• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord v Mytek

Roverrich

Hi folks, hope it is appropriate to post this question here.

First background, I've been a audiophile for 30 years but only recently got into headphone listening. I currently use the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge to a custom Llano design Class A amp or a DIY Ice based 200wpc amp (depends on mood) and I run that to 20yr old Joseph audio speakers. I also have a Chord Mojo for portable listening, and have tried it in the main system and while sweeter sounding than the Mytek, it falls short on the resolving and imaging department. I love the sound of both for different reasons and different applications. This brought me to ask the question about switching my Mytek for a Chord Hugo TT2. I am specifically soliciting opinions from folks here who have experience listening to both Mytek vs Chord DAC/Pre with cans and speakers. Unfortunately I do not have the ability to hear a Chord Hugo TT2 near me.

Thanks in advance and if inappropriate, moderators feel free to delete.

alekc

Hi,
Hope it is not too late to answer you question even if only partially. I haven't used both Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and Hugo TT2 with speakers - I have cans only experience.

TT2 is definitively more musical than Mytek Brooklyn Bridge/DAC+, however honestly speaking I was disappointed with TT2 considering it is FPGA based dac especially when comparing with other dacs in the similar price range. I was expecting something extraordinary judging from my previous experience with Mojo. Unfortunately nothing such happened. I even found other headphone dacs/amps that sounded better in my opinion (read: gave me more joy of music listening).

Coming back to comparison with Mytek Brooklyn Bridge: I would prefer TT2 for sound signature but if you consider price difference (Bridge is almost half the price of TT2 and a bit more expensive than Hugo 2) and the fact that is is also a streamer Mytek won in my book. TT2 recessed headphone input didn't help either (especially when you are using IEMs cables and TT2 is not standing on the edge of something) and the fact that Chord haven't solved all problems with their 2go/2yu solution making it a usable product before actually releasing it to the market didn't help either in TT2 favor.

To make long story short: if the price is not an objective and you do not care about having a tidy, simple single box solution (ok, Mytek may require an amp but TT2 does too) TT2 maybe worth considering, however at that price range there are many other choices and the FPGA implementation didn't do wonders like I expected. Maybe Mojo rised the bar to high. I went with Mytek.

Top Bottom