• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord GroundARAY Review (Noise Filter?)

Rate this audio product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 275 96.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this the same argument people use to buy a liniare power supply. Must the USB connector of the DAC not solving this problem?
The two Dacs I mentioned are portable Dacs that double up as desktop too.
They are also sensitive to this issue.
However, when used for their primary portable role, the issue does not arise. Connect them to a phone and headphones, and there is no problem.
They do not have isolation builtin, because that uses precious battery power.
But sometimes, the problem may not affect the Dac, but the amp that comes after!
HS-01 is a solution to a particular problem.
If you don't get it, then by all means, call it what you like.

mmuetst

No. DACs don't have optocouplers built in.
I don't think you understand: ground-loops and the resulting noise is a legitimate issue with even the most competently designed DACs and the HS01 is a legitimate solution to that problem.
From the other review:
“To be honest guys and gals, I don't worry about "noise" in the USB system itself when we add a good modern DACs in typical sound systems. Today's good DACs already output signals with low noise floor, great dynamic range, very low distortion and some already implement galvanic isolation. The only times I've run into issues are when doing measurements with both my DAC and ADC plugged in to the same computer which can result in ground loops (as discussed with the NobSound USB1 isolator article). In principle, this Topping box should be able to remove such issues while operating at USB2.0 / UAC2 speed”
And yes, I understanding grond loops, and no, I never had a grond loop isseue with a USB connection to my DAC’s . If there is no problem why fixed it?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The HS01 is not snake-oil. It's a regular USB isolator with a legitimate purpose (breaking ground loops).

I agree, I'm using one for measurements. But it does get hot, and apparently Topping is having heat dissipation issues with more than just one of their components. Maybe a slightly bigger case with better ventilation is in order.

amm

You see, the individuals and companies who are in snake oil business, often use concepts that have some elements of truth in them, often mix multiple principles, apply them out of context, add to it obfuscation and hyperbole and finally something that does not work and should cost $1 is marketed for $1000 or more.

For example, in RF often you terminate ports with their correct impedance. Furthermore, if you want to terminate ports over a very wide ferquency band (say when stabilizing amplifiers, having dc on the line), you use a parallel array of capacitors-resistors in series to ground. Each series cap.-res. branch terminates certain range of frequencies, this is needed due to the components’ parasitics. I think at best this is what is inside this device. Hence statements like “GroundARAY benefits from five separate noise-reduction systems, all working across different HF noise ranges and operating in parallel” and “convert undesirable HF electrical noise into heat”. Shame.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And yes, I understanding grond loops, and no, I never had a grond loop isseue with a USB connection to my DAC’s . If there is no problem why fixed it?
Hence, you need moisturizer if you have dry skin.
You seriously don't get that, or are you toying with us?

mmuetst

The two Dacs I mentioned are portable Dacs that double up as desktop too.
They are also sensitive to this issue.
However, when used for their primary portable role, the issue does not arise. Connect them to a phone and headphones, and there is no problem.
They do not have isolation builtin, because that uses precious battery power.
But sometimes, the problem may not affect the Dac, but the amp that comes after!
HS-01 is a solution to a particular problem.
If you don't get it, then by all means, call it what you like.
I get it, then it will be a good thing that Topping puts that on there webside…When you have this kind of problem you can use our product...If you do not, do not buy this product. Simple…I do not need a raincoat when it is not raining.

TK750

I wonder if this case was still live today with the technology available in 2022 would there be the same outcome?
I’m really surprised they were cleared, can’t believe they managed that ☹️
From what I can tell it seems like their cable actually did reduce noise by a few dBs compared to a standard mains cable, however I believe this is unimportant as Amir has shown previously that pretty much all devices that measure well do power filtering etc themselves.

So yes I think there would still be the same outcome today surprisingly as it does do something, however the thing that it does is unnecessary and even if devices didn't do their own filtering etc I doubt the difference would be detectable in any human way.

mmuetst

Hence, you need moisturizer if you have dry skin.
You seriously don't get that, or are you toying with us?
No, on the cream it says “for dry skin” Topping does not tell when to use there product…sorry still a product people will buy because they think the sound will improve even of they do not have a grond loop. You do not make any point…
If I do not have a dry skin but still put a cream on my skin, it is a waist of money

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, on the cream it says “for dry skin” Topping does not tell when to use there product…sorry still a product people will buy because they think the sound will improve even of they do not have a grond loop. You do not make any point…
Try reading the large word in the centre in bold:

1659651764552.png

Enough said on this topic-unrelated issue.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love these solutions to a non-existent issue. It's like me coming up with a key electronic enhancer for the sparkplugs in your car - *I* know it does nothing, but I tell you it helps concentrate the spark in a cleaner, better way. As if car manufacturers didn't try to optimize... :). "Cleaner power" clearly is something that appeals in audio circles, as if there was a problem anywhere (guiding mechanisms for missiles, critical health stuff, military, finance... they oddly have never complained about existing connection tech).

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember them too. If I recall correctly, Naim amps were sensitive to reactive speaker cables, it used to blow up the output stage, hence Chord making low-reactive cables for them.
I don't recall that, nor NAIM amplifiers blowing up being an issue. Besides, NAIM was already selling their own cables when Chord started in mid 80s.

Julian was adamant not to use RCA connectors on his devices and that created a market for DIN to RCA interconnects. A relation to a NAIM employee (I think the wife but not sure, it has been a while) realised that the American NAIM dealers are ready to pay good money for such interconnects and started the company.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The Ethernet Groundaray looks pretty fat, I don’t think I could use it to plug all the unused ports on my switch:
1659653169730.jpeg

Also, none of the Groundaray devices seem to have any kind of screws or thumbscrews. How am I going to connect them to my Entreq Ground Boxes? Do I have to drill and tap holes myself?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not that I own a Chord Electronics product, or plan on it any time soon, but since you have reviewed a number of Chord Electronics products recently and even connected the Chord Electronics “Dave” to this The Chord Company device for this review…. it may be worth noting that more clearly in the title or intro. Maybe I’m just bitter the Kali Audio IN-8 review never got properly fixed. Thanks for everything else otherwise Amir!
I put in a bolded note in the review.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't recall that, nor NAIM amplifiers blowing up being an issue. Besides, NAIM was already selling their own cables when Chord started in mid 80s.

Julian was adamant not to use RCA connectors on his devices and that created a market for DIN to RCA interconnects. A relation to a NAIM employee (I think the wife but not sure, it has been a while) realised that the American NAIM dealers are ready to pay good money for such interconnects and started the company.
My memory is not what it used to be.
But this is from a Naim amp manual .

Screenshot_20220804_235202_com.foxit.mobile.pdf.lite.jpg

Top Bottom