• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 34 9.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 145 41.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 156 45.1%

• Total voters

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Me after a few beers in a dark room, listening to Pink Floyd.
So it is not just the looks, it functions in a peculiar manner.

I think you’ve just summed up why I like the operation of the unit when i listen late at night - there is a visible feedback that means I can apply volume control, crossfeed and eq all with the touch of a button without having to lift the unit to view a screen. I’d say it’s a well designed interface/ui that succeeds for being so different (and friendly?) in use whilst maintaining complete functionality, and I like the industrial design.

After a few hrs the first night where I familiarised myself with the online manual and button operation/colour sequence I can say I’ve not looked at it again.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't he get the same 110dB SINAD...? Only noise levels are different but since it's measured from TRS headphone outputs that isn't really that unexpected?
There are no other outputs.
Yes, pretty much the same, but some USB noise figures are different.
I suppose if Amir and Goldenears had tested all three inputs, by comparison we could see what was what.
And both missed the chance to do some test on DSP functionality, which is supposed to be the groundbreaking feature.

Veri

Master Contributor
There are no other outputs.
Yes I know, my point being that it's being connected to an output not otherwise meant for further upstream devices but rather as a "final" output. So not surprising one can get some noise connecting it to the AP. In fact I disagree that GoldenSound would put an USB isolator in front of all his latest measurements, you would completely lose any relevant info about said device having terrible digital interface plagued with noise!

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...... you would completely lose any relevant info about said device having terrible digital interface plagued with noise!
My goodness, you too, Brutus?
They should change the name of this thread to Mojo bashing party.
Nothing of the sort:
- the noise is from outside, it is not Mojo that is noisy, rather that it is being injected into it.
- Mojo is primarily a Mobile Joy device, so battery power is at a premium, it does not have galvanic isolation on USB input (name another that does)
- We are talking ridiculously microscopic amount of noise here, it is all academic, it makes no difference to man or beast!
For completeness, checking all three inputs would have been useful, to distinguish source noise from device noise.

Last edited:

Madlop26

I am curious, what did you use to blind test the A90/SU9 vs S9 dongle and are you sure you did the blind test properly? Based on what you said if mojo is a waste then A90/SU9 can be considered a waste too because there was no difference/improvement.
I use my 2 Macs connected to each gear, and synchronize the same song (soldier of love by sade )playing on both
I got my wife to make the plug switching while I kept my eyes closed, for about 5 min, (that is the longest I could make her put up with my nonsense), lol. fast switching every 5 to 10 seconds on and on from A to B. Volume matching is paramount and really hard to get, I know the minimal difference will mess up the test, so my first step was while blinded I make her raise the volume of A or B to a listening position, and then raise the other, tried to match volume the best I could, blinded, I know, not the most rigorous scientific method just a humble approach (let me know guys if you have a better method, but do not make expend more money!), I spent the first 3 minutes just telling her to adjust the volume of A or B until I felt the volumes were right then the next minutes just focusing on sound quality.
The A90/SU9 is undoubtedly not a waste, the Hidiiz can not drive my Dan Clark RT or HD800s properly, besides other functionalities.

I‘m unsure sure why your sorry bout my money being wasted on the mojo though?, I’m well chuffed with it, sounds good, crossfeed is entertaining for certain tracks/styles of music, eq is handy and easy to develop a signature tuning, not had any noise/pops/crackles despite actively trying to induce issues though cable wiggling/placed close to high RFI power bricks, strapped to my iPhone etc, objectively measures well - certainly good for my ears and I’m not bothered bout the money - £400 well spent imho so that’s all that really matters ain’t it?, Oh…..and the glow of the mojo in a dark room makes me happy - yeah….weird huh?. I’ll take a pass on blind comparisons with a £100 dongle as I think I’ll just listen to music instead.
I agree, whatever makes you happy man, I can not deny the importance of that

Veri

Master Contributor
My goodness, you too, Brutus?
They should change the name of this thread to Mojo bashing party.
Oh my comment was 100% in general and not necessarily about the Mojo. That's why I used the "device" nomer :) don't put words in my mouth ;)
I meant that if Amir were to use galvanic isolation in all his tests for example, we would lose valuable information about a device needing it. See my point?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh my comment was 100% in general and not necessarily about the Mojo. That's why I used the "device" nomer :) don't put words in my mouth ;)
I meant that if Amir were to use galvanic isolation in all his tests for example, we would lose valuable information about a device needing it. See my point?
Yes, I see your point alright.
However, not knowing if a certain noise is from the source or generated by the device is also not good.
By testing at least the toslink input as well (native isolation by default) and including it, perhaps we can get a true picture of the device's true noise figure.
Your statement "Terrible digital interface plagued by noise" seemed . . . .
Even without USB isolation, noise figures are nothing to worry about.
Galvanic isolation on USB input requires power, it is not just a passive filter, it is an active circuitry. Mobile units are primarily designed to work with cellphones, which are not noisy on their USB output, contrary to common belief, so to save battery, no galvanic isolation.
Desktop DACs can afford the extra power drain, so they mostly have it.

dananski

Why not a larger cel tel with bigger battery and display? Do we have access to cel tel tests like @amirm does for audio gear? How are smart cel tels holding up against a CHORD Mojo 2? Myself I'm more into a bigger display with armor and a pen for commands and stuff.
Yeah there are a few reviewed ones here, the best being the LG G7. I looked into getting a second hand one to use as a Roon streamer when I saw it would equal or outperform any DAC I have. But it's not quite up to Mojo 2's standards. I'd like to see more phones and tablets reviewed here.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last night, I picked up a Topping DX7 pro on eBay, waiting for it to arrive.
This is my first Topping highend (?) DAC , which according to Amir and others, should be a giant killer.
I no longer have a Mojo2, but I do have a Hugo2 - let's see how they compare sonically (subjectively ) for me.
I will report back.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
. I have heard the Gryphon but not the Chord—it is my intention to submit the former to Amir to test this comparison objectively.
Helpfully its been tested here https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/ifi-gryphon
As predicted there is that ifi spray of distortion but its powerful. So if you need the power, it's an option. If you're way down the volume knob, objectively better with a good dongle.

Price notwithstanding the mojo 2 looks better on paper for a portable battery powered dac /amp

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I've just paid attention to the price difference between the Mojo 2 in the UK vs the USA price, bloody hell......you folk are paying way more for the Mojo 2 stateside so I can now understand some of the dislike for the unit.

I bought my Mojo 2 here in the UK for £400 which is $505, you folk stateside are paying $799 which is £633, that's more than a 50% increase :oops: , why so much difference?.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've just paid attention to the price difference between the Mojo 2 in the UK vs the USA price, bloody hell......you folk are paying way more for the Mojo 2 stateside so I can now understand some of the dislike for the unit.

I bought my Mojo 2 here in the UK for £400 which is $505, you folk stateside are paying $799 which is £633, that's more than a 50% increase :oops: , why so much difference?.
Don't forget sales Tax!
in UK VAT (sales tax) is included in the price, in US, gets added at checkout.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
If I need a dongle I will get one. I don't see what this thing does that a dongle does not, apart from being heavy, bulky, expensive and having a weird look. No thanks.
Everything from chord looks weird.. if I could afford the expensive stuff I would have to hide it somewhere in a cupboard .

I'm really immune to how audio gear looks but that chord stuff is really challenging to look at

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Don't forget sales Tax!
Ah yeah, forgot you have additional tax added on, not all states are the same either are they? - must get bloody irritating when your shopping online.

still, tax aside……..50% more expensive :oops: , I guess it can also work the other way with USA made goods imported to the uk.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just realized that for a bit more as the half of the price you can get the Hidizs S9 Pro dongle ($116), the Hidizs DH80S DAC/Amp ($139) and the Hidizs AP 80 Pro DAP ($169). Each one of those even looks 100% nicer than the Mojo 2. You were extremley flexible with this package and all devices measure great. The only thing that would be missing is driving very difficult headphones, but these I would listen to at my desktop place anyway and not carry around. You can get e.g. an SMSL Sh-8 S for $229 and would still spend less. Just think about it, a dongle, a portable headphone amp with DAC, a DAP and a powerful desktop headphone amp, all this togther for less. Crazy.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use my 2 Macs connected to each gear, and synchronize the same song (soldier of love by sade )playing on both
I got my wife to make the plug switching while I kept my eyes closed, for about 5 min, (that is the longest I could make her put up with my nonsense), lol. fast switching every 5 to 10 seconds on and on from A to B. Volume matching is paramount and really hard to get, I know the minimal difference will mess up the test, so my first step was while blinded I make her raise the volume of A or B to a listening position, and then raise the other, tried to match volume the best I could, blinded, I know, not the most rigorous scientific method just a humble approach (let me know guys if you have a better method, but do not make expend more money!), I spent the first 3 minutes just telling her to adjust the volume of A or B until I felt the volumes were right then the next minutes just focusing on sound quality.
The A90/SU9 is undoubtedly not a waste, the Hidiiz can not drive my Dan Clark RT or HD800s properly, besides other functionalities.
Agree. My suggestion to the previous comment was even if they SOUND the same with specific headphones/iems, the full capacity and usability between those two setups are still different. So I think it's a little harsh to assume it's a waste when we don't know what the other guy uses his mojo 2 for. And most of all he is satisfied with it so it's alright, everyone here already reads measurements from time to time so they know what they are getting.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Helpfully its been tested here https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/ifi-gryphon
As predicted there is that ifi spray of distortion but its powerful. So if you need the power, it's an option. If you're way down the volume knob, objectively better with a good dongle.

Price notwithstanding the mojo 2 looks better on paper for a portable battery powered dac /amp
Thanks. Better on paper but the Gryphon has many handy features—the analog bass boost and balanced pentaconn output are both features I use often. I think iFi handicaps themselves by their devotion to Burr Brown chips, because their designs are otherwise very well executed. I think that chipset has always been a limiting step in their performance measurements. For my purposes the relative decrements in SINAD seem to be inaudible and are outweighed by the other benefits it offers, although I still have to perform an ABX test to confirm this. This is why I’d like to see what Amir makes of it…

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last night, I picked up a Topping DX7 pro on eBay, waiting for it to arrive.
This is my first Topping highend (?) DAC , which according to Amir and others, should be a giant killer.
I no longer have a Mojo2, but I do have a Hugo2 - let's see how they compare sonically (subjectively ) for me.
I will report back.
Futile exercise. Results will only be valid for you and flawed on top. So why even bother sharing? They are useless for everyone else.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Futile exercise. Results will only be valid for you and flawed on top. So why even bother sharing? They are useless for everyone else.
They'll only be flawed on top if you forget to baste. You want that slightly sweet crispy skin and tender juicy middle.

Top Bottom