• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Company launches GroundARAY noise-reduction devices for your hi-fi separates.

mansr

Major Contributor
OK so I guess if - being extremely generous here - if there was an earth differential with AV stuff plugged into different power outlets then connecting the earth pin of the RCA's together would possibly reduce any earthing buzz or hum.
Except these dongles don't connect to anything.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is cheaper:
3M copper foil tape-sm.jpg

DSJR

Major Contributor
I was told when I asked that these were sister companies.

Absolutely no way SIY. The Chord Company was created by two (I think) wives of Naim employees down in the Salisbury area to satisfy the need for locking-DIN based interconnects as used by Naim to RCA connectors as used by 'everyone else except Quad' back then. From kitchen table beginnings the company grew and grew. All UK Naim dealers stock them and they also did a good job getting into two sizeable UK dealer chains twenty years back.

Chord Electronics started as a deluxe pro brand of amps (weren't they one of the first to use switch mode power supplies) and went on from there. They always looked quite posh for the time, but nothing like as steam-punk lavish as they style their upper products today...

Last edited:

levimax

Major Contributor
What do shorting plugs do?
Sometimes an "open RCA socket" can pick up some hum and noise and if you use a shorting plug (shorts RCA hot to ground) it can eliminate this noise. I guess the theory is "cross talk" noise could get picked up on the other active RCA sockets. As mentioned probably not a "real" problem but some "shorting plugs" look cool and some people liked to dress up the back of their systems. These Chord things take that concept to an extreme.

DSJR

Major Contributor

You asked us to link to this nonsense?

The thing is tech-ignorant people genuinely believe this bull and propagate it sadly.

'
  1. The human ear/brain is more sensitive than the best in-band audio measurement equipment (which has about -190dB noise floor). Rob Watts (of Chord Electronics) says as much and is pursuing design performance levels over 300dB via simulation (not measurement). Our extreme sensitivity level is a deep mystery but very real. Stop reading right now if you don't believe this (or don't trust your own ears).
  2. The mechanics of the final digital-to-analog conversion deep within a DAC is a very delicate analog process and is perturbed by minute energy levels at all frequencies. Since DAC designers (for the most part) only engineer to a specification, they perhaps don't regard such low energy levels as having an audible impact. So although the general effects of noise may be mitigated within a DAC, a proper attention to their effects is not fully considered.'

Andrew s

You asked us to link to this nonsense?

The thing is tech-ignorant people genuinely believe this bull and propagate it sadly.

'
  1. The human ear/brain is more sensitive than the best in-band audio measurement equipment (which has about -190dB noise floor). Rob Watts (of Chord Electronics) says as much and is pursuing design performance levels over 300dB via simulation (not measurement). Our extreme sensitivity level is a deep mystery but very real. Stop reading right now if you don't believe this (or don't trust your own ears).
  2. The mechanics of the final digital-to-analog conversion deep within a DAC is a very delicate analog process and is perturbed by minute energy levels at all frequencies. Since DAC designers (for the most part) only engineer to a specification, they perhaps don't regard such low energy levels as having an audible impact. So although the general effects of noise may be mitigated within a DAC, a proper attention to their effects is not fully considered.'
Just to be clear do you dispute the rf noise measurements? That was the bit I was referring to. If so what is the basis of your disputing them? Regards Andrew

Katji

Major Contributor
I was told when I asked that these were sister companies.
That settles it then. Case closed.
So one makes musical cords and the other makes musical DACs. Maybe some synergy there.
I used to think the Chord DAVE was named for the owner's kid or something.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That settles it then. Case closed.
So one makes musical cords and the other makes musical DACs. Maybe some synergy there.
I used to think the Chord DAVE was named for the owner's kid or something.
My source on their relationship was an insider. That doesn’t mean it’s right, but it was from someone in a position to know.

If there were no connection, so to speak, there would likely be trademark litigation.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I've seen a few shorting plugs used on RCA terminals. Pretty rare though and I think they where used on the phono input. The shorting plugs short the ground and the signal carrying conductor together.

Tape head input, as well, on my MAC-1700 (pic isn't mine).

2020-05-2914.30.34_00435c93-392c-486f-9dd7-2e46d9dbf3f6_1800x897.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
The mechanics of the final digital-to-analog conversion deep within a DAC is a very delicate analog process and is perturbed by minute energy levels at all frequencies. Since DAC designers (for the most part) only engineer to a specification, they perhaps don't regard such low energy levels as having an audible impact. So although the general effects of noise may be mitigated within a DAC, a proper attention to their effects is not fully considered.'
I'll wait for science to sort out the subtle energy stuff. Meanwhile I'm not paying for esoterics.

OP
Razorhelm

Razorhelm

Haha! A unanimous decision then!
It is amazing the things you can get away with in audio.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Good grief.... one wrong move and you can rip off your rca connectors.
Usually it's the jacks that suffer ;)
Look closely at the CD input jacks on this poor, defenseless Marantz integrated amp, e.g.
They were denuded, I suspect, by the death grip of a pair of Monsterous "interconnects" :(

Marantz PD25 6 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Didn't read the article.

But the fact that the source is What Hifi? certainly does greatly increase the likelihood of something being snake oil. Sort of like wondering if you can believe what a used car salesman tells you. lol

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as snake oil unless I know the exact principle behind it and the circuitry. But I definitely don't think it cost AUD1K to make one.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
No idea. Would need to buy one, rip it apart and see whats the circuit inside to know what it is. Sometimes, someone will really buy one and tear it apart and post on youtube. But AUD1K each??? Thats madness....

Dont be surprise if the components cost less than $10
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!.... (takes a breath) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Top Bottom