• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing Unbalanced RCA Audio Cables for Home Use: What Really Matters? - Shielding & Directionality Questions

DaleCarter1021

Good Morning,

I am new here and have "zero" formal qualifications for this topic, such as being a properly educated electrical engineer, broadcast technician, studio engineer, metallurgist or, in the case of "high end/audiophile" cable companies, Certified Snake Oil Sales Associate" hahaha

That said, I have 35 years of layman experience in recording studios (performer, engineer and producer), "pro" audio (clubs to hockey arenas) as a a system builder and FOH operator, as well as a number of friends/colleagues who are actual EE's, physicists, broadcast engineers, legendary FOH mixers, top flight (multi-platinum) record engineers and mastering techs, microwave broadcast techs, etc etc

My $0.02? Unbalanced RCA cables are to be used for analog signals ONLY when a balanced XLR is not available. Even then, interrupting the shield at one end or the other, may prove beneficial. I am not sure how breaking the shield, i.e. a shunt or dump, is effective for an unbalanced signal, but I am open to education by those more knowledgable than myself. Unbalanced cables should only be used for short patches in a rack or patch bay, but, even then, balanced paths are preferable.

For home use, whether the setup is for recording/tracking or for a "reference" reproduction setup, the distances covered, and the levels used, will be unaffected by cables built to a very basic level.

I bet that nowhere near enough time/effort/money has been spent on the room (acoustics, HVAC, electrical filtering, etc) to notice the effects of a properly designed RCA cable, especially in the home.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Balanced connections for the one meter or so runs typical of a home audio installation are in the category of completely unnecessary most of the time. If you aren't picking up audible noise, you don't have a problem. Pro sound reinforcement is another story. \

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The main reasons for differential runs in the home are to break a ground loop or to suppress EMI/RFI.

Top Bottom