• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Hugo M Scaler - Stereophile Review (measurements also)

spooky

It can't... That's really the point.
Wasn't the statement about a 'huge difference' used simply to make a point? I've certainly not described differences as huge. I'm not sure why a huge difference would be expected from something that is clearly in the diminishing returns territory. It seems a bit of a strawman argument to make.

spooky

The problem is, you have a three fold denial. The first being a denial that we can't pick this up with measurements.
I don't think your double negative expressed what you intended. :p

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Wasn't the statement about a 'huge difference' used simply to make a point? I've certainly not described differences as huge. I'm not sure why a huge difference would be expected from something that is clearly in the diminishing returns territory. It seems a bit of a strawman argument to make.

Corrected.

Now, let's see if you can add to the rest of the forum. Done with the circles.

Last edited:

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sums up my experience as well, I was considering sending mine in for a test but after reading a few pages on this thread not sure what the point would be. Minds are made up to almost cult level...
The point would be to have real hard data. If the tests show the Scaler makes something different, we will believe just fine.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sums up my experience as well, I was considering sending mine in for a test but after reading a few pages on this thread not sure what the point would be. Minds are made up to almost cult level...

Never been in a cult. What's the perks? Free jello?

Reactions: GDK

Veri

Master Contributor
Sums up my experience as well, I was considering sending mine in for a test but after reading a few pages on this thread not sure what the point would be...
It certainly would be interesting. But I'm fairly sure Amir would have a conclusion the likes of 'not sure what the point of this device is'

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm actually surprised to hear this, Frank! Given your professional background, would have thought you'd at least have splashed a bit of money on a car at some point :) Not as worthwhile an investment as audio to you over the years?
Sad to relate it is more to do with how much I spent on my stereo than how little I spent on my car, mind you I use my stereo for far more hours than any car and, once happy with it (in the mid 1990s) have changed only to one major item, though that obsoleted 3 others, my old DAC, pre and monoblocs are now in storage.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Sad to relate it is more to do with how much I spent on my stereo than how little I spent on my car, mind you I use my stereo for far more hours than any car and, once happy with it (in the mid 1990s) have changed only to one major item, though that obsoleted 3 others, my old DAC, pre and monoblocs are now in storage.

Did someone give you your Ferrari Frank?

bennetng

Major Contributor
Sums up my experience as well, I was considering sending mine in for a test but after reading a few pages on this thread not sure what the point would be...
Highly interested. Would like to see some M-Scaler + Chord DAC measurements in addition to the ones on Stereophile.

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
I don't think your double negative expressed what you intended. :p
Its my grammar and punctuatuon. A damn misery trying to get any of this out on mobile without proof reading.

Highly interested. Would like to see some M-Scaler + Chord DAC measurements in addition to the ones on Stereophile.

I take you to be a pretty smart guy. Maybe you could help me. By what mechanism would something like resampling impart an audible improvement to some of the claims as stated by some proponents of this device? I can't even imagine in theory, let alone technically.

bennetng

Major Contributor
I take you to be a pretty smart guy. Maybe you could help me. By what mechanism would something like resampling impart an audible improvement to some of the claims as stated by some proponents of this device? I can't even imagine in theory, let alone technically.
Thanks for you compliment. To be honest, your question gave me trouble because I skipped most of the uninteresting posts from some uninteresting members, so I have to read them now to see what they were talking about. For this kind of excessive upsampling, if there is an audible effect, it could be higher latency (for interactive use) or more susceptible to clipping if is there is not enough headroom. I am interested to see it measured because the results published on Stereophile are poorer than what I expected, as mentioned here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...le-review-measurements-also.11868/post-398661

mansr

Major Contributor
The M-scaler being a digital device there is scarcely anything that can be measured. The impulse response is readily captured, and that's that. A few sanity checks (level changes, clipping, dither characteristics) might be prudent, but I wouldn't expect to find anything too horrifying. After all, Chord products tend to be over-engineered to the point of absurdity.

Resampling ahead of the DAC can potentially be beneficial if the in-DAC processing is poor, especially at 44/48 kHz. Otherwise it is quite pointless. Again, I'd expect a Chord DAC to perform perfectly well without the need for such crutches.

bennetng

Major Contributor
The M-scaler being a digital device there is scarcely anything that can be measured. The impulse response is readily captured, and that's that. A few sanity checks (level changes, clipping, dither characteristics) might be prudent, but I wouldn't expect to find anything too horrifying. After all, Chord products tend to be over-engineered to the point of absurdity.
Sure, I don't expect it can have any severe issue but for example this one:
index.php

Something like sox rate -v is already better than this, right? Not an audible concern but why? Chord specs say it uses Xilinx XC7A200T, did a quick search on the Xilinx website I found this:
xilinx.png

...Then I found an XC7A25T on a new RME HDSPe AIO Pro
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-pro-multi-format-pci-express-audio-interface
So looks like much slower but this card can run TotalMix FX with tons of channels.

Also Apollo X16:
index.php

So XC7A200T should be pretty high-end right? I don't understand why artifacts at -140dB, again not about audibility, but why.

mansr

Major Contributor
Sure, I don't expect it can have any severe issue but for example this one:
index.php
Wow, how come that doesn't make Mr Watts' ears bleed? Those spikes are (at least) 160 dB above his hearing threshold.

Something like sox rate -v is already better than this, right?
Considerably.

Top Bottom