• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 358 88.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 6.9%

• Total voters

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I just feel we need to be challenged Adam,
Deaf
Equipment not resolving enough
Element ‘X’ no one knows what it is and it can’t be measured but come the day…
Envy/jealousy of expensive equipment
Really fine measuring equipment can sound bad
Adding a s**t load of distortion produces a ‘more realistic reproduction of the performance , ( my personal favourite)
Don’t listen to music only look at graphs
Reviewers and magazines wouldn’t lie ( equal joint favourite)
Have I missed any?
Come on subjectivist give us something to work with ,

‘Data! Data! Data!.. I can't make bricks without clay.’

Keith

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Deaf
Adding a s**t load of distortion produces a ‘more realistic reproduction of the performance , ( my personal favourite)
Have I missed any?

Keith
... let me try to add: "there is so much science has not uncovered yet"

Next to your favorites, I like "really fine measuring equipment sounds bad" makes for great story telling and continues to spread the doubt, whithout having to actually commit to facts and which is important to continue to providing the ground that everyone can sell any sh...t as long as the story fits.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... let me try to add: "there is so much science has not uncovered yet"

Next to your favorites, I like "really fine measuring equipment sounds bad" makes for great story telling and continues to spread the doubt, whithout having to actually commit to facts and which is important to continue to providing the ground that everyone can sell any sh...t as long as the story fits.

Along these lines, don't forget the reference to Newtonian physics vs. Einstein as proof that we don't know everything and that all the current audio science can be completely wrong. This to be proven so by the next "Audio Einstein", whenever one finally shows up.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Along these lines, don't forget the reference to Newtonian physics vs. Einstein as proof that we don't know everything and that all the current audio science can be completely wrong. This to be proven so by the next "Audio Einstein", whenever one finally shows up.
Oh yeah good one... and quantum physics....

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

AdamG

Forum Donor
Deaf
Have I missed any?

Keith
Hi Keith,

I was joking and obviously did a crap job of it. We have so much Trolling here. Trying to deal with it is our largest job. It’s incredibly frustrating and demoralizing for our Members. Some days we just feel like Hampsteers on the wheel. Chasing nothing at a rapid clip. Re-arguing the same truths day after day. The Trolls have evolved and they are getting better at avoiding breaking any rules of conduct. Our hands are tied. We can’t and don’t just Ban them because we disagree. The Members scream at us to do something? It puts us in a catch 22 position.

Thus my post about lowering the bar any further. Don’t have the answers here. Corralling the Troll like Threads into this master catch all thread is our primary method of controlling the polluting of other real technical threads. We are certainly open to suggestions for how to better deal with this. Believe me we the Moderator Team feel the same way about this. We are members too ! :cool:

FlyingFreak

You guys forgot:
‘If your claim is that modern medicine understands everything about hearing, its interpretation, and integration ( not even including subjective confounders) then you are grossly mistaken.’ Jmart

Not only the science going into our box are not known, hearing is not either. A freaking miracle those companies can come up with alol those expensive boxes to help our hobby. And how well they price themselves too ! all the geniuses of the world work in audio cables and power cords. Fact.

VQR

Deaf
Have I missed any?

Keith
Quantum mechanics
22 us
"I didn't say that"
"Vinyl is analog so captures music. Digital only captures graphs"
"Blind tests try to get false negatives"
"You think it's all confirmation bias!"

I wish NPC trolls would get a software update.

Anybody else think we need a golden ears troll iceberg? Seems ripe for the making.

FlyingFreak

"There have been lot's of Audio ABX tests that are consistent with the null hypothesis because of statistical and procedural features that promote such results dramatically over correctly rejecting the null hypothesis in the presence of modest and small audible differences. And that is only unfortunate if you prefer comforting lies (everything sounds the same) to the unpleasant truth." Thor

Reactions: VQR

AdamG

Forum Donor
I forgot to mention how much I appreciate the Senior Members who fight the good fight day in and day out. Incredible commitment and endurance. Respect!

We can only lead the horses to the water. No matter how hard you try you can’t make them drink. Think about how we can make the horse thirsty first?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Keith,

I was joking and obviously did a crap job of it. We have so much Trolling here. Trying to deal with it is our largest job. It’s incredibly frustrating and demoralizing for our Members. Some days we just feel like Hampsteers on the wheel. Chasing nothing at a rapid clip. Re-arguing the same truths day after day. The Trolls have evolved and they are getting better at avoiding breaking any rules of conduct. Our hands are tied. We can’t and don’t just Ban them because we disagree. The Members scream at us to do something? It puts us in a catch 22 position.

Thus my post about lowering the bar any further. Don’t have the answers here. Corralling the Troll like Threads into this master catch all thread is our primary method of controlling the polluting of other real technical threads. We are certainly open to suggestions for how to better deal with this. Believe me we the Moderator Team feel the same way about this. We are members too ! :cool:
I think Keith was just joking too. And the occasional sarcasm keeps one’s sanity reading through the ever repeating crap at times. Thanks for allowing it.

You guys do a great job and other forums ban members the first time they utter something not in line with their opinion. It is always a difficult and fine line between tolerance, necessary discourse and abuse. Keep it up please.

VQR

Hi Keith,

Maybe it's only from being a new member who found ASR in the past year, but I find the trolls entertaining. Probably the best bet for weeding out true trolls from people willing to debate and learn would be by observing how they argue.

Four big trends jump out at me:

1) Bad epistemology; Begging the question is a common tactic, ditto with strawmen; often disbelieving without refutation of established fundamentals like Nyquist, SNR, and audibility thresholds; never want to prove anything, and get mad when any proofs to the contrary are beyond their understanding or liking.

2) Blind testing robs us of the ability to compare; blind testing only gives false negatives; blind tests are stressful; mastering and mixing engineers don't blind test every EQ and fader, so wanting proof of audio phenomena with blind tests is disingenuous.

3) The infallibility of reviewers, luxury manufacturers, and popular consensus; manufacturers may claim hearing acuity to -300 dB and other absurdities with no proof or pushback; anyone disagreeing with FotM subjective reviews is paid off, especially by the Chinese; casual racism to non-American/European brands; Amir is a godhead, and without him us ASR philistines know not what to think

4) Analog fetishism; digital never sounds good; FotM device restores analog fidelity; vinyl is more pure than CD; lack of understanding of ADC's and DAC's; anti-measurement, must only listen with ears; still upset by MoFi gate but refuses to admit they loved their precious MoFi vinyl beforehand like they do now; odd fetish for DSD.

Did I miss anything? :p

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Deaf
Have I missed any?

Keith
"tin-eared" was always a favourite.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hi Keith,

You all do a fantastic job Adam, and soooo much better than that Thomas Savage!
Very best to you all.
Keith

You know I love you really Thomas

FlyingFreak

I forgot to mention how much I appreciate the Senior Members who fight the good fight day in and day out. Incredible commitment and endurance. Respect!

We can only lead the horses to the water. No matter how hard you try you can’t make them drink. Think about how we can make the horse thirsty first?
I am wondering if an agreement between members to not fight the good fight (and instead ignoring any and all posts that makes no sense, or sending people to the master thread Are measurements Everything or Nothing?) would produce better results.
By better results I mean thread like this one to be a couple pages long and then done for example.
So many threads transforms into Are measurements Everything or Nothing? It's mind boggling.

Anyway, thanks your work! I sure couldn't do it.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Our hands are tied. We can’t and don’t just Ban them because we disagree. The Members scream at us to do something? It puts us in a catch 22 position.
Thank you for watching over us.
Please, next time, remind those members, that it takes two to tango!
Not engaging possible trolls, stops them at their tracks, doesn't it?
No need to ban anyone. scream at anyone . . . .

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not engaging possible trolls, stops them at their tracks, doesn't it?
That’s not so easy. If you don’t engage you leave the nonsense for others to read as truth. That’s definitely not something that you want.

Ignoring these people doesn’t get rid of then…

Top Bottom