• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 358 88.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 6.9%

• Total voters

DonR

Major Contributor
I'd highly recommend Qobuz instead of Tidal. Tidal is infecting all their files with MQA, even ones they claim to be "lossless". There's a great video on Youtube where someone did a ton of measurements on it.
That is one of my issues with cloud streaming. The provenance of the content can often be questionable and change on a whim. The longevity of the platform can also be an issue.

keatonhj

I just want to put this out there. I'm not an audio flog with fancy acronyms and technical knowledge of how sine waves work and all the different elements that go into a DAC.

What I do want to say though is I play a ton of Nintendo Switch games and I watch a lot of Netflix. I listen to s***** quality music because band camp only outputs compressed stuff.

I had a Qutest DAC and wanted to just tell everyone, the m-scaler is worth it in my setup. It has a passthrough button so I can turn it from max up-scalling to zero upscaling and the conclusions after 6 months of use are, it makes games sound better, low quality music sound better, podcasts, you name it, it upscales it into something that sounds like it was an original master file.

What I see here in this really long thread is a bunch of audio file nerds throwing master music files at this thing, thinking that they're going to make them sound better. The hint is in the name. It's an upscaler.

Peace.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I just want to put this out there. I'm not an audio flog with fancy acronyms and technical knowledge of how sine waves work and all the different elements that go into a DAC.

What I do want to say though is I play a ton of Nintendo Switch games and I watch a lot of Netflix. I listen to s***** quality music because band camp only outputs compressed stuff.

I had a Qutest DAC and wanted to just tell everyone, the m-scaler is worth it in my setup. It has a passthrough button so I can turn it from max up-scalling to zero upscaling and the conclusions after 6 months of use are, it makes games sound better, low quality music sound better, podcasts, you name it, it upscales it into something that sounds like it was an original master file.

What I see here in this really long thread is a bunch of audio file nerds throwing master music files at this thing, thinking that they're going to make them sound better. The hint is in the name. It's an upscaler.

Peace.

You could just do all that upscaling for much less money with better results in software and add EQ to it.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What I see here in this really long thread is a bunch of audio file nerds throwing master music files at this thing, thinking that they're going to make them sound better.
He is gaming with an expensive DAC but the rest of us are the nerds.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

What I do want to say though is I play a ton of Nintendo Switch games and I watch a lot of Netflix.

How did you stumble across this place?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I listen to s***** quality music because band camp only outputs compressed stuff.
I have bought a ton of albums from bandcamp at CD quality. Some of the albums are in my reference list of tracks. So not sure where you get that and what it has to do with Nintendo Switch.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Upscaling is a mathematical computation with zero insight into what it is doing. It is simply creating more samples with the same information that was fed to it. If you think enlarging a picture makes it more detailed, then heaven help you. :)

shoto

if anything is heard it must be the high jitter on digital output that you hear in the dac.

Also many dac chip measure worse at higher sample rates, another reason it possible upsampling can make change to the sound (with more distortion).

Guettel

Peace.
Yeah, I have the same experience. The most remarkable thing was how the upscaled good DAC made even Youtube sound great. That was a great surprise I wasn't expecting since there's a ton of stuff on Youtube that you can't find on Qobuz like a lot of amazing Grigory Sokolov recordings.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I have the same experience. The most remarkable thing was how the upscaled good DAC made even Youtube sound great. That was a great surprise I wasn't expecting since there's a ton of stuff on Youtube that you can't find on Qobuz like a lot of amazing Grigory Sokolov recordings.
These claims show exactly how little knowledge people have of the technical workings, and how much faith they have in the marketing story. Uncanny!

Guettel

These claims show exactly how little knowledge people have of the technical workings, and how much faith they have in the marketing story. Uncanny!
Very true. I could mostly care less about the technical workings. I'm more interested in whether I get a good experience.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very true. I could mostly care less about the technical workings. I'm more interested in whether I get a good experience.
I've heard this before.
Time frame : early 1990's
Place : PT's Show club
Device under discussion: Vibrator called "The Beaver"

I was taking a survey

Guettel

With the M-Scaler, it's expensive placebo.
It definitely IS expensive for most people. It's only a placebo for people who can't hear what it does or think what it does doesn't justify the cost compared to their own financial means.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom