appears to be the forum's default disposition, I guess I can look forward to half solving problems (eg - hmm, tinfoil, but no, that would cut the WiFi off...) and then feeling like the tit I am when someone solves it and gently suggests "have you considered not making hats out of it?"

Well the ethernet adaptor will be arriving later today and the tinfoil is at the ready so watch this space! :)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've installed the UGreen adapter, the wired network was picked up straight away, the CCA looks like this on my Asus router...

CCA.PNG

The first 3 bytes of the MAC address indicate that the NIC is made by ASIX Electronics... https://hwaddress.com/oui-iab/00-0E-C6/ (this part of the address would be the same for all of these adaptors, unless UGreen are using multiple network chip suppliers)

I can confirm that the CCA is no longer appearing in the 2.4GHz or 5Hz wireless client listing of devices connected to my router.

I tested the device by streaming some music from Plex, it's working great. My initial impression is that the CCA starts and switches between tracks more quickly, but that is probably my expectation bias talking :)

OP
JustPoo

JustPoo

I'm using an old Netgear N600 WNDR3700 and the firmware is shoddy - apparently there's no attached devices at all at the moment!. So I can't yet confirm the CCA is attached by ethernet (apart from the indicator lights on the adaptor), or that it's disconnected from WiFi. Support has long ceased so I need to look into flashing different firmware, I'm sure someone has tweaked it, but that's for another time. Or maybe I should just spring for a new router.

However, drum roll.... the interference has disappeared!. Which is really all the confirmation I need. I suspect the CCA WiFi is turned off completely, I can't detect any noise whatsoever with it right next to the amp, DAC and IEMs. If it's not off it's reduced it to the point where it doesn't matter. Either way, no noise at all. Great success!

Being the Yorkshireman I am, I bought the most inexpensive adaptor with Prime shipping I could find (look, I'm cheap not patient!). Luckily it paid off this time, so rather than £15.99 for the aluminium Ugreen adaptor I paid £7.99 for this -

Ethernet Adapter Micro USB to RJ45 Ethernet 10/100Mbps LAN Network Adaptor Upgraded Aluminum shell 1m Black Cable with 2.0 USB Power for Chromecast and TV Stick https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WRHM6NG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jSiVDb3HKEKJP

I agree that starting and changing tracks seems slightly quicker, I've used the CCA a lot and it feels a little snappier now when I'm flicking around. Not life changing but a nice bonus nonetheless.

So I can put my tinfoil away, there's no need to go full conspiracy this time. Thanks very much to everyone who chipped in and gave me the push to spend eight pounds. It wasn't easy, Xmas is cancelled, but totally worth it. Right, thanks again, back to my silent IEMs and cold baked beans. Eight pounds indeed. Harrumph.... :)

*Edited to remove an unrelated query, I'll find a suitable spot for it just as soon as I learn where all the nooks and crannies are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom