• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Hugo TT2

rickler

Hi folks- has the the Chord Hugo TT2 been reviewed? Would love to know how both the DAC, and amplifier sections measure.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
No review.

Send one in to be tested.

Noob

If it performs as well as the Qutest, that would be nice to see.

RustyGates

The only other review I've seen measure the Hugo TT2:

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Hugo-TT-2-Review-HiFI-World.pdf

Capture.JPG

RustyGates

Yea but it lacks warmth and the DSD is dry , real deal breakers for me..

So many taps but still dry ... How on earth?

Do NOT get confused between "warmth" and quality sound. Lacking warmth is another way of saying the output signal is not distorted enough for me. You want a "warm" DAC, there is a Schiit Gungnir Multibit (we probably know how that would measure), and even the highest regarded top end "warm" DACs like the Ayre QX5-twenty don't exactly have class leading performance measures (https://www.stereophile.com/content/ayre-acoustics-qx-5-twenty-da-processor-measurements). You want warmth? Get a good DAC with clean measures and push the output signal through a tube amp.

I have heard a TT 2 with my HD650's and Focal Utopias; I can say it is was one of the best sonic experiences I've had. Fantastic bass reproduction, very clean sound and coupled with an awesome integrated amp it was rocking my Utopia's Beryllium drivers to it's limits very well, and will probably pick one up soon.

As for DSD reproduction, DSD code is handled very differently to PCM within the FPGA, and tbh Chord has probably done a less than optimal job of it. Anyway, I don't give a rats *** about DSD; its the nobody format in the industry. Not a single track I like can be bought as DSD. You want a good DSD DAC? Go with a PS Audio.

Anyway, I suggest you read the full review and have a listen for yourself if you get the chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: nav

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do NOT get confused between "warmth" and quality sound. Lacking warmth is another way of saying the output signal is not distorted enough for me. You want a "warm" DAC, there is a Schiit Gungnir Multibit (we probably know how that would measure), and even the highest regarded top end "warm" DACs like the Ayre QX5-twenty don't exactly have class leading performance measures (https://www.stereophile.com/content/ayre-acoustics-qx-5-twenty-da-processor-measurements). You want warmth? Get a good DAC with clean measures and push the output signal through a tube amp.

I have heard a TT 2 with my HD650's and Focal Utopias; I can say it is was one of the best sonic experiences I've had. Fantastic bass reproduction, very clean sound and coupled with an awesome integrated amp it was rocking my Utopia's Beryllium drivers to it's limits very well, and will probably pick one up soon.

As for DSD reproduction, DSD code is handled very differently to PCM within the FPGA, and tbh Chord has probably done a less than optimal job of it. Anyway, I don't give a rats *** about DSD; its the nobody format in the industry. Not a single track I like can be bought as DSD. You want a good DSD DAC? Go with a PS Audio.

Anyway, I suggest you read the full review and have a listen for yourself if you get the chance.
 :facepalm::p:D

What @Veri said!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not my taste , and I think not enough power to run hd800s

What did you end up using instead? The TT2 puts out nearly 300 mw into the 300 ohm 800s single ended. Over a watt in balanced.

Dealux

Does the TT2 have balanced HP outputs? It doesn't seem to yet they mention a power increase in balanced mode at 300 ohms. WTF?

Top Bottom