• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 358 88.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 6.9%

• Total voters

Jmart

I think you probably injected plenty of noise and jitter.

I won’t be getting an m-scalar, but I believe that it makes a nice difference. Most reviewers on YouTube say it’s a pretty remarkable difference. I wonder why your system or hearing can’t notice it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh you don’t believe anything? It’s likely you believe things on this forum that you had no role in producing, or am I wrong?
Well, you had no role in me producing measurements or measure it yourself. By your logic, you have no business questioning my review then!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh you don’t believe anything?
I believe lots of things, but generally I tend to go by objective evidence. In audio, in many cases, things are believed without a single shred of evidence, substantiation or scientific principles. The industry actively abuses this to sell their products.
It’s likely you believe things on this forum that you had no role in producing, or am I wrong?
What has producing have to do with it?
Most reviewers on YouTube say it’s a pretty remarkable difference.
People on YouTube claim all kinds of things on various subjects. That doesn’t make it true. This is not evidence.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I didn't inject any let alone too much:

index.php

The source is my state of the art analyzer Coax S/PDIF output which as the green line shows, has extremely low jitter. Red line is Chord M-Scalar which is producing jitter on its own -- a fact that was confirmed by Rob Watts (designer).

I suggest you ask questions if you don't understand the review.

As to others saying it is good, all but one did not measure it. And the one that did, found the same problems but swept them under the rug.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

I won’t be getting an m-scalar, but I believe that it makes a nice difference. Most reviewers on YouTube say it’s a pretty remarkable difference. I wonder why your system or hearing can’t notice it.
People on YouTube believe in flat earths, aliens, parallel worlds, Santa Claus … the list goes on.

Audio is no meta physics the electronics are fully understood for years by electronic engineers specializing in the topic. You can calculate (simulate) it and you can measure it. No need for beliefs.

Jmart

Well, you had no role in me producing measurements or measure it yourself. By your logic, you have no business questioning my review then!
Exactly! So then we just go back to taking many different reviews and then determining if we enjoy the music changes ourselves.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Exactly! So then we just go back to taking many different reviews and then determining if we enjoy the music changes ourselves.
Is that what you do when you get sick? Or do you go to a doctor who uses his experience and measurement diagnostics to figure out what is wrong with you???

Look, if you are interested purely in music enjoyment, just about any digital player will perform superbly. You have no business chasing expensive tweaks like this. The only reason to go after these is because someone has persuaded that the gear matters. If so, so do measurements. Don't put your head in the sand and run with that talking point at your own determent.

Jmart

I didn't inject any let alone too much:

index.php

The source is my state of the art analyzer Coax S/PDIF output which as the green line shows, has extremely low jitter. Red line is Chord M-Scalar which is producing jitter on its own -- a fact that was confirmed by Rob Watts (designer).

I suggest you ask questions if you don't understand the review.

As to others saying it is good, all but one did not measure it. And the one that did, found the same problems but swept them under the rug.
Yes I actually just watched a video where he explained that the jitter produced by the mscalar was supposed to be taken care of by the DAC. Interesting viewpoint.

Something is wrong. You don’t hear a difference when most other reviewers do.
What do you propose is the difference between you and other reviewers?

Either they are all trying to sell a product and lying about their subjective findings, or your system/capabilities aren’t allowing you to hear an improvement.

Jmart

Is that what you do when you get sick? Or do you go to a doctor who uses his experience and measurement diagnostics to figure out what is wrong with you???

Look, if you are interested purely in music enjoyment, just about any digital player will perform superbly. You have no business chasing expensive tweaks like this. The only reason to go after these is because someone has persuaded that the gear matters. If so, so do measurements. Don't put your head in the sand and run with that talking point at your own determent.

Actually yes. Medical opinion is often just that. If you were smart, when sick, you would consider getting multiple opinions from other physicians and if most people say one thing then the probability that this is true is far greater. The diagnostic testing often isn’t as relevant as the interpretations of the medical information. Not a great example.

I don’t call listening and reading multiple opinions putting a head in the sand….

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Something is wrong. You don’t hear a difference when most other reviewers do.
What do you propose is the difference between you and other reviewers?
I know the difference between hearing and perceiving. Former is made up of sound waves. Latter is composed of sound, your brain, imagination, bias, etc. The only valid test is one where only sound is involved. None of the youtubers you are going by relied on sound alone. Until they do, their opinion is just fantasy. I too "hear" all kinds of effects that are not real and vanish when testing is performed blind.

You have been here a couple of years yet still ask questions like this?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Actually yes. Medical opinion is often just that. If you were smart, when sick, you would consider getting multiple opinions from other physicians and if most people say one thing then the probability that this is true is far greater. The diagnostic testing often isn’t as relevant as the interpretations of the medical information. Not a great example.
Your multiple medical opinions are all from doctors with experience and diagnostic tools. You are not getting second and third opinion from people standing on the corner of the street dispensing medical advice with no experience, license or qualification. Yet that is what you are doing in audio. Did you bother to ask those youtubers their qualifications?

Jmart

People on YouTube believe in flat earths, aliens, parallel worlds, Santa Claus … the list goes on.

Audio is no meta physics the electronics are fully understood for years by electronic engineers specializing in the topic. You can calculate (simulate) it and you can measure it. No need for beliefs.
Yes, but if you take the majority of content, reason plays out. There are more people who believe normal terrestrial science than not. That makes the probability greater that the former is true. All that’s left is the reader to review the data themselves.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don’t call listening and reading multiple opinions putting a head in the sand….
You are dismissing my extensive diagnostics for which the designer had no answer. These are firm and factual data points which you are choosing to ignore based on made up excuses. It doesn't get worse than this.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, but if you take the majority of content, reason plays out. There are more people who believe normal terrestrial science than not. That makes the probability greater that the former is true. All that’s left is the reader to review the data themselves.
You have no plurality of "data." You have data from me. The rest are joe random youtuber who woke up one day and called himself a reviewer. They have not read one iota of audio research. Have no experience performing proper audio tests. And have severe conflict of interest being at the mercy of manufacturers to send them gear. Go ahead and see how many negative reviews they publish. You won't find any whereas I give thumbs down to 2/3 of what I review.

Really, if you want to stay confused, by all means do so. But don't waste our time with these talking points. Many wrong opinions are still wrong.

Jmart

I know the difference between hearing and perceiving. Former is made up of sound waves. Latter is composed of sound, your brain, imagination, bias, etc. The only valid test is one where only sound is involved. None of the youtubers you are going by relied on sound alone. Until they do, their opinion is just fantasy. I too "hear" all kinds of effects that are not real and vanish when testing is performed blind.

You have been here a couple of years yet still ask questions like this?
I’m not sure what the duration of my activity on the forum has anything to do with it. If I don’t find an argument convincing, no amount of time will change said opinion.

I consider many YouTube reviewers pretty decent at their job, which is subjective listening. I don’t expect the majority of them to know how to measure equipment. They have often heard far more equipment at far higher prices ranges than I have. It’s an excellent source of information.

A review from a seasoned reviewer is as valued in this context as multiple medical opinions from different physicians. You’re acting like learning how to objectively listen to music requires some sort of degree….

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I consider many YouTube reviewers pretty decent at their job, which is subjective listening.
On what basis? How do you know they are right? Audio science says that any test of products like this demands controlled testing. How many of these tests did you read about CHORD?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They have often heard far more equipment at far higher prices ranges than I have. It’s an excellent source of information.
It is nonsense. I have heard huge number of high-end systems. I have friends with such and have been to thousand plus rooms at audio shows. None of that amounts to anything when it comes to subjective differences in gear that should not make such. The only valid evaluations are a) measurements or b) controlled blind testing where only sound matters. If you are resorting to something else, you are subscribing to junk audio science. Which again, is fine but don't raise the noise floor here with those arguments. We have heard them. We even experience the same faulty evaluations. Move along and let more informed discussion occur.

Top Bottom