• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 34 9.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 145 41.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 156 45.1%

• Total voters

Daveya.

I've read the whole thread and I've no idea whether the members here like the Mojo 2, or not, anyway I've bought one for Hifiman Edition XS, will be connected to a phone

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read the whole thread and I've no idea whether the members here like the Mojo 2, or not, anyway I've bought one for Hifiman Edition XS, will be connected to a phone
Classic! (Ok, I mean probably not the best rationale for buying one) :( It'll perform fine according to the measurements, I'd rather have $800 though!

Daveya.

I'd like to try the Edition XS with more power, but still have some portability around the house , my music only comes via phone/tablet/laptop , and would still like some form of EQ as quite sensitive to too much base , the first post and measurements, the specs and price seem to suit my useage case and tastes. I'm none the wiser having read every post , seems to divide opinions

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to try the Edition XS with more power, but still have some portability around the house , my music only comes via phone/tablet/laptop , and would still like some form of EQ as quite sensitive to too much base , the first post and measurements, the specs and price seem to suit my useage case and tastes. I'm none the wiser having read every post , seems to divide opinions
It's just too expensive really, and some of the philosophy of the design has some dubious claims from the designer of the equipment - but that doesn't affect the product measurements/sound in a negative way, so that's fine from that point of view. Enjoy your purchase. I haven't checked if the Mojo2 can drive your Edition XS to very loud volumes though, which is the only potential issue that could arise.

Daveya.

I'm not fussed about the cost tbh, I waste money on so many other things in life I'm not worried about whether this should be 100 quid less etc etc.

At £450 it's ok for me

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not fussed about the cost tbh, I waste money on so many other things in life I'm not worried about whether this should be 100 quid less etc etc.

At £450 it's ok for me
Fair do's.

Daveya.

It seems in this thread there is criticism of the designers claims, I can't comment on that as I don't know, but what I can say it's thats not a bad thing if it's the reason for eBay resale prices.

Second hand they sell for silly money it seems so it's a relatively safe investment

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems in this thread there is criticism of the designers claims, I can't comment on that as I don't know, but what I can say it's thats not a bad thing if it's the reason for eBay resale prices.

Second hand they sell for silly money it seems so it's a relatively safe investment
It is not that expensive.
It is pretty peerless, it has the power, the sound quality, build quality, special features and has passed ASR's highest objective tests.
It is a wonderful device, enjoy it.
So is the EDXS, they work well together.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More measurements below.

Daveya.

It is not that expensive.
It is pretty peerless, it has the power, the sound quality, build quality, special features and has passed ASR's highest objective tests.
It is a wonderful device, enjoy it.
So is the EDXS, they work well together.
Well, all of that and more so far from me a big thumbs up.

Menu system is a doddle, takes no time at all to get used to it and I tweaked the Edition XS a little in EQ.

It's fantastic

OloBolo

I use EDXS and mojo 2 combo. I fkn love it. I love this lossless eq option. Some say that EDXS is bad for metal or rock, but with Mojo 2 it became perfect for me. It has beaten my 5k$ audio system.

Daveya.

I use EDXS and mojo 2 combo. I fkn love it. I love this lossless eq option. Some say that EDXS is bad for metal or rock, but with Mojo 2 it became perfect for me. It has beaten my 5k$ audio system.
I love it to, and have the Dan Clark Aeon 2 on the way as my wife keeps asking me to turn it down even when I'm on a different room.

OloBolo

I have heard some rumors that you can get better audio performance if you use Mojo with poly, usb decrapifier or optical input. Is it true? Or just snake oil. I use Lenovo Laptop as a source and I do not plan on buying poly.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For decrapifier look no further than Topping HS01.
I have got one, and in my case it does NOTHING!
If your system has ground loop noise issue, then and only then a decrapifier or Optical link can help, how much of a help or audibility of it varies.
For ground loop noise to show its ugly head, you need to have a loop first.
A phone connected to a portable DAC/amp connected to headphones, there is no loop.
A grounded computer connected electrically to the same DAC/amp connected to a grounded amplifier, there is a loop!
The loop is from ground to the computer, to the DAC, to the amp and back again to ground.
Disconnect one, the loop is broken.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
For decrapifier look no further than Topping HS01.
I have got one, and in my case it does NOTHING!
If your system has ground loop noise issue, then and only then a decrapifier or Optical link can help, how much of a help or audibility of it varies.
For ground loop noise to show its ugly head, you need to have a loop first.
A phone connected to a portable DAC/amp connected to headphones, there is no loop.
A grounded computer connected electrically to the same DAC/amp connected to a grounded amplifier, there is a loop!
The loop is from ground to the computer, to the DAC, to the amp and back again to ground.
Disconnect one, the loop is broken.
But just because there is a loop, doesn't automatically mean there will be a ground loop problem. If you can't hear noise that is eliminated by breaking the loop, then no problem.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But just because there is a loop, doesn't automatically mean there will be a ground loop problem. If you can't hear noise that is eliminated by breaking the loop, then no problem.
Correct.
I believe I said the same.
However in Mojo's case the HF noise from an RF source can pollute the ground plane and its effect on the analogue section of the DAC is a somewhat bright sounding distortion .
So you may not hear the noise itself, but may hear its effects.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Correct.
I believe I said the same.
However in Mojo's case the HF noise from an RF source can pollute the ground plane and its effect on the analogue section of the DAC is a somewhat bright sounding distortion .
So you may not hear the noise itself, but may hear its effects.
Really? Is there evidence of that? RF is inaudible, so unless you are talking high energy fields modulated with audio frequency signals, I'd be interested in how that is happening. Also in how it is polluting a gound plane, which by definition is low impedance and grounded.

Top Bottom