• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord mojo question

ipaulr

I have UE Live IEMs incoming, and I’m very excited about it. I’m thinking about getting an amplifier that would work with my iPhone 11 promax. But I have a special need since I have profound hearing loss.

I need to use the Equalizer+ app on my iPhone in order to correct for my hearing loss. It does a fantastic job with my current wireless earbuds: B&O EQ; M&D MW08 Sport; B&W PI7; Sony WF-1000MX4. It’s a fantastic little app that provides +18 DB and -24DP correction across a wide range of frequencies. Without the app these earphones sound lousy to me, but with them they sound unbelievable, just fantastic.

So here’s my question. Will the chord mojo take only the raw digital music file, without my equalizer corrections? If so then I don’t think it’s of any use to me. I suspect that all amps or dac amps that connect directly and wired to my iPhone will only take the raw digital file, without my equalizer adjustments. Is that true?

I’ve been thinking that this is the case so I’ve been looking for Bluetooth amps that would take my equalizer processed files and give better amplification to my UEs. Two the seemed interesting: FiiO BTR5; iFi xCAN Portable Balanced Dual Mono Headphone Amplifier with Bluetooth AptX and AAC Codecs for 2.5mm and 3.5mm TRRS and TRS Connectors.

From what I’ve read, the chord mojo would provide way better sound quality to my UE. That would be great if I also have the EQ I need.

Your thoughts?

dc655321

Major Contributor
The mojo can provide more power than the $10 Apple dongle, but it cannot magically transform your audio experience. And you don't need a lot of power for iems.

Also, if you're applying EQ to a signal, then that typically happens prior to an amplifier or DAC receiving the signal. So, no worries on an external amp/DAC not accepting the EQ'd signal.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree with @dc655321 post above but if you want to make the UE wireless, look at the qudelix 5k Bluetooth (or wired) dac /amp unit. Half the size of a matchbox, pretty powerful, has ability to eq in the unit after the Bluetooth /wired signal is received. Review on this site. Its around £100 but is very flexible.

Edit, OK not make the UE actually wireless, but you could free yourself somewhat from them having to be tied to your phone.

OP
I

ipaulr

Excellent option. Now my number one choice so far. Thanks so much!

One question just to make sure I understand. For the dac function to work I would have to be wired to the iPhone, to get raw digital input into the device. Right?

If I use wireless Bluetooth connection to my phone, then I would only be getting to use the amp function of this device, right? But I would also get to use the EQ in the app as well, perhaps on top of my equalizer plus Yep, right?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent option. Now my number one choice so far. Thanks so much!

One question just to make sure I understand. For the dac function to work I would have to be wired to the iPhone, to get raw digital input into the device. Right?

If I use wireless Bluetooth connection to my phone, then I would only be getting to use the amp function of this device, right? But I would also get to use the EQ in the app as well, perhaps on top of my equalizer plus Yep, right?

Assume thats a reply to me. No, you can use the EQ functions on the Qudelix itself with Bluetooth feeding it. Or EQ on the phone and send that as mentioned above over BT or wired

I use an Android phone so cant 100% guarantee a seamless iphone Bluetooth experience but there shouldnt be an issue- I know there are different connectivity issues with iphones and USB DACs generally (Apple camera connection kit needed) but if BT is your primary connection, yeah it should work fine as is. Im sure an apple based Qudelix owner will chime in sooner or later to confirm

Oh and the EQ is 10+ full parametric bands , plus there is onboard balance controls too in case you have different sensitivities in L&R ears. Possibly the ideal device for the money.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Bought the Qudelix and totally love it!!!! Thanks!!!

Congrats. Is it the Equalizer+ app with 7 bands EQ?

Also, do you wear hearing aids typically?

When (not if) I develop hearing loss, I'd like to know if I can still enjoy music with EQ, by taking hearing aids out and putting on headphones.

OP
I

ipaulr

Yes, 7 bands. Icon looks like a little EQ box.

I have profound hearing loss, so yes, I wear Oticon aides always. Trying out Widex Momentum next week.

Yes, especially with the Qudelix, you can. Leaving the hearing aides in and putting on headphones is awful. Use the headphones without the aides. Fantastic with the Qudelix. Getting UE Live CSX IEMs soon, and can't wait!!

Even the new crop of high end Bluetooth Earbuds (Master&Dynamic MW08 Sport; B&W PI7; Beoplay EQ) are terrific with Equalizer+.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yes, 7 bands. Icon looks like a little EQ box.

I have profound hearing loss, so yes, I wear Oticon aides always. Trying out Widex Momentum next week.

Yes, especially with the Qudelix, you can. Leaving the hearing aides in and putting on headphones is awful. Use the headphones without the aides. Fantastic with the Qudelix. Getting UE Live CSX IEMs soon, and can't wait!!

Even the new crop of high end Bluetooth Earbuds (Master&Dynamic MW08 Sport; B&W PI7; Beoplay EQ) are terrific with Equalizer+.

Thanks for sharing this. And very happy to read you are still enjoying music .

Top Bottom