• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord GroundARAY Review (Noise Filter?)

Rate this audio product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 274 96.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters

bquimby

The jacks usually have the transformers built in.

That's always been my understanding too. And why would a port manufacturer not provide the isolation mandated by the IEEE 802.3 standard? There'd be no utility in omitting such a standard-compliant element from something that's pretty much commoditised now, because no-one would buy your product.

Regardless, there would be multiple layers of isolation between the Chord widget and the end device that receives the data. And there's literally no way that the data itself could be affected by "noise". It seems some people have much more money than sense...

flatdog

having read the reviews of the Chord Ground array - i joined the forum specifically to comment on the Ground Array

i have recently had a fairly high end AV system installed - Perlisten S speakers/Trinnov/Lyngdorf/Primare CD etc

my AV installer (a friend) asked if i was willing to try a blind test with the Chord Ground Array - yes, of course

a third party was involved to ensure nothing was 'fixed' eg changing amps settings etc

after one Ground Array - nothing

after two Ground Arrays - nothing

after three Ground Arrays - i could not believe something literally out of nothing - massive sudden improvement in audio quality

in the end i have five Ground Arrays on my system and unequivocally recommend them

to those who says its Snake Oil - have you ever used/listened to them?

of course not - you like the echo of your own voice!

and Chord is a highly respected UK company - in no way would they sell a 'false' product

because your Amir the original reviewer says one thing does not mean he is correct!

opinions are like bum holes - everybody has one

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
o those who says its Snake Oil - have you ever used/listened to them?
I didn't call it snake oil. Don't like that term. But yes, I have listened to them and performed a null test against it not being in the system. It made no difference whatsoever. As should be the case.

This should be a learning experience for you that totally ineffective device made you think your sound changed so much. I suggest you perform 10 blind tests and see if you get 9 out of 10 times right whether the unit (s) are plugged into the system or not. If you can pass that, record a video of it and post it. You will be famous as the first person ever to tell these products do anything. Until then, you made the simple mistake of thinking getting one instance of this "right" in blind test is sufficient. It is not. I can tell heads or tails a number of times in a coin toss. Doesn't mean I can predict the future.

Of course, you could resort to one's head in the sand and ignore the above suggestion in which case, I say don't waste our time with your comments. We have heard plenty of such testimonials.

flatdog

I didn't call it snake oil. Don't like that term. But yes, I have listened to them and performed a null test against it not being in the system. It made no difference whatsoever. As should be the case.

This should be a learning experience for you that totally ineffective device made you think your sound changed so much. I suggest you perform 10 blind tests and see if you get 9 out of 10 times right whether the unit (s) are plugged into the system or not. If you can pass that, record a video of it and post it. You will be famous as the first person ever to tell these products do anything. Until then, you made the simple mistake of thinking getting one instance of this "right" in blind test is sufficient. It is not. I can tell heads or tails a number of times in a coin toss. Doesn't mean I can predict the future.

Of course, you could resort to one's head in the sand and ignore the above suggestion in which case, I say don't waste our time with your comments. We have heard plenty of such testimonials.
your arrogance knows no limits

you think you are the be all and end all

so be it

please delete my forum membership

Jimster480

Major Contributor

so be it

So instead of Performing testing as suggested in order to prove that there is actually an audible difference in sound quality you would like your account deleted? I guess it can't make that much of a difference after all... I hope they were $5 each.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

What? You asked if anyone had listened, I said yes. And didn't hear what you claimed. So you were wrong on that. Your other claim was hearing massive difference with three units and I explained what audio science says. Not what I say. Educate yourself before jumping in and claiming stuff that shows lack of any awareness of how your perception works.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
having read the reviews of the Chord Ground array - i joined the forum specifically to comment on the Ground Array

i have recently had a fairly high end AV system installed - Perlisten S speakers/Trinnov/Lyngdorf/Primare CD etc

my AV installer (a friend) asked if i was willing to try a blind test with the Chord Ground Array - yes, of course

a third party was involved to ensure nothing was 'fixed' eg changing amps settings etc

after three Ground Arrays - i could not believe something literally out of nothing - massive sudden improvement in audio quality

in the end i have five Ground Arrays on my system and unequivocally recommend them

and Chord is a highly respected UK company - in no way would they sell a 'false' product

because your Amir the original reviewer says one thing does not mean he is correct!

You may wish to reflect on whether you truly believe what you seem to be saying you believe.i.e that an opinion based entirely on your own individual subjective perception is at least equivalent in standing to the accumulated knowledge of several fields of scientific endeavour, including electrical engineering, cognitive neuroscience and audiological science. You may also wish to reflect on the fact that the same body of knowlege provides a falsifiable but hitherto unfalsified explanation as to why you are impervious to such evidence, and even predicts the process that will occur within your own brain when that evidence is presented to you. If you do buck the trend and actually take this seriously for a moment, the absolute folly of your no doubt sincere belief that Amir's position on this subject is driven by narcissism will come crashing home to you, and I dare say that you will feel abit silly.

OldManMatt

so be it

I don't feel his response to your post was arrogant...all though you seemed a little hostile for no reason really. Amir tested the product, showed how and what he tested for, and printed the results. You disagree with him, which is your right..but if you want to prove to others that there is a difference and it means that much to you then you could take the time to video yourself in a proper blind test showing how wrong everyone is. I think it's a fair chance to prove your point.
You should be a little more understanding to why the majority of people feel the product is a waste of money, it showed no evidence of improvement to the signal. The products premise is a little hookey to begin with..red flags should be popping up..and this is why products like this should be tested. This is a good site to learn a few things from..things that other forums don't talk about or discuss. If you are open to it you should stick around.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't feel his response to your post was arrogant...all though you seemed a little hostile for no reason really.
If my friend just fleeced me out for almost $4000 (I hope he got a discount), I’d be mad as well. I would just act it out on him, not om Amir.

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor
If my friend just fleeced me out for almost $4000 (I hope he got a discount), I’d be mad as well. I would just act it out on him, not om Amir.
From just two posts on this forum, I’m really not surprised that they have friends like that. The language, the sentiment and most of all, the grammar! I really didn’t need that first thing on a Sunday morning.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I was reminded of Goldilocks and the three bears, first two didn’t do anything for her but the third…
Keith

antcollinet

Master Contributor

so be it

Impressive - from rant to flounce in two posts. It normally lasts a little longer.

Keith Conroy

Sir, I respect the effort you put in to go through testing & then joining this site to post. You already have time invested to do detective work on sonic quality. I will say this. True double blind testing is a somewhat complex science. It was developed by numerous engineers and involved years of work. Review the compiled amounts of internet information on the science of double blind testing. Start with Harman & double blind testing. Then compare how well it matches what you did for your testing? In the end you can still be the judge!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Did you try with more? I've heard the next REAL upgrade comes with 27 of them. You'll never know what you're missing if you don't try it. What do you have to lose after all? I'll bet your dealer would even give you a volume discount reserved solely for the truly committed audiophile.

TrevC

So what does it do exactly?

Top Bottom