• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 358 88.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 6.9%

• Total voters

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Yes or something like it. It is core to Rob Watts' marketing talk on these products. Just watch any of his videos.
I do hate it when I hear a meteor shower on Mars. Really takes me out of the music.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Im sure I read somewhere that switching from bypass to M-scaler "on" introduced a level change in the signal. If so it DOES make a difference to the sound (think M scaler was a db or so quieter).

Either way, it doesnt nothing useful yet the Chord squad will say something was flawed in the testing here I am sure.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Im sure I read somewhere that switching from bypass to M-scaler "on" introduced a level change in the signal. If so it DOES make a difference to the sound (think M scaler was a db or so quieter).
I showed the levels and they are very close. The key is that bypass is not bit exact and still attenuated same as when filtering is on.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Every person can answer it for themselves with a blind test.
I expected this forum to help saving time when choosing gear, not the other way around :eek:;) Besides, I don't rate my own assessment capabilities on this field very high so I prefer an objective measurement and read informed people's opinions.

Sokel

Master Contributor

Either way, it doesnt nothing useful yet the Chord squad will say something was flawed in the testing here I am sure.
I'm far-far away from any camp but I think that is something odd there,is very strange that Topping was not able to reject the jitter.

Geert

Major Contributor
The difference is there. You can also see it in this review.
But the real question is whether it provides an audible improvement or not. And that's not something we can answer definitely. Every person can answer it for themselves with a blind test.

Archimago published an article regarding the use of bazillion number taps upsampling: Archimago's Musings: Mega-taps upsampling: Remastero's Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster (PGGB) software. (Broadly on audiophile software & the noise boogeyman.)

In the article he uses 'Remastero', a software to apply the filter offline because it takes so much CPU and time to calculate that applying it in real time isn't feasible. It goes further than what the Chord is attempting.

Guess what the outcome is .... "Alas, I see/hear no evidence of any "magic" here and whatever special processing is being done seems to be low-level and inaudible".

Also a DeltaWave analysis didn't show any meaningful.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm far-far away from any camp but I think that is something odd there,is very strange that Topping was not able to reject the jitter.
Jitter is not a problem. M scale is modifying the input signal by scaling it and possibly with different voltage swings. One or both of these is causing a problem. I could do more testing to figure it out but I don't think it is important.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Jitter is not a problem. M scale is modifying the input signal by scaling it and possibly with different voltage swings. One or both of these is causing a problem. I could do more testing to figure it out but I don't think it is important.
My point is that regardless thingies like this,any decent dac must be immune to any problem cames before it.
I don't care if is a magic sauce like that,a noisy pc or a raspberry.
That test works both ways.
Thanks Amir!

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't understand this product, its target audience and its inner workings, so I refrain from voting. Nice blinky box, though.

poxymoron

This performance would have been poor at 1/10th of the price.
Has upscaling ever been proven to be effective, either objectively or subjectively?
You'd have to imagine that considering Chord actually produce good DACs, albeit quirky and overpriced, that they have indeed got an Audio Precision analyzer. If so then how did the M Scaler not make it onto their test bench? Perhaps it did.
The M Scaler was officially announced 4 years ago, almost to the day, and 1 month or so after @amirm announced his new Audio Precision analyzer. I'd say they've been dreading this test for quite some time. Still, some people can't be told, and they'll continue to ship them around the world.

Last edited:

KxDx

I don't understand this product, its target audience and its inner workings, so I refrain from voting. Nice blinky box, though.
This product: a way to make insane profits from a device that does nothing.

Its target audience: people who will convince themselves their music "sounds $6000 better" after buying this device.

Its inner workings: the bare minimum to make it functional and show off fancy lights that make it appear it's doing something.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the review, and for the invaluable resource that this site offers.

It's a shame - I want to like Chord - now I don't (can't)

Waiting for the time when more companies, at least the engineering led ones, measure and publish performance metrics openly. Then we can move on to considering things that matter and not this sort of nonsense

JSmith

Master Contributor
I reckon people would be better served by purchasing two of these empty McIntosh boxes than this Chord M-Scaler;
... at least it has a use.

JSmith

PeteL

Major Contributor
My point is that regardless thingies like this,any decent dac must be immune to any problem cames before it.
I don't care if is a magic sauce like that,a noisy pc or a raspberry.
That test works both ways.
Thanks Amir!
How can a dac can possibly know what the file that is fed to it was like? If you feed it something with bits in error, it will convert those erroneous bits.

Sokel

Master Contributor
How can a dac can possibly know what the file that is fed to it was like? If you feed it something with bits in error, it will convert those erroneous bits.
To it's specs thought.
(please excuse me if bits can reduce a dac's sinad.etc.,I don't know that much)

When I say immune I mean in terms of noise,jitter,etc.
For example I don't remember the exact case but I remember that a single isolator between the circuit and the screen circuit of an expensive dac save it in it's current version (and it was the only thing added.)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Waiting for the time when more companies, at least the engineering led ones, measure and publish performance metrics openly. Then we can move on to considering things that matter and not this sort of nonsense
CHORD is an engineering company, what they do often is pretty top-end engineering but their business model is marketing to audiophools. I found that disingenuous but here I am from a country who is debating whether the Prime Minister should be sacked for lying or not :)

Top Bottom