• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord DAVE Measurements (With MScaler) by GoldenSound

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wonder what's going on here:
uAOCwyyxPP.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Must confess I only scanned it and I see he has linked full reports with both usb in and mscaler in but are all the charts in the main body with dave fed by mscaler? You would have thought he would have at least shown the dashboards with and without mscaler... Unless it made no measurable difference :rolleyes:

dougi

uAOCwyyxPP.png
He postulated it was some kind of clipping at 0dBFS, as it went away at -1dBFS. The harmonics look like slight clipping, but who knows what mechanism causes that 100 Hz interval grass at full scale only.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
uAOCwyyxPP.png
Yes, that was the weird part but easily solvable by firmware making -0.5dB the new 0dB.

But still I was expecting lower harmonic distortions, and multitone is nothing to write home about...

And also MScaler brought nothing better to the measurements.

So overall, I guess an "okay" panther but no soccer panther, specially considering the price.

juliangst

Good to see that not all boutique brands have bad measuring gear

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
uAOCwyyxPP.png
Pretty sure it is measurement error seeing the 100 Hz and multiples. He doesn't know what he doesn't know about using Audio Precision.....

Eskamobob1

Pretty sure it is measurement error seeing the 100 Hz and multiples. He doesn't know what he doesn't know about using Audio Precision.....
What kind of error would cause the distortion to only be present at full scale and to stop at the nyquest frequency?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that was the weird part but easily solvable by firmware making -0.5dB the new 0dB.

But still I was expecting lower harmonic distortions, and multitone is nothing to write home about...

And also MScaler brought nothing better to the measurements.

So overall, I guess an "okay" panther but no soccer panther, specially considering the price.
It has 115 dB SINAD. :rolleyes: And it’s noise limited.

With very aggressive filtering.

This DAC is the child of the school of thought that if you measure it you will hear it no matter how loud it is.

arthur1260

Hi Amir, first of all thanks for your great contribution to the audio scene and for providing this platform, I'm personally grateful!
This short statement however reminds me of some older work colleagues, who liked to tell off young employees because they had no experience yet. I feel this is not a respectful approach, assuming that someone is incompetent without opening the door for a thorough technical conversation.
I would prefer to see a friendly and constructive approach towards a younger, and less experienced enthusiast, especially from someone with your knowledge and experience. It's already hard to navigate all the marketing claims snake oil sellers make.
To me it's very helpful and positive to see that more and more people dedicate their time and make substantial efforts to help the community with measurements and honest reviews. I believe a friendly and constructive approach could help the community much more.
On that note, could you please explain what is it he doesn't know, what could cause measurement errors, if any?
I understood from the review that this occurs only at full output, on both channels, most likely in the digital domain.

192kbps

Hi Amir, first of all thanks for your great contribution to the audio scene and for providing this platform, I'm personally grateful!
This short statement however reminds me of some older work colleagues, who liked to tell off young employees because they had no experience yet. I feel this is not a respectful approach, assuming that someone is incompetent without opening the door for a thorough technical conversation.
I would prefer to see a friendly and constructive approach towards a younger, and less experienced enthusiast, especially from someone with your knowledge and experience. It's already hard to navigate all the marketing claims snake oil sellers make.
To me it's very helpful and positive to see that more and more people dedicate their time and make substantial efforts to help the community with measurements and honest reviews. I believe a friendly and constructive approach could help the community much more.
On that note, could you please explain what is it he doesn't know, what could cause measurement errors, if any?
I understood from the review that this occurs only at full output, on both channels, most likely in the digital domain.
If you know Goldensound, you know he's not a decent guy.

mccririck

Must confess I only scanned it and I see he has linked full reports with both usb in and mscaler in but are all the charts in the main body with dave fed by mscaler? You would have thought he would have at least shown the dashboards with and without mscaler... Unless it made no measurable difference :rolleyes:
I believe there's going to be a separate M-Scaler article.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe there's going to be a separate M-Scaler article.
There already is. But I'd like to know how the Dave measures with and without.

Top Bottom