• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Christmas Time = New Amplifier time

It's time for me to choose a new amplifier for my desktop setup. I'm returning my Topping PA3 because of its hiss that's quite tedious at close range with no track playing, so i'm gonna step up my game a little bit and i want to try some ol' AB amplifier, or maybe i just want to raise the bar from cheapo/chinese Class D amplifiers.

My current speakers are a pair of Q Acoustics 3020 with an ODAC rev.B + Objective2 combo.Since it's a desktop build i'm not going to need a lot of power, but the real issue is space. I'm quite limited so i made a list of suitable choices based on AB units and higher tier Class D amps:

Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5 (175€): The higher performance/price ratio in this list according to the info collected around the net, but it is large and maybe i'll struggle trying to fit it on my desktop

NAD C316BEE (275€): Maybe the best choice in sound quality and it has ok dimensions too. but the price is a little over my target but maybe is worth the jump.

AudioEngine N22 (249€): A/B, small form and bluetooth. Don't need the headphone amp and quite costly. i'm dubious about the power: 22 Wpc on what impedance, 4? 8?

Pro-Ject Amp box S2 (199€): Power amplifier which is fine for me (already have O2 as a preamp) and the power is ok too, but it's a class D. i don't know if it will sound good compared to others, but Qobuz gave it's best award to it.

Pro-Ject Stereo Box S2 (249€): Same as above but as an integrated amp. slightly more power and still a class D but we're talking about another level from chinese products.

Tangent Ampster BT 2 (199€): The one which i have least infos. Appears to be another class D all-purpose amplifier with digital inputs and bluetooth but i haven't found anything sound related. hope some of you can give me more details about it

Allo Volt+D (129€ + 26€ for PSU): My original idea before this post. It is the classical TPA3118D2 in a dual mono configuration. Seems good and well received but the DIY vibe that has made me step back as i want something that feels more solid and premium. I can easily change my mind if someone can assure me of its build quality and sounding.

Which one should i choose?
If you have other suggestions take these in considerations: Budget floating around 150-250€, desktop space (no big bois sorry), no need for DAC or Head amp, more inputs or bluetooth is not needed but welcome. I'm in Europe (nothing overseas, both Asia and US)
i'll appreciate all kind of feedbacks you want to give me

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As an observation, I wouldn't assume that Pro-ject are a level above Chinese products. There are some very good hi-fi manufacturers in China.

OP
S
As an observation, I wouldn't assume that Pro-ject are a level above Chinese products. There are some very good hi-fi manufacturers in China.
i agree, in fact after seeing them inside i felt a little disappointed, but i hoped someone could give me some more "musical" information

if you have any suggestion on some quite good chinese products feel free to post them here

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In terms of amplifier recommendations, a lot will depend on what speakers you have and how much power you need to drive them but there are plenty of good Class AB amps out there. If you consider S/H you could get a very nice amp with great build and feel. If buying new then the Marantz PM6006 is less than £300 and is a well respected budget amp from a manufacturer with good provenance. A friend of mine bought a Yamaha AS301 as a B stock bargain for less than £200 which seems to be a very well made product and he is extremely happy with the sound.

OP
S
i already resticted my class AB amps list because of their dimensions and price. the marantz is one of them, same as the yamaha which i even listened to it too. i also cut down the Onkyo 9010 which is considered a real deal but it's massive.
the ones with the specs i need are those i wrote on my list above

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have your list my advice would be to either try and listen to each or just go for the best deal.

Top Bottom