• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord DAVE Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 295 60.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 121 24.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 4.9%

• Total voters

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Chord is a marketing driven audio company selling very high priced products using very dubious arguments (lying, really) to consumers with big pockets; not an engineering one. Contrast this with the German company RME making audio interfaces and mic preamps for the pros, but have a very big hit with their ADI-2 DAC and Pro to consumers.
I'm not sure that Chord is really one of the many high end audio companies selling fantasies at astronomical prices. They measure well enough, if not quite SOTA, unlike many high end favourites which have measurements belonging to a previous age.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not about not toeing a line. It’s about thinking there’s a line that has to be toed - by saying that, you imply that those here who disagree with you are doing so out of blind faith to Amir, without thinking for themselves. But that’s not the case.
Oh no , not blind faith to Amir at all.
But I get a vibe with some members on any forum, who have little knowledge, and not knowing you have little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
I may be one of them, though hope not! I mean I am aware of my limitations (mostly).
But there is a line!
When was the last time we saw so much objections about a manufacturer?
Just hop over to Mojo2 thread. Mojo2 is not that expensive, at least here in UK, measures very well, has features etc.
Yet the same "Line" can be seen there, Chord this, Chord that. Rob Watts this.
Its a trend!
Hop over to Head-fi , you see a similar trend, but on the opposite .
Don't tell me there is no line.
Topping makes different models that do almost the same, at varying prices.
DX7 pro plus is just out! what justifies its release ?
But no one bitches out Topping.
BTW, I have a DX7 pro, and I think it is excellent .

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Many in this forum have mentioned problems with their Chinese hi-fi. That being said, the Chord products which Amir has tested do not (no offense) appeal to me at all (very high price, disco-ball-controls, and the performance is not so good). I guess Chord's amplifiers are extremely expensive without their performance being anything special.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping has its own issues. Reliability and some questionable qc /lack of testing to name but 2. But they don't charge £14k for anything they make.
You are comparing Seiko to a diamond encrusted Rolex submariner!
Of course 14K is too much.
No DAC is worth 14K!
Those who buy such things, do so, to prove their status.
Seiko keeps better time too.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mathematical perfection in dac is not possible in real life and never will be possible.
That’s most probably true, but it won’t stop engineers from reaching closer and closer to that goal. It would probably require some sort of completely esoteric technology such as clocking components operating at near-absolute zero, etc.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And our host Amir!
he is part and parcel of this mass deception. After all, he should know this fact of yours.
Year after year, he takes us along 100's of DAC reviews and measurements, for no reason .
I bet he is in their pocket!
Do you think the Illuminatis are responsible, or it it Putin?
mind boggles.
I’m not sure where you are going with this.

chesebert

You are comparing Seiko to a diamond encrusted Rolex submariner!
Of course 14K is too much.
No DAC is worth 14K!
Those who buy such things, do so, to prove their status.
Seiko keeps better time too.
If you are a small business selling high end dacs, you really can’t afford to sell your dac for cheap unless you have it built in China. Manufacturers typically give up 40-70% to distributors/dealers and if you are only selling maybe a thousand units (if that) a year your revenue is only a few million a year which you will need go pay for your COGS, employees, benefits, toolings, machines, marketing and 1000 other SGA expenses.

max233

Am I correct that Chord no longer sells the Dave? I wonder how it measured up to other similar devices at the time when it was sold new?

tomchris

I certainly understand the need to differentiate in the high-end market, but damn, Chord products really take the cake when it comes to awful product aesthetic and lack of ergonomics. It looks like a bad sci-fi prop from '70s Doctor Who series.

Here is the next Chord product, The Chord Dalek CD-Player:
STL233187.jpg

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mathematical perfection in dac is not possible in real life and never will be possible.

Yes, but misses the point I think.

First, @Billy Budapest wrote, “closer and closer,” which does not mean “reaching” or “achieving.”

Second, and perhaps more important, we know how imperfection manifests itself in digital sampling: as quantization error, aka noise, and as frequency and/or phase nonlinearity based on the behavior of the reconstruction filter. If the quantization noise is below audible levels, and the reconstruction filter functions as we know they are capable of functioning, then the result, while certainly not mathematically perfect, will be audibly the same as a mathematically perfect system would be, yes?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I correct that Chord no longer sells the Dave? I wonder how it measured up to other similar devices at the time when it was sold new?
It's still their flagship dac. Current on their website in the Choral range.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

chesebert

Yes, but misses the point I think.

First, @Billy Budapest wrote, “closer and closer,” which does not mean “reaching” or “achieving.”

Second, and perhaps more important, we know how imperfection manifests itself in digital sampling: as quantization error, aka noise, and as frequency and/or phase nonlinearity based on the behavior of the reconstruction filter. If the quantization noise is below audible levels, and the reconstruction filter functions as we know they are capable of functioning, then the result, while certainly not mathematically perfect, will be audibly the same as a mathematically perfect system would be, yes?
i don’t agree with your view but it does appear I misread the original comment.

Top Bottom