• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Hugo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 77 25.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 111 37.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 87 29.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 8.3%

• Total voters

Here2Learn

The QBD weighs 7kg and is mains powered so It's not portable but I see you deliberately took my quote out of context to make it look like I was talking about the Hugo. Bravo.
Ah, thought you were talking about the Hugo 2. Agreed on the QBD.

Trell

Major Contributor
The QBD weighs 7kg and is mains powered so It's not portable but I see you deliberately took my quote out of context to make it look like I was talking about the Hugo. Bravo.

You obviously have not seen the size of my heroic biceps!

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

Here2Learn

Woah there..

Deliberate? A bit accusatory. You said, literally
A robust case on a portable like the Hugo is very welcome but simply a waste on a home device. I understand, however, the psychological impact doing this will make on the buyer.
You did not say QBD, even if you meant to. ^It says "Hugo" not "QBD". If it said "QBD" I would have understood the first time. The fault here is not mine.

testp

Thanks for the very insightful review Amir. I use to be be an admirer of Chord products some years ago. But in the last few years, I don't see much innovation from them but their prices are still way up there. Furthermore, now seen how they actually measure through Amir's excellent work, they've lost even more respect from me. Frankly, at $3K in this market segment, they need to put out a product that's beyond reproach.
yeah, they should put gold in there, at least you know it would be worth that much someday, maybe..

DonR

Major Contributor
Woah there..

Deliberate? A bit accusatory. You said, literally

You did not say QBD, even if you meant to. ^It says "Hugo" not "QBD". If it said "QBD" I would have understood the first time. The fault here is not mine.
Why selectively edit my post then? I do admit I could have been more clear about the Hugo but then the video you posted was about the QBD so not relevant to this thread.

Here2Learn

Why selectively edit my post then? I do admit I could have been more clear about the Hugo but then the video you posted was about the QBD so not relevant to this thread.
I have not done any such thing. (Another accusation). It's simple, the subject of your sentence literally said "Hugo", so I understood it in that context. If you mean something like "QBD" that is not the subject of a sentence, don't expect it to magically be inferred. You can argue on your own from here - you are certainly worthy of going on a block list.

FWIW: My post was to clarify my statement of "I believe Chord have always prided themselves on build quality". So it was to show that Chord products are normally robust - which is not the inference people have from the comments on build quality. As somebody who has owned Chord equipment, I know their units are built like a tank, even if fit and finish are not perfect. It's perfectly acceptable for the 'build quality' discussion.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I do! ;)

Yes, so Yanks are greedy! What else is new?
Did you know that the £450 price tag includes sales tax of %20 ? in reality, it is £375 + tax, includes free next day delivery!
Name Rob Watts and Chord what you may, they are in a league of their own.
£450? I see £495 at most places.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Rob is definitely an expert in his fields and him and his company actually do make competent products (especially when we count within audible threshold).

It's just that he KNOWS he can use his influence and expertise to maximize his profits. The proof lies in his storytelling, his public speeches, his marketing and his seemingly "sheer passion for sound". The result is that now we all can't be sure whether he is lying completely or he actually fully believes in his practices. He mixes legit knowledge together with audiophile mumbo jumbo so well the average audio enthusiast is probably going to idolize him to one extent or another.

Take a look at the Schiit thread on Headfi. We do know that throughout the years Schiit made some nice products, some average and even some were faulty. But his storytelling is engaging (at least to me and his audience) and that surely gained him influence over his customers.

Trell

Major Contributor
Rob is definitely an expert in his fields and him and his company actually do make competent products (especially when we count within audible threshold).

It's just that he KNOWS he can use his influence and expertise to maximize his profits. The proof lies in his storytelling, his public speeches, his marketing and his seemingly "sheer passion for sound". The result is that now we all can't be sure whether he is lying completely or he actually fully believes in his practices. He mixes legit knowledge together with audiophile mumbo jumbo so well the average audio enthusiast is probably going to idolize him to one extent or another.

Take a look at the Schiit thread on Headfi. We do know that throughout the years Schiit made some nice products, some average and even some were faulty. But his storytelling is engaging (at least to me and his audience) and that surely gained him influence over his customers.

So, you are saying he is a lying scumbag just like so much (most?) of the high-end audio?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
£450? I see £495 at most places.

£400 for an open box mojo 2 at Peter Tyson, that’s what prompted me to buy a mojo 2 & poly for £800, I prob couldn’t tell the difference between the mojo2 and an apple dongle but I do like the mojo 2 light show :facepalm:

fricc

For what it is, it is really expensive, I wouldn't pay more than $250 for that...

Trell

Major Contributor
Well I do, when I see one and can be bothered.

Ugh, just reading the Head-fi Terms of Service shows that the site is not for me, so I'm not a member of course. The site is actually making people more stupid.

In section Posting Etiquette:

5. If what you want to post includes words/phrases like "placebo," "expectation bias," "ABX," "blind testing," etc., please post it in the Sound Science forum.

In section Moderation:

6. Discussion of blind testing is only allowed in the Sound Science forum.

nyxnyxnyx

So, you are saying he is a lying scumbag just like so much (most?) of the high-end audio?
Maybe, maybe not? I'm saying it's reasonable to think in one way or the other. We can't truly prove whether he's a delusional designer, a pathological liar, or even a sound designer catching glimpses of something new (although I bet it's not this case).

And I think it's not cool to call people names like that. I think it is pretty uncalled and on a bigger picture remarks like this can strengthen the impression that this site is hostile, toxic and unnecessarily rough toward the other camps.

the_brunx

Ugh, just reading the Head-fi Terms of Service shows that the site is not for me, so I'm not a member of course. The site is actually making people more stupid.

5. If what you want to post includes words/phrases like "placebo," "expectation bias," "ABX," "blind testing," etc., please post it in the Sound Science forum.

In section Moderation:

Headfi will always protect the interest of their sponsors and potential sponsors above consumers.

Trell

Major Contributor
Maybe, maybe not? I'm saying it's reasonable to think in one way or the other. We can't truly prove whether he's a delusional designer, a pathological liar, or even a sound designer catching glimpses of something new (although I bet it's not this case).

And I think it's not cool to call people names like that. I think it is pretty uncalled and on a bigger picture remarks like this can strengthen the impression that this site is hostile, toxic and unnecessarily rough toward the other camps.

I just a made a short, albeit vulgar, restatement of your (my bold added):

>>>It's just that he KNOWS he can use his influence and expertise to maximize his profits. The proof lies in his storytelling, his public speeches, his marketing and his seemingly "sheer passion for sound". The result is that now we all can't be sure whether he is lying completely or he actually fully believes in his practices. He mixes legit knowledge together with audiophile mumbo jumbo so well the average audio enthusiast is probably going to idolize him to one extent or another.<<<

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

In section Moderation:

There's a similar thing at Audiophile Style (was Computer Audiophile). They put objective discussion into its own gulag <https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/forum/130-objective-fi/>.

People don't like it when their beliefs in magic are questioned, especially when they have spent 1,000s on the basis of those beliefs.

nyxnyxnyx

I just a made a short, albeit vulgar, restatement of your (my bold added):

>>>It's just that he KNOWS he can use his influence and expertise to maximize his profits. The proof lies in his storytelling, his public speeches, his marketing and his seemingly "sheer passion for sound". The result is that now we all can't be sure whether he is lying completely or he actually fully believes in his practices. He mixes legit knowledge together with audiophile mumbo jumbo so well the average audio enthusiast is probably going to idolize him to one extent or another.<<<
I see, I understand your point. I shall say what I think in each possibility:
If he's lying to earn more profits, fame and so on then yes he's really bad and even his fans will turn on him and express their hurtful feelings in vulgar, hostile manners.
If he's fully immersed in his own theories and practices then I can't say the same, if he fully believes what he does then I can't really call it scamming or cheating. If you say that he's still doing harms by spreading and cementing false information then yeah maybe I can agree with you.

The problem is we don't know for sure which one he is, and then even if someone does he will have a hard time to prove it as this is not something that can comes with hard evidence(s).

Last edited:
Top Bottom