• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 34 9.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 145 41.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 156 45.1%

• Total voters

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This performs way, way past audible thresholds in my opinion and I'd argue it is completely unnecessary
Thats true and also why it should focus on design and usability.... it fails on both and leaves only good perfromance, something that hundreds of devices do.

Nango

Major Contributor
there's no independent volume control for each output, so unless both headphones have the same impedance and sensitivity, A/Bing will be very annoying as you'll have to adjust the volume each time you switch.
The source you are using can manage the volume control. It is one click.

Last edited:

Ra1zel

Everyone is also overlooking the fact that this has crossfeed. That already makes it sound better than 99% of DACs/amps on the market.
I click the crossfeed button on my player on PC/Phone. 0$.

Nango

Major Contributor
Most of us carry a smartphone with us. I can see a use for something like a Mojo with that, especially if the phone (or adapter) doesn't provide enough power, but what does a DAP do that a phone doesn't if you don't use its DAC+amp?
DAP doesn't drain off the phone's battery. But I see your point, Mojo is useless if you have to use a phone.

dtaylo1066

There is no analog line out, right? Can your run the headphone out into an external preamp/amp in one's home system?

Nango

Major Contributor
There is no analog line out, right? Can your run the headphone out into an external preamp/amp in one's home system?
The signal at the headphone out is already amplified, it will get amplified again in your home system, nothing wrong with it if you like it. Purists will say "how can you do that?".

Moderate Dionysianism

there is little use for it which can not be satisfied with a good dongle + smartphone
IME & IMHO, dongles arent't really a portable solution. Firstly, the battery drain - my phone would last ~3 hours tops driving the DragonFly Red. I sometimes take walks longer than that, not to mention train rides etc.

Then there is the (im)practicality. If you let it hang by the cable, it won't fit in a pocket, and it's super easy to disconnect it accidentally + wreck the port in the long run. And if you're strapping to the back of the phone it's easier to secure something bulkier.

Been using the NX4DSD for ca. 4 years (currently paired with HD 25), well built, works like a charm, fits in a waist bag, has really good, precise volume control and a rudimentary bass shelf setting. I wouldn't go back to a dongle for portable use.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
IME & IMHO, dongles arent't really a portable solution. Firstly, the battery drain - my phone would last ~3 hours tops driving the DragonFly Red. I sometimes take walks longer than that, not to mention train rides etc.

Then there is the (im)practicality. If you let it hang by the cable, it won't fit in a pocket, and it's super easy to disconnect it accidentally + wreck the port in the long run. And if you're strapping to the back of the phone it's easier to secure something bulkier.

This is why I've been screaming about the V60 as the best DAP alternative for low to moderate impedance iem or cans. No dongle required (ESS9219 as found in Tempotec, Fiio, Shanling and Qudelix devices), 70 hrs battery life, 1.9vrms output (says LG) LDAC if you want. Need a fairly large pocket though. In high impedance mode drives my HE-4XX just fine.

Last edited:

CedarX

Forum Donor
Besides the output can already reach 4.8V (5.2V at 1% dist)
5.2V at 1% dist.: I assume there is a DC/DC boost converter for the amp rail(s). Is the boost active for both battery and (direct) USB power modes? In other words, can we assume that the measured power & distortion are the same in battery and USB power modes?

PeteL

Major Contributor
The signal at the headphone out is already amplified, it will get amplified again in your home system, nothing wrong with it if you like it. Purists will say "how can you do that?".
Not really, it's a misconception, the very Hi impedance of a line in means very small current. No power being pulled. No load. If the output voltage is proper, really the only real "amplification" to occurs will be at the amp and your phone behave like a line stage. There is nothing wrong, straight ohm law, purist are just misguided there is no double amplification. The main worry is that most phone outs won't provide a full 2V.

Last edited:

fastfreddy666

Mojo 2 FTW. Kudos to Chord I'm afraid i'm not the target audience. As a man with limited resources the price/performance ratio is not great. I'm happy with my Tempotec HD pro.

66 mw 32 ohm. 300 ohm 14 mw. 66 Mw is not enough to drive a 23 ohm Drop Ether CX headphone I'm afraid. But that thing is out of my price range anyway.
Amirm uses one in his tests regularly. He has way more disposable income than me. I'm not jealous. He deserves every penny of it. Amirm is a GOD. (of science?)
I'm a nobody. I'm curently using a Sennheiser HD 560s. It sounds good without EQ. With EQ it will blow your mind. Thee sensitivity of the 560s is 111.91 dB/V SPL by the voltage and 104.00 dB/mW SPL by the power.

It's not really comparable because the Mojo 2 has its own power source. USB power depends on the device you're using. Announced in 2021, the USB PD Revision 3.1 specification is a major update to enable delivering up to 240W of power (28V, 36V, and 48V fixed voltages enable up to 140W, 180W and 240W power levels, respectively...)
over a USB-C cable. 240 WHAT?

“You can only make two mistakes when traveling on the road to truth: not starting, and not going all the way.” – Buddha

What i'm trying to say is that you need to pay close attention to the specs of your equipment and make sure that it is capable of driving the thing you want to drive without $%$* with the frequency response and/or distortion. The truth will set you free.

I NEED MY MOJO BACK

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
DAP doesn't drain off the phone's battery. But I see your point, Mojo is useless if you have to use a phone.
Battery drain is minimal using either BT or wired earphones. What drains a phone most is the screen, especially if you play any video.

Dan Clark

Audio Company
The Mojo 2 really pairs well with the AEON and ETHER line… the upgrade to the upper registers from the original Mojo is really nice. I’m waiting to get one for home use with the Poly as my wander-around-the-house system. I seldom listen above 80db to protect my hearing, at that level Mojo 2 is totally fine with Stealth.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
That's exactly how Chord expect you to use it. There's no big difference between line-out and headphone out except that a line-out is usually fixed.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
5.2V at 1% dist.: I assume there is a DC/DC boost converter for the amp rail(s). Is the boost active for both battery and (direct) USB power modes? In other words, can we assume that the measured power & distortion are the same in battery and USB power modes?

Yes, the original Mojo also had a high output voltage.
It requires an internal DCDC converter.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This is why I've been screaming about the V60 as the best DAP alternative for low to moderate impedance iem or cans. No dongle required (ESS9219 as found in Tempotec, Fiio, Shanling and Qudelix devices), 70 hrs battery life, 1.9vrms output (says LG) LDAC if you want. Need a fairly large pocket though. In high impedance mode drives my HE-4XX just fine.
Yes, it seems that LG makes the best phone for use as a DAP.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Well, that makes it poor, doesn't it? What's the point of a super-steep filter if still doesn't reach full attenuation at Nyquist?
826.jpg

For comparison, the ES9038Q2M with its Brickwall filter has >100dB attenuation at Nyquist, but it's only flat to about 19.4KHz (-4dB at 20):
ES9038Q2M Filter Response_-4x_foolhardy_Remacri.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom