• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Huei Phono Preamp Review

TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Forum Donor
I still would love to get my hands on one of their higher end DACs, but the orb thing turned me off of this particular product. Got a Pathos In The Groove instead when cross shopping. No idea if it measures well or better even, but dials are better than orbs, at least.

deniall83

This is incredible. Being a vinyl geek, I had my eye on this product. I'm shocked at how bad it is but relieved that I didn't buy one. Thanks for the detailed review.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Me, sees headless panther: Uh-oh...
Me, reading the actual review: Yep, about as expected.

My only wish is that, now with ASR ripping equipment apart on the test bench, manufacturers would properly design and engineer any future products.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Pics of the LED color coding stuff.
huei_top__large_full.jpg

image5.jpeg

lW7PBkMyd6XPMdmxrjQemuw1knO4n4Ap19WmrcCx8rIDQ1y-s403_NTD2E88mcYbKvkCjBxWExFGk6ZSVC8o2Cw2j9Det3mnTwBPOin8Xmkh3KMhyHAZB6W69bIKMHcifMEyiPmeGUZ6czTbFrSrtHDRqNfixm_N7beyWGH6kA
This thing must be designed for people on LSD, by people on LSD.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Me, sees headless panther: Uh-oh...
Me, reading the actual review: Yep, about as expected.

My only wish is that, now with ASR ripping equipment apart on the test bench, manufacturers would properly design and engineer any future products.
The world is shrinking everyday and "stuff" is more and more difficult to get away with.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
The world is shrinking everyday and "stuff" is more and more difficult to get away with.
I hope so! And I think we need a few more ASRs (or objective and hard science-based reviewers) to really attack snake oil from all sides.

TCD333

He used a-weighting filtering which gets rid of the low frequency noise:

View attachment 92149
Amirm, WRT your distortion & noise measurements, what is the impedance of drive signal used (both CM and Diff)? This will have a significant impact on results, obviously depending on IP topology.
TCD

deniall83

I tried the Cambridge but there was something I didnt like about it. I dont mind this Chord phono honestly. Since modifying my P6 and using the grounding plate, it has gone from audible hiss to virtually no noise other than what is expected of MC.

May I ask your thoughts on the P6? I'm considering one of those as I can get a good deal but not sure if I should just get a Technics instead.

DubbyMcDubs

May I ask your thoughts on the P6? I'm considering one of those as I can get a good deal but not sure if I should just get a Technics instead.

If I was doing this all again, I would get one of the new Technics. Much nicer unit and I think it sounds better with a decent cartridge. I had to modify the grounding on my P6 to get rid of noise, including running a ground wire to the power supply/controller box.

Last edited:

deniall83

If I was doing this all again, I would get one of the new Technics. Much nicer unit and I think it sounds better with a decent cartridge. I had to modify the grounding on my P6 to get rid of noise, including running a ground wire to the power supply/controller box.

Appreciate the reply. I’ll probably stick with the Technics then.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amirm, WRT your distortion & noise measurements, what is the impedance of drive signal used (both CM and Diff)? This will have a significant impact on results, obviously depending on IP topology.
TCD
20 and 40 ohm respectively from what I recall.

win

I for one think it looks incredibly cool. Yes, the color coding is not for everyone. True. But they went out on a limb with their design language, and IMO that takes a lot of guts. People choose with their eyes, not with their ears.

Also, their other products are extremely well measuring (albeit expensive), and they have the technical expertise to create their own FPGA designs that compete with industry titans like AKM and ESS. So it's not like they shouldn't be able to put together a functional product. Maybe this is just defective? I look forward to Chord responding!

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I feel sorry for those who are colour blind deficient and are trying to use that UI. Just saying...

Tom

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
People choose with their eyes, not with their ears.
They do and I would run, run very fast away from such a design. It lacks elegance and looks like children toys.

threni

Major Contributor
When I saw the SINAD chart I wondered if they'd sent you one of their new range of guitar distortion pedals by mistake.

win

that's not it

Top Bottom