• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing Headphone Amp for Fostex T50RP

OP
W

WSM_2020

How much more power do you think you need and why ?
For good records, well, there is nearly enough power but for my favourite bad ones from Youtube, I'd like more some times ... )
However, it is very individual, you know )))

May be because I have a problem with my ears ... And that is why I search for such level of power that can bring me the best possible distinctness of sound ... Yes, with me it works right so - a certain level of loudness may help me to distinguish more ...

Oh, may be, I've just caught "upgraditis" already, as Bob-23 have so wisely presumed ... )))))

You've tried high gain mode I assume?
Without doubt! ...

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So you need more than 120dB SPL peak ??
In that case you would need to go for 126dB peak SPL and need an amp that can provide about 14V into 50 Ohm = 4W

It is all highly unlikely you would need that unless you are incredibly deaf already.

Reactions: PSO

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is your T50RP modded? That can cut down the efficiency a lot.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Please dont take this the wrong way, but if your hearing is impaired and you need significantly higher levels than is usual, you have picked the wrong set of headphones with the T50. Fairly low sensitivity is going to be hard to get to (what for non impaired would be) too high levels. Also, you may end up just getting a more distorted sound.

You might do better spending any more money on some 'phones with more like 100db sensitivity than an amp that can drive the T50 harder.

Anyone better versed in such matters disagree?

OP
W

WSM_2020

Is your T50RP modded? That can cut down the efficiency a lot.
No they are not!

Please dont take this the wrong way, but if your hearing is impaired and you need significantly higher levels than is usual, you have picked the wrong set of headphones with the T50. Fairly low sensitivity is going to be hard to get to (what for non impaired would be) too high levels.
Don't worry, the things are not going so bad indeed! First I was smart enough to switch Yulong to the USB port on the back of my TT big tower; second I must now replace a few trebling case fans that I now hear :) ; third I have to buy a really good, shielded USB 3.0 (male) to USB 3.0 (male) cable ...
All these measures, I know, will improve the situation significantly. Switching the USB inputs already did much, quite predictably ... :D

And once again - I never meant that I am dissatisfied or dramatically lacking something, no way! I just would like a bit more power reserved, - take it as a sort of idiosyncrasy of mine ... ))))))))))))

Hi, folks, I now have a really challenging question for you! )))
Can I use the 'phone inputs of Yulong U100 and JDS O2 simultaneously, or will I break the devices so?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Can I use the 'phone inputs of Yulong U100 and JDS O2 simultaneously, or will I break the devices so?

It depends on whether you actually mean inputs or call outputs inputs as well. This given your:
Switching the USB inputs already did much, quite predictably .
remark

Why would changing USB cable change anything... and why would using different USB outputs change situations quite predictably ?
Are you hearing weird noises in the headphone that should not be there ?

OP
W

WSM_2020

Why would changing USB cable change anything... and why would using different USB outputs change situations quite predictably ?
Are you hearing weird noises in the headphone that should not be there ?
First, front USB ports provide less power and are "dirtier" - I literally got lowder and clearer sound after reswitching USB cable to the port on the back of the tower; and second - yes I start hearing how one or two of my case fans are trebling just through my 'phones; and third - also yes - I am still mistaking outputs for inputs and vice versa, only by the name, thank God, not by the function! LOL

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You need to change DAC's or address common mode currents (can originate from the PC) or even try an USB power injector.
An expensive USB 3.0 cable is not likely to change anything.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No they are not!

Don't worry, the things are not going so bad indeed! First I was smart enough to switch Yulong to the USB port on the back of my TT big tower; second I must now replace a few trebling case fans that I now hear :) ; third I have to buy a really good, shielded USB 3.0 (male) to USB 3.0 (male) cable ...
All these measures, I know, will improve the situation significantly. Switching the USB inputs already did much, quite predictably ... :D

And once again - I never meant that I am dissatisfied or dramatically lacking something, no way! I just would like a bit more power reserved, - take it as a sort of idiosyncrasy of mine ... ))))))))))))

Hi, folks, I now have a really challenging question for you! )))

How do you know how much power is "reserved" now? Unless you are at or near full volume? Think you mean you want headroom. The knowledge you can go louder during a listening session.

The fans- you mean you think they are sending a spurious signal through your kit into the headphones? Or you mean the actual sound of the fans is audible over the top of the 'phones? I find that hard to believe given the volumes you seem to be getting and wanting.

Using HP out on both devices- if it does it it youre ok but I suspect the Yulong will cut the rear outputs if you plug HP into its jack making it impossible.

Just out of interest- explain what you are currently listening to as source. What files, what player on PC. Are you sure you have PC and player volumes at max? Nothing like sound spatializer engaged - (check properties- advanced for your DAC). Is the Yulong USB powered ? If so, does it have a separate power socket optional? HAve you tried that too?

Im not sure how you got from euphoria to underpowered and dirty USB in the space of a week.

Have you tried connecting the DAC to your phone instead of the PC?

OP
W

WSM_2020

Think you mean you want headroom. The knowledge you can go louder during a listening session.
U r pefectly right - I just forgot this expression!

The fans- you mean you think they are sending a spurious signal through your kit into the headphones? Or you mean the actual sound of the fans is audible over the top of the 'phones? I find that hard to believe given the volumes you seem to be getting and wanting.
Believe me or not, but I have just put on my 'phones and in SILENCE, not while playing music of course, even with my ears, I am starting hearing the trebling of the fans that clearly need replacing.

Just out of interest- explain what you are currently listening to as source. What files, what player on PC. Are you sure you have PC and player volumes at max? Nothing like sound spatializer engaged - (check properties- advanced for your DAC). Is the Yulong USB powered ? If so, does it have a separate power socket optional? HAve you tried that too?
How many questions indeed! Man, you seem REALLY preoccupied with my "problems"! :D:D:D
1) Don't laugh at me, but I am dealing with Youtube mostly, as I need video, just listening music through some player is too dull for me, I know I tried
2) O2 is set to max volume, in Windows the volume position varies but in 99,99% of the time it is definitely NOT MAX! You've been absolutely right - I am not constantly in need of something bloody loud, thank God, - I just want headroom ...
3) No spatilizer is possible for my DAC, it is that primitive ))) And for my Creative SB Titanium HD that I use with Edifier R1900TV all such effects were switched off long ago ...
4) USB is not USB powered, it has its separate power socket.

Well, pfff, I've finished with my Report at last! )))))))))))))))))

But can you now answer my only question, I am repeating it:
"Can I use the headphone amplifier outputs of Yulong and O2 simultaneously?!"

solderdude

Grand Contributor
"Can I use the headphone amplifier outputs of Yulong and O2 simultaneously?!"

You need to explain WHAT you exactly mean... how you will be connecting everything.

You still have not explained if you hear the 'trebling' of the fans because of the headphones not acoustically damping outside noises enough for you or that you only hear it (from the headphones itself) when everything is connected.
As soon as the USB connection is disconnected can you still hear the 'trebling' ? is the question that still isn't clear.

Bob-23

O2 is set to max volume
Do you know what gain settings your O2 has: the standard setting (2,5 x/ 6,5 x) or has the former owner chosen a different gain setting, (which is possible)?
I just want headroom
We all want ''headroom - the question is how much we really need.
In your post 4 you mentioned you reached at 70% windows 'a comfortable not too silent', already, with your Yulong, if I got it right.

Last edited:

ondert

Hello, I’ve found a fairly cheap MrSpeakers Alpha Dog and don’t want to miss them. Some said 1w per channel is needed to drive them properly. However, I don’t have any amp or dac/amp. I mostly listen to my music on my iMac with Apple USB C dongle or iPod Classic 5.5th gen.
What might be the cheapest (yet good enough) possible amp or dac/amp to drive them?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I’ve found a fairly cheap MrSpeakers Alpha Dog and don’t want to miss them. Some said 1w per channel is needed to drive them properly. However, I don’t have any amp or dac/amp. I mostly listen to my music on my iMac with Apple USB C dongle or iPod Classic 5.5th gen.
What might be the cheapest (yet good enough) possible amp or dac/amp to drive them?

Jds atom or schiit Heresy if you can get in your geography. Fed from apple dongle

Top Bottom