• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord GroundARAY Review (Noise Filter?)

Rate this audio product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 275 96.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters

respice finem

Major Contributor
This is a listening test, comparison and measurements of the Chord GroundARAY "noise reduction" device. I think it comes in a pack and costs US $795 for the set. Member kindly sent me the Ethernet one:
View attachment 222398
This is the picture of the full set:

chordco-GA-7-row-with-AEX-award-1080px.jpg

You are supposed to plug in the unit into the unused ports on your gear. And the more, the better.

NOTE: this is from CHORD Company, NOT Chord Electronics which makes the various DACs I have tested.

Chord GroundArray Listening Tests

My standard workstation where I perform my testing is naturally connected to our home network where a lot of the data files come and go during the testing over a TP Link switch. It has 8 ports with a few unused ones so I plugged the GroundArray into one of them. Inserting the device is easy. Getting it out is not because the tab is then hidden enough that you can't push to unlock it. I had to use a screw driver to push the lock in to remove it.

I played my reference tracks using RME ADI-2 Pro as I inserted and then removed the GroundARAY. There was no difference whatsoever to my ears. To avoid the accusation that I don't want to hear a difference, I then performed a null test using member @pkane's DeltaWave program. Here, RME ADI-Pro is capturing its own output for analysis. I made two captures: one with and one without GroundARAY. Here is the spectrum of null (difference) result:

View attachment 222400

And here is the file itself if you want to listen: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkm7zx4lz3zi6xy/Missing Film Chord GroundAray Difference File.wav?dl=0

Even with my sensitive IEMs and pushing the RME headphone output to absolute max, all I hear is silence.

Chord GroundARAY Measurements
I happened to still have the Chord DAVE DAC on hand so I used it for measurements (different companies -- same name). The configuration is the same as listening tests with the TP-Link switch being used to capture and save measurement files (and music I listen to while testing). Here is the CHORD DAVE dashboard measurement as is with output calibrated to 4 volts:
View attachment 222401

Per my DAC review note, one channel is less stable so I had to take care and graph that screen shot while it was on its best behavior. I then plugged in the GroundARAY to TP-Link switch. Here is the difference or lack thereof:
View attachment 222403

Nothing is out of placed or changed a hair for the entire audible band and then some (22.4 kHz bandwidth). SINAD is dominated by noise so if noise had gone down, it would improve but it did not. Let's measure dynamic range directly to assure ourselves of that:
View attachment 222404

Other than tiny run to run variation, there is no difference whatsoever.

For people complaining that we only use a single 1 kHz tone for measurements, here is our 32 tone test running at 192 kHz sampling (so very wide bandwidth):
View attachment 222405

The two sets of measurements land right on top of each other with no difference at all.

We could run a lot more tests but results will be the same.

Conclusions
Even if the Ethernet GroundAray performed some kind of noise filtering, in which case company should so show that, the concept of it making a difference to a DAC output connected to said computer is incredibly far fetched. The PC is already much noisier than the Ethernet link yet we get superb sound out of it because DACs are designed to be immune to such noise. Furthermore, an Ethernet switch has independent ports. Filtering one is not going to do anything to the port next to it.

Audiophiles though with faulty testing methodology put aside all of that and say, "but I heard it." As I always say, I can put dirt in a box with a wire and you connect it to your audio system and you would report improvements. Indeed, such "grounding" devices exist and I have tested one that costs thousands of dollars! In this review, I have done my own listening tests with negative results. And used computer matching to show that there is no difference in the waveform to beyond the accuracy of the original audio files.

There is no way I can recommend the CHORD company GroundAray.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
The good news is, kind of, that adding a piece of cable, a plug and a socket don't degrade the signal that much :)
Buyers should therefore not regret the money spent. Tuition fees tend to be steep...

Lukino

These companies have taught their faithful to completely ignore measurements and the resulting physical laws that apply to everything. Such a state suits them. It allows them to sell anything they can think of while eliminating product control. Just the customer and his ears....a light object. If this condition were to apply to food, then poisoning is certain. Their customers think that if I add something to the system, it will improve the xcene, resolution, etc. However, they are unknowingly poisoning their system. They are hearing more and more better music from expensive equipment whose distortion is just flourishing. That noise can be pleasant and can seem delicious. So we spice up and distort a nice recording. The ears are satisfied. Sales are up...control excluded.;)

respice finem

Major Contributor
These companies have taught their faithful to completely ignore measurements and the resulting physical laws that apply to everything. Such a state suits them. It allows them to sell anything they can think of while eliminating product control. Just the customer and his ears....a light object. If this condition were to apply to food, then poisoning is certain. Their customers think that if I add something to the system, it will improve the xcene, resolution, etc. However, they are unknowingly poisoning their system. They are hearing more and more better music from expensive equipment whose distortion is just flourishing. That noise can be pleasant and can seem delicious. So we spice up and distort a nice recording. The ears are satisfied. Sales are up...control excluded.;)
When caught, they can always claim freedom of religion :D

Lukino

Several times Amir has talked about the need to solve real problems by engineers who bring ideas verified by measurement. Time is wasted on useless things, and real rational audiophiles suffer from problems that could have been long behind us. I'm not saying it's not done that way. There are companies aka... Topping etc. which have not yet lost their reason and engineering sense. At least that makes us happy. And also this forum and people like Amir are very helpful in orienting towards devices with real performance.:)

jam

Amir, this product would be great for another short YouTube snake oil debunking video.

curly747

Not at all. Right in that video posted it says to start by plugging these into routers/swtiches:

View attachment 222498

On a streamer if the Ethernet port is not active, it likely is not doing anything.
Oh ... you are correct. I just watched the whole video now. That idea is pretty odd. Although the marketing is quite clever. Take home a few expensive pieces of my nice looking snake oil. Add them to your system and if you think there are improvements you can keep them and pay me $795 USD for each. Of course I have nothing to lose and a lot to gain since the snake oil is actually only worth $5. (the value of the shiny aluminium and the connector)

Lukino

Which problems?
Funny question.... I meant it in general. There are millions of devices that have ailments that the manufacturer will not remove even after years. A procedure that will bring benefits and results.. There is always a possibility... That's why there are such smart heads in the world..;)

Digby

Major Contributor
@amirm Unless I've missed it before, isn't the first time you've taken value for money into the ranking equation. Is this going to be typical in future?

JSmith

Master Contributor
@amirm Unless I've missed it before, isn't the first time you've taken value for money into the ranking equation.
Definitely not the first time, including recently;
... when we get to the extremes of price range, I do start to look at that. This is one those reviews especially since the designer talks extensively about attention to the smallest detail in measured performance. So be ready for me to analyze its performance in the same manner.

JSmith

Lambda

Major Contributor
Not saying it works.
But if you would test a water filter, would you test it with already perfectly clean water?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not saying it works.
But if you would test a water filter, would you test it with already perfectly clean water?
Why would you buy dirty water in the first place? Cheap clean drinking water is commodity in most places…

… hope this comment will age well after a few more decades …

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Unless I've missed it before, isn't the first time you've taken value for money into the ranking equation. Is this going to be typical in future?
Value? There is no value here. So no matter what it cost, my reaction would be the same.

Digby

Major Contributor
Value? There is no value here. So no matter what it cost, my reaction would be the same.
True, but some had the same reaction to the TuneTot, which did work as a speaker. I hope you see my point.

How ironic that there are 2 companies with the name Chord and both are from the UK and both sell snake oil
They better not be bottling up our adders!

Top Bottom