• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord GroundARAY Review (Noise Filter?)

Rate this audio product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 274 96.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters

Katji

Major Contributor
View attachment 222559

KzaP.gif

JSmith

Same person does it every time. It amuses him. In some instances it's almost obvious.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I'm no engineer, but according to the logic I wonder: why shall I spend 800$/€ for a device that doesn't improve the same thing done by a 300$/€ DAC?
Whether you put it before, after, above, below it doesn't provide any measurable improvement to the final output.
If there's no better output that's a well deserved picking panther

If ten people say they hear improvements, opposite to the objective data measuring none, the real scientist will investigate what brings such a flaw to human aural preception, and the process so as ear/brain correct and cheats itself.
Saying they hear something is one thing.
Being able to reliably prove they can hear or identify it is quite another.

I can say I saw Bigfoot, but saying it hold next to no validity.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
If ten different people say there are, they hear, differences, as a scientist, you'd ask why is that!?!?
Even if one out of hundred says he experienced a difference it shouldn't be neglected. That's what science is all about.
Otherwise we'd still living in caves.
True, and that's why scientists already asked themselves such questions. They figured out why people hear differences when dealing with audio even when there aren't any and now they know they have to put in strict controls when you ask people to evaluate something.

Tks

Major Contributor
Just don't get how this isn't straight forward false advertising, or fraudulent entirely. Says it reduces noise, yet there is no noise reduction... Noise can be measured so there is ZERO way out of this as a subjectivist.

DonR

Major Contributor
Definitely never going to name a company anything with the word CHORD in it...
Well this is the thing, they are probably trading off of the goodwill, such as it is, of Chord Electronics. I would have lawyers on them straight away.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I am actually pretty serious about that.

Amir and this site implies a "scientific" approach. It's not. What's being offered are basic measurements.
Empirical evidence gets neglected. As well as e.g. Audio Precision statements about its equipment limitations.
And as mentioned, there are procedural flaws.

Since years Amir generates measurements of audio devices, DACs in particular, showing flaws beyond
audible thresholds. If you'd follow Amirs (and his followers) logic: "all DuTs therefore sound the same",
it would basically imply there'd be no reason for having this forum at all anymore.

Yet. That's simply not the case. The devices do not sound the same. People keep buying new stuff.

All I am saying. You better be careful not to drift into an ideological direction.

If ten different people say there are, they hear, differences, as a scientist, you'd ask why is that!?!?
Even if one out of hundred says he experienced a difference it shouldn't be neglected. That's what science is all about.
Otherwise we'd still living in caves.

And you bet. Amir is well aware of it!

Enjoy.
Sighted bias. There is science to show why this happens, because audio memory is poor and sighted bias is high. This is why most people couldn't tell devices apart in any blind A/B situations.... With very few guessing right at any time...
The science conducted here is repeatable with repeatable results. That is how it is supposed to work.
When 5 people say they hear a difference
Would the parts cost even reach $1?
Probably wouldn't.
Nothing. We know this because we have some understanding about how digital audio /network works.

The DAC was not influenced by the "noise" from the network or there was no "noise" or the test was not Abel to resolve it.
So if the claim is it "filters noise" this was not tested.
But we still know it’s not.
Yea it is hard to even check on "network noise" I mean it is a whole different industry but this product is being sold in the audio industry.
If snake-oil works, is it still snake-oil ?
That is a question! :confused:

View attachment 222547
It is because so many peoples problems are all in their head. Many people have high blood pressure from worrying too much, then they find out they have high blood pressure and worry about having high blood pressure. So then they take something and they stop worrying about it because now it is taken care of and as such the problem is indeed taken care of simply because they aren't worrying.
However this doesn't mean that the sugar pill actually lowers their blood pressure, their nerves are.

sofrep811

You don't really have a clue, do you?
Please enlighten me since your seem to be the MENSA in the room. I have no idea who you are but you seem to know me well as to make such a solid judgement on myself.

Last edited:

CapMan

Major Contributor
The Chord Company is NOT Chord Electronics in any shape or form. The Chord Company started out making interconnects for Naim amplifiers back in the early 80's which were all DIN socketed. The range expanded into the lower reaches of the foo-end of the market and they've got into these potentially lucrative products too.
Their cables (speaker and interconnect) seem to be carried by many dealers here in the UK.

There marketing blurb on the Chord Epic speaker cable says they are particularly suitable for floorstanders - enough said I think.

“It’s particularly good at bringing control and definition across the bass frequencies and is the ideal cable solution for floor-standing speakers.”

KSTR

Major Contributor
I would think internally these "filters" are crude shunt dissipators, trying to convert RF present on the signal pins (vs ground and/or shell pins) of the specific connector to heat.
That behavior could be measured with an RF network analyzer and I would expect to see some effect.

However, it would take an extraordinarily bad audio device design that this could make any difference for the actual audio output, but it is not entirely impossible.

I would file these gimmick products under "highlights of unregulated capitalism" ;-)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would think internally these "filters" are crude shunt dissipators, trying to convert RF present on the signal pins (vs ground and/or shell pins) of the specific connector to heat.
They are not though. They are a single wire going into some material. No circuit is completed. This is why they call them "grounding" devices. They only connect to ground even though the connector has both signal connections (for mechanical compatibility).

DSJR

Major Contributor
Their cables (speaker and interconnect) seem to be carried by many dealers here in the UK.

There marketing blurb on the Chord Epic speaker cable says they are particularly suitable for floorstanders - enough said I think.

“It’s particularly good at bringing control and definition across the bass frequencies and is the ideal cable solution for floor-standing speakers.”
Speaker cables came later and I sold plenty of it at the time. A lesson I learned (re-learned) far too late - forget foo materials, silver plating and PTFE insulation (which I gather is needed not for sound quality, but to make the cabe itself?), it's the GAUGE which is most important really - this latter fact was screaming at me when I used the Linn k10 speaker cable (free with the one-box 'Classik' music system) which is basically a generic good quality fig-8 type (2.5mm?) and which 'sounded' great in a more expensive system when I tried it out 'for a giggle.' Sorry, twenty years away from it as a full time job tends to re-focus on what's important apart from making money.....

KSTR

Major Contributor
They are not though. They are a single wire going into some material. No circuit is completed. This is why they call them "grounding" devices. They only connect to ground even though the connector has both signal connections (for mechanical compatibility).
Did you open one or have other sources that confirm this?

From the pictures I would tend to think that the shell of the filter is directly connected to the shield/GND pin. Certainly for the RCA and BNC variants. It would not make any sense to tap off an additional wire from that exact same potential and embed it in turmaline powder or whatever they might have used.

Top Bottom