• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chrome Browser Not Outputting Audio After Adding USB DAC

I recently bought a Topping E30 DAC with the L30 headphone amp. I've hooked it up to my Mac using USB audio output. Everything works fine except when I'm using Chrome. No sound comes out when I'm playing something on youtube, Amazon Music, or anything else from the browser. I've already played around with the preference settings on the app, including the sound. Nothing comes out. Sound works perfectly fine on everything else, including Firefox and other browsers. Any clue why Chrome is being so weird? I've searched around without any definite answers. Anyone else having the same problem?

jaraheel

I am facing the exact same issue. It seems Chrome does not use system default device for sound output. I think it could be fixed using an app that allows to select output device per app, but I could not find any. May be someone here knows..

Edit: I checked with SoundSource. Chrome works just fine with other sources, it's just that for the DAC it won't output any audio. This is true not just for Chrome, but other browsers using Chromium. After trying few browsers, I settled on FireFox..

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
You are using Windows? The sound mixer will only show apps that have an open audio session, and say if you're playing audio and nothing still shows up, check if you have allowed/disabled the exclusive control option (under Advanced).

Edit: I don't use Mac or Linux, but I would imagine the routing/exclusive control issue is at the root of the problem in either case.

jaraheel

You are using Windows? The sound mixer will only show apps that have an open audio session, and say if you're playing audio and nothing still shows up, check if you have allowed/disabled the exclusive control option (under Advanced).

Edit: I don't use Mac or Linux, but I would imagine the routing/exclusive control issue is at the root of the problem in either case.
I am using macOS, and with the SoundSource app, it shows apps using audio streams and what device they are using for input/outputs. With Chrome and browsers built on Chromium (I tested Brave, Chrome, Chromium, and Rivaldi), when setting the DAC as system's default, SoundSource shows no activity for these browsers..

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I am using macOS, and with the SoundSource app, it shows apps using audio streams and what device they are using for input/outputs. With Chrome and browsers built on Chromium (I tested Brave, Chrome, Chromium, and Rivaldi), when setting the DAC as system's default, SoundSource shows no activity for these browsers..
The audio has to be routed somewhere. Maybe you have a game or another app that was allowed to take control.

jaraheel

The audio has to be routed somewhere. Maybe you have a game or another app that was allowed to take control.
Do you use macOS? If so, do you know of any app that can detect the audio stream going somewhere?
Never mind, I read your earlier post where you say you don't use MacOS.

Top Bottom