• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord DAVE Measurements (With MScaler) by GoldenSound

JSmith

Master Contributor
According to capitalism, the price customers are willing to pay is the fair price.
Good companies and businesses price their products reasonably... only those that wish excessive profit rip off their customers. From my experience in many cases this will be to their detriment eventually... short term gain, long term pain.

JSmith

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Thanks. The Zen Stream I use for my signal source allegedly has ANC and noise isolation built into its USB output, and I feed it into a Topping D90se. My system is dead-quiet to me, although I lack any measurement instruments to verify objectively.

I’m not sure what Rob Watt’s motive is in raising this topic in his latest unsolicited lecture on Head-Fi, but many folks are slavishly expressing their gratitude to him for illuminating this insight. Some seem to be rushing to yank out their USB connections in favor of TOSLINK connections, and I just don’t get the need—I have many music sources with sampling frequencies above which TOSLINK can handle, and they sound terrific to me through USB. :/
Note that the connector between MScaler and DAC has to use two SPDIF cables, when a single USB would do. Rival software products to MScaler (isn't there another hardware product now?) all use USB. So I presume that

(a) this is not a new thing for Watts:

(b) he has a commercial interest in people not using USB connectors to DACs: and

(c) he has a problem with his previously avowed endgame now. which was to have a Mojo with a million taps for his phone: unless he is intending to develop a mobile with a TOSLINK output of course.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Good companies and businesses price their products reasonably... only those that wish excessive profit rip off their customers. From my experience in many cases this will be to their detriment eventually... short term gain, long term pain.

Note that what I wrote - even though it was meant as a criticism of capitalist mentality - does not contradict what you write. If the company sets their prices too high, at some point it may be that this fires back.

However, it seems to be perfect for the highest level snake oil vendors, they will always find some very rich and very stupid person paying ridiculous prices for bling and exclusivity.

Blackice

I also own a Chord Mscaler and my experience was absolutely Fantastic. I use USB input with Coaxial output mode and it brings a ton of detail, sound stage depth and space to my end results. I do believe results can differ depending on each sound system environment. I understand it increases noise floor depending on input mode and bypass mode, However in my case I am so pleased with the end results and if it takes 6k USD to increase the sound quality this much, then so be it.
Even my parents can hear the difference so I'm not the only one noticing the effect.
But then again to each their own.
Thank you Chord for an amazing product.

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20230330_013006819.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20230330_013006819.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 44

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also own a Chord Mscaler and my experience was absolutely Fantastic. I use USB input with Coaxial output mode and it brings a ton of detail, sound stage depth and space to my end results. I do believe results can differ depending on each sound system environment. I understand it increases noise floor depending on input mode and bypass mode, However in my case I am so pleased with the end results and if it takes 6k USD to increase the sound quality this much, then so be it.
Even my parents can hear the difference so I'm not the only one noticing the effect.
Uh-huh

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Double un-huh. Even the parents.. wonder if golden ears runs in the family

Guettel

Agreed. Listening to "Satch and Josh" on one right now and it's like I'm at the club sitting in the middle of the band. Surreal.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s fine, and welcome to ASR.

Overwhelming odds are the difference you are perceiving is not due to the audio signal, unfortunately. Hence the skepticism. It’s not personal. I’m glad you are happy with your investment. However, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone until they go through the catalogue of blind tests here and consider how they might be wasting a lot of money.

Top Bottom