• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chromebook to SMSL M500

George G

Probably posted before but I have my Samsung Chromebook Plus V2 hooked up to M500 , USB A to USB and using Qobuz streaming. Even though it is streaming 24k 96 the most I get on my M500 is 48 khz ? Any help appreciated. It does sound good to my ears, but wondering if it could be better.

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm Chromebook. If it's like Android we have found that the Android OS is resampling everything to 48khz. That could be what you are experiencing. If you are able to install Android apps in your Chromebook see if you can install USB Audio Player Pro. And see if using that as a player allows you to output the audio at the origin sample rate.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Probably posted before but I have my Samsung Chromebook Plus V2 hooked up to M500 , USB A to USB and using Qobuz streaming. Even though it is streaming 24k 96 the most I get on my M500 is 48 khz ? Any help appreciated. It does sound good to my ears, but wondering if it could be better.
Welcome Aboard @George G.

OP
G

George G

Hmm Chromebook. If it's like Android we have found that the Android OS is resampling everything to 48khz. That could be what you are experiencing. If you are able to install Android apps in your Chromebook see if you can install USB Audio Player Pro. And see if using that as a player allows you to output the audio at the origin sample rate.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Alas, UAPP wont install on Chromebook (android)- even if other android apps will. It does resample to 48 without such an app

OP
G

George G

Than you but unfortunately it appears this app is not compatible .

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
If transparent resampling code is used, very few people can tell the difference between 48 and 96 kHz.

OP
G

George G

Alas, UAPP wont install on Chromebook (android)- even if other android apps will. It does resample to 48 without such an app
So then the 48 is the max I can do with a Chromebook ? If so, is the SMSL M500 an overkill for my situation ?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So then the 48 is the max I can do with a Chromebook ? If so, is the SMSL M500 an overkill for my situation ?
No. It's the OS getting in the way. An external DAC and amp will still be an improvement. You just will be limited by the OS if you want anything other than 48khz or things like MQA support.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would hang fire on the M500 at the minute though pending clarity or a fix on the "strange third harmonic" issue (search that on here). That aside, no reason not to get an external dac /amp.

OP
G

George G

Just to get opinions of learned folks here, if I got a Windows 10 laptop and was able to stream higher resolutions, is it a difference that a non audiofile would hear ? Not a headphone user, my equipment is a rotel int amp and psb T4 towers. Thoughts ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to get opinions of learned folks here, if I got a Windows 10 laptop and was able to stream higher resolutions, is it a difference that a non audiofile would hear ? Not a headphone user, my equipment is a rotel int amp and psb T4 towers. Thoughts ?

That depends on:

Your ears
The equipment you use
What the frequency content of the recordings you listen to are

But very simply, no. Once you are at are past the ability to playback lossless 16 bit/ 44.1 khz sample rate files (aka redbook aka CD) you arent likely to detect audible differences.

Also, self-identifying as an audiophile does not grant one special hearing privileges to the best of my knowledge ;-)

xbt123ufo

Play 24 bit/96 khz flac without resampling using native software on chromeos. You can check the audio output by going to chrome://system/.

Top Bottom