• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Company launches GroundARAY noise-reduction devices for your hi-fi separates.

antennaguru

Not sure if this is simply a big shorting plug, or if there is something inside the cylinder. However, simple shorting plugs are prescribed in the service manual of my Mitsubishi DA-P20 Preamp for either the Moving Magnet Phono or the Moving Coil Phono input jacks when they have no cable connected to them and are otherwise unused. They provided one set of shorting jacks for the unused phono connections. Presumably having one set of open connectors on the unused phono input could interfere with the other phono input in a high interference environment (nearby police, fire, or radio station). Both inputs do end up in a common RIAA amplifier.

I guess it's reasonable for a high gain phono stage's input connectors, but wouldn't think it would matter for line level inputs.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure if this is simply a big shorting plug, or if there is something inside the cylinder. However, simple shorting plugs are prescribed in the service manual of my Mitsubishi DA-P20 Preamp for either the Moving Magnet Phono or the Moving Coil Phono input jacks when they have no cable connected to them and are otherwise unused. They provided one set of shorting jacks for the unused phono connections. Presumably having one set of open connectors on the unused phono input could interfere with the other phono input in a high interference environment (nearby police, fire, or radio station). Both inputs do end up in a common RIAA amplifier.

I guess it's reasonable for a high gain phono stage's input connectors, but wouldn't think it would matter for line level inputs.

Yes, its possible though I doubt its just a big shorting plug. I bleieve there must be something in that tube. But what it is, its quite impossible to know without ripping it apart. Maybe some diodes and capacitors? haha, jsut guessing.

antennaguru

Yes, its possible though I doubt its just a big shorting plug. I bleieve there must be something in that tube. But what it is, its quite impossible to know without ripping it apart.

Maybe a 10 ohm resistor?

Actually when I saw the one with a BNC connector I figured a 50 or 75 ohm resistor, and then reminded myself it was an audio application.

escksu

Maybe a 10 ohm resistor?

Actually when I saw the one with a BNC connector I figured a 50 or 75 ohm resistor, and then reminded myself it was an audio application.

Maybe its diode? Sicne it says provides a low resistance path, so diode will provide a 1 way path. I am tempted to get it and see what is inside. But AUD1K gone just for this is a little hard to stomach.

antennaguru

Maybe its diode? Sicne it says provides a low resistance path, so diode will provide a 1 way path. I am tempted to get it and see what is inside. But AUD1K gone just for this is a little hard to stomach.

The potential interference (RF) is AC so a single diode could cause interference by only providing a path to ground for one half of the AC wave. Back to back diodes are often used to protect delicate receive circuits in a transceiver but need to be carefully designed so that they do not introduce IMD.

escksu

The potential interference (RF) is AC so a single diode could cause interference by only providing a path to ground for one half of the AC wave. Back to back diodes are often used to protect delicate receive circuits in a transceiver but need to be carefully designed so that they do not introduce IMD.

Oh yes, thanks for the info!! I am really curious about what in that tube...lol Oh yes, this also reminds of the nordost qv2 "secret tube".....lol

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The GroundARAY is a cylindrical design made from precision CNC-machined thick-walled aluminium; the thick walls themselves stop the device from contributing HF noise. Available in six termination options, including USB A, RCA and XLR, for a wide range of digital and analogue A/V devices, the GroundARAY benefits from five separate noise-reduction systems, all working across different HF noise ranges and operating in parallel to convert undesirable HF electrical noise into heat.
The advanced technologies provide a very low-impedance, high-bandwidth route for HF noise to pass into, effectively ‘pulling’ noise from the signal ground of the host equipment.​
Each GroundARAY cylinder is filled with a carefully chosen material to deaden noise. The final assembly is then locked into place to reduce any effects from acoustic vibration.​
Giving crap like this even the slightest shred of credibility is the mark of an ignoramus. Unless you're the one peddling it.

antennaguru

Giving crap like this even the slightest shred of credibility is the mark of an ignoramus. Unless you're the one peddling it.

Are you by chance directing your ignoramus comment towards me?

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor
My source on their relationship was an insider. That doesn’t mean it’s right, but it was from someone in a position to know.

If there were no connection, so to speak, there would likely be trademark litigation.
https://chord.co.uk/chord-history/
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/john-franks-chord-electronics-took-flight
Maybe the UK’s a little less keen on costly litigation.

Or maybe neither company feels the other is adversely affecting their reputation, a bit like the Rolls Royce and Brough Superior story from the 1930s.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/brough-superior-the-rolls-royce-of-motorcycles/

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do people even shop Chord components in the first place? Did they give particularly good bjs to particular reviewers?

escksu

https://chord.co.uk/chord-history/
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/john-franks-chord-electronics-took-flight
Maybe the UK’s a little less keen on costly litigation.

Or maybe neither company feels the other is adversely affecting their reputation, a bit like the Rolls Royce and Brough Superior story from the 1930s.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/brough-superior-the-rolls-royce-of-motorcycles/

I am inclined to believe that many people think they are the same company.

Blaspheme

My source on their relationship was an insider. That doesn’t mean it’s right, but it was from someone in a position to know.

If there were no connection, so to speak, there would likely be trademark litigation.
I'm surprised you'd form a conclusion based on hearsay and a loose theory.

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor
I am inclined to believe that many people think they are the same company.
I think you’re right. It is confusing for the average consumer, but if it doesn’t adversely affect either company’s business, and neither company has any interest in producing the other’s products, there’s really no reason to go to the expense of litigation.

Or maybe they did, and the courts came to the conclusion that as both parties were selling over-priced products off the backs of unsubstantiated pseudo-scientific claims - no harm, no foul?

Last edited:
Top Bottom