• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Qutest vs Rme Adi 2 dac

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
'm hoping the RME will scratch that itch and I can finally just relax and enjoy the music! :D

That is exactly what the ADI-2 is. A stellar piece of gear that will make you forget about any upgrade for a looooooong time. Just enjoy your music knowing this isn't the weak link! The next DAC I'm going to buy will be nothing but an "ADI-3 DAC"...

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That is exactly what the ADI-2 is. A stellar piece of gear that will make you forget about any upgrade for a looooooong time. Just enjoy your music knowing this isn't the weak link! The next DAC I'm going to buy will be nothing but an "ADI-3 DAC"...

I'm even more excited now! :cool:

Told the missus about it because I can't get away with a box just turning up out of the blue without a million questions.... I decided to get in first.. :D
I obviously lowered the price by quite a significant margin to allow for WAF....
It was only £200....bloody bargain.. ;)

I haven't figured out the Zen mini mk3 coming yet but I'll get there.... That one could be another bargain of the century... :facepalm:

Sparky

Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, what have you guys got connected up to your RME?

Sparky

Forum Donor
Hmmm. Is there any reason why you've chosen those particular inputs for the sources you have?

Serious question as I'm a noob at this and am trying to figure out how to get the best out of it when it comes.

The Zen mini Mk3 I've ordered supposedly has an asynchronous USB output so I guess I'll put that into the USB B.
If it doesn't, which input would you advise I use..

McFly

USB and S/PDIF coax are on par these days. TOSLINK is only useful for TVs as it provides isolation from ground loops.
You have nothing to worry about other than what your streamer/source/transport is putting into the RME.
My setup is Roon Core - LAN - router - LAN - alloUSbridge - USB cable - RME - power amp - speakers.
I also have the TV going into the Toslink input of the RME and the RME has an auto detect so theres no need to switch source.
Volume control done by the RME remote.

Sparky

Forum Donor
Ah, brilliant. That's great to know!

I don't have Roon but it's something I may try to integrate in the future? I'm led to believe it's the go to application for all things audio!

I intend to use USB for the Zen, optical to PS4 and coax into a Bluetooth receiver.
My set up is more geared towards home theatre but I really want to step up my audio game hence the RME and Zen (cd ripper/server/streamer).
I'm only at the beginning of my audio journey and you may scoff at my home theatre orientated set up but everyone has to start somewhere eh....

I have an Arcam SR250 which is an AVR but it downmixes everything into 2 channel and does it well but I really want to release myself from its limited abilities and focus more on the music.

Will the RME allow me to use my amp/avr to control volume?

Sparky

Forum Donor
Oh and what interconnects are you using (please don't say £1000 rca's) :D

McFly

I was using some QED (circa $50 - performance?) interconnect cables that a dealer threw in with a purchase. Recently I bought a pair of those 'WBC' cables after reading the "audio cable business is getting out of hand" thread, simply because I liked the way the cables were engineered, and the QED's I had would attempt to rip every socket from its PCB - too damn tight.

Sparky

Forum Donor
I have some QED interconnects and I find the same thing. Really tight fitting.
Thought I had snapped an rca in my amp once... Stupidly tight.

I'm going to buy some Audioquest Cinnamon (don't know if you have those where you are as I'm in England). Seem to offer good value for money.
It's all snake oil really though eh.... Batteries on cables n all that. :D:rolleyes:

McFly

It is most measurably snake oil. We do get audioquest here from one dealer. After seeing the pricing i wouldnt bother.

Sparky

Forum Donor
Oh I thought it was reasonable..... When you compare it to some prices.
I mean, I don't mind paying £40 for an interconnect like I am doing but when you see them for £1000+ for 1 metre lengths.... Crazy!!!

Sparky

Forum Donor
Got an email today saying the RME will be delayed.
They were showing stock on the website I used (HiFix UK) they must have to order them in.....

Same story with the ZEN mini mk3..... :rolleyes:

doug2761

Forum Donor
@VintageFlanker Giving you a shout out on this old thread for your various posts re RME ADI-2 and Chord Qutest. Between the objective measurements from Amir and Archimago and your experience with these two devices I decided to buy one for use as a transportable desktop headphone amp+dac and possibly to directly drive a Purifi amp if I assemble one in the future. I have it in my main system doing some subjective A/B comparisons with the Qutest. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind test.

I tend to agree with your view that the Qutest with incisive neutral (white) filter gets to be fatiguing. I haven't seen any measurable difference between incisive neutral and warm (orange) and I can't hear a difference when A/B testing but I don't seem to experience the same fatigue with the warm filter over extended listening. Comparing Qutest with warm filter to RME with sharp filter they sound identical to me in A/B comparison. As you mentioned in other posts I think I sense a bit wider soundstage with the Qutest and a bit more warmth with the RME. I wonder if there's any difference in how they behave in the time domain. Perhaps it's the power of suggestion over me from various reviews.

Regardless of the nuances either real or imaginary, the RME is a terrific device packed with a lot of useful features. If I didn't already have a Qutest then I'd be happy with two of the RME's. I have lots of confidence in the device and that helps me to just enjoy the music.

Cheers.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey! It has been a while since I wrote these posts...

@VintageFlankerI have it in my main system doing some subjective A/B comparisons with the Qutest. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind test.
As I failed to, finaly...:facepalm:

The biggest mistake in my earlier A/B subjective comparisons, apart from being sighted, was the lack of level matching. Latter, I've got another Qutest at home and adjust the RME properly: 8.5dBu against 2V on Qutest, or 12dBu Vs 3V. It was quite a humbling experience as I stand corrected by a mile: It became impossible to pick one over the other.

A friend of mine helped me with A/B blind listening (Not DBT), both connected through two USBs and synchronized by Roon, same output voltage, and he was just switching the RCA inputs on my Denon PMA-2500NE. Absolutely no difference whatsoever.o_O

doug2761

Forum Donor
Hey! It has been a while since I wrote these posts...

A friend of mine helped me with A/B blind listening (Not DBT), both connected through two USBs and synchronized by Roon, same output voltage, and he was just switching the RCA inputs on my Denon PMA-2500NE. Absolutely no difference whatsoever.o_O

Not hearing a difference is a good thing; removes a lot of neurosis from the listening experience. The RME is a very well built unit with more functionality than the Qutest. Your willingness to share your direct experience with the two units helped firm up my purchase decision for the RME. Thanks again for sharing.

Top Bottom