• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing between the Denon X8500H, X6700H, X4700H and X3700H (Updated)

Benedium

Forum Donor
Come to think of it, the 8k cable worked fine from ps4 pro to avr. But it was just problematic between avr and tv via eArc.

Jbrunwa

I mean when you turn on your system every day. It’s about how the hdmi handshake works. You don’t have to unplug ROKU or ATV. They should have a sleep mode they automatically set after a predetermined amount of idle time. But it’s important to power up the AVR first, then sources if applicable and finally the TV. If you use a universal remote look for a method of arranging power up order. Power down order does not matter.
Thanks for your help. I went through the whole restart, resets, restores sequence, and checked startup sequences, but the problem persisted. I swapped the AVR-3700H back in and it works without issue, so the AVR-X8500HA will be returned. The only audible difference between the two models was after Audyssey. I was able to match the sound of the 8500 on the 3700 by adjusting the speaker distances and levels to match in MultiEQ app. Perhaps the mike placement was different. The tweaks were only by a tenth of a foot but the levels were sometimes 1.0 dB different. I am sure some would advise against doing this, but the tweaks definitely improved the sound, at least in my mind. I have some Hypex Buckeye amps ordered, so it wont lack any power. Of course the 3700 does not have Auro3d, but I don’t have any Auro3d content, and rarely use an upmixer for music.

dutchvc

OK so another issue, which I called Denon on and they say I'm the first to ever report it. I've noticed with my 6700 that it at times get lost/loses the hdmi video portion when using the PS5.This pretty much only happens when on a game it's switching between 120hx and 60z modes, while shifting, the screen goes blank as normal, then usually resumes. However, sometimes it doesn't, and then I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it to resync. When PS5 was connected directly to the TV, there never were any issues. It can be VERY annoying, especially when entering into a PVP match and I can't see what's going on. Add on yesterday that for about 30 minutes, I couldn't pass ANY 4k video signal, no bluray or PS5, but the comcast cable worked just fine? Then it came back later. Something odd is going on with a 38 day old receiver... Any thoughts?

Golfx

Forum Donor
Is your hdmi cec turned on? I had unusual occurrences when it was turned on. Had to shut it off on AVR and the LG tv.

dutchvc

Is your hdmi cec turned on? I had unusual occurrences when it was turned on. Had to shut it off on AVR and the LG tv.
Yes, it is. Perhaps I will give that a try, though that definitely would be annoying as that's the point of it to make our lives easier!

Ekkoville

You have two issues with this question:
1. Audyssey only supports Zone 1.
2. Zone 2 and 3 only work with internal amps with Denon Amp Assign, NOT with pre-outs. Unfortunately, it's a limitation of the current design. Same with 3700, 4700, 6700 "Preamp" mode in amp assign. It only supports the channels as labeled on the Chassis. It would be nice if Amp Assign supported all modes with pre-outs but currently that is not the case.
Ok, this is as far as I have gotten in this thread and this concerns me if I am using external amps on these Denon units in Preamp mode. I do need Zone 2 and is this still the case, 9 months later?

amper42

Major Contributor
For clarity, full pre-amp mode in Denon amp assign does not support Zone2 or Zone3. These zones are only supported if you use the internal Denon amps and select an amp assign mode that supports them. This is how Denon developed the product and it is what is being relayed to customers asking about this issue in level 2 support. I'm not expecting a change.

John People

I would highly recommend the 6700H over the 4700H. My personal hands-on experience, extensive sound testing, several weeks on both systems side by side . Hands down the 6700H is the better all-around performer. Based on my technical expertise concerning performance, component layout, heat. The 6700H will out last, likely out perform the 4700H in every category, within time. Oh, did I mention HEAT? Even in Pre amp mode. I believe the 6700H is money spent wisely +++ Like a fine bottle of red wine, memorable.

If you can swing the cost don't look back, period. Overall best choice.
Hi all and Bello,

First post in this forum and lost of amazing information here. I bought today the 4700H and the 6700H before finding this. I have Martin Logan's Motion 40 (Towers Bi-Amped) and the Motion 30 (Center) paired with my Rotel RMB-1555 Amp and Motion's 4i's for surround. I'm retiring my 4 years old Pioneer Elite LX-801 AV Receiver.

I have about 15 sqft for my spare bedroom just the system. I'm planning to upgrade the ML to the 60XT and Center to the 50XT later down the road.

I'm not planning on atmos at the moment (probably 2 speakers in the ceiling in the future).

Can I get some recommendation for which model to keep? I'm really overwhelmed by the amount of information. I just want to make sure I'm getting the best sound quality for the price point. If there's a reason to spend 1000 dollars more for 6700H that's okay but would the value be there?

Thanks a lot to all.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all and Bello,

First post in this forum and lost of amazing information here. I bought today the 4700H and the 6700H before finding this. I have Martin Logan's Motion 40 (Towers Bi-Amped) and the Motion 30 (Center) paired with my Rotel RMB-1555 Amp and Motion's 4i's for surround. I'm retiring my 4 years old Pioneer Elite LX-801 AV Receiver.

I have about 15 sqft for my spare bedroom just the system. I'm planning to upgrade the ML to the 60XT and Center to the 50XT later down the road.

I'm not planning on atmos at the moment (probably 2 speakers in the ceiling in the future).

Can I get some recommendation for which model to keep? I'm really overwhelmed by the amount of information. I just want to make sure I'm getting the best sound quality for the price point. If there's a reason to spend 1000 dollars more for 6700H that's okay but would the value be there?

Thanks a lot to all.
Not @Bello ... but if you have no intention of going beyond 11 channels (6700 does 13), stick with the 4700 and if it is warmer than you like get a fan to help with the temp (something from aircom is popular). I find it very hard to believe there would be any audible difference between the two IMO.

John People

Not @Bello ... but if you have no intention of going beyond 11 channels (6700 does 13), stick with the 4700 and if it is warmer than you like get a fan to help with the temp (something from aircom is popular). I find it very hard to believe there would be any audible difference between the two IMO.

Hey Dj7675,

Thanks a lot for letting me know. When you mention the FAN what exactly are we talking about. I know about the amps still been hot even on 100% pre-amp mode. Where and how could I change the fans?

Thanks

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice that's actually amazing.

Which would you recommend for the size of the 6700H/4700H?

Thanks
They have various features and also some will have exhaust going forward and some backwards. It just depends on where you put it, what features you want, and which direction you want the air flow.

amper42

Major Contributor
Hi all and Bello,

Thanks a lot to all.

If you are planning to use full Pre-out mode save your money and use the Denon 4700. The cash saving can be for external amps. As far as a fan, I suggest the $20 AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7. It works great placed on top of the receiver with the fans pointed up drawing air out of the receiver. Place the fan on the low setting. It will be much quieter than the Aircom units, weigh less and keep the receiver amazingly cool. You can use an iPad USB power plug to power the fans or a surge strip with USB power on it like the Monoprice 9203.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9203

My problem with the 6700 is there are two versions with different components. One that offers 12dB lower SINAD. It may be difficult to know which one you get? In all cases, each Denon 3700/4700 and 6700 offer higher performance with external high quality amps using full pre-out mode. If that's something you will consider why pay extra for the 6700?

Bello

Hi all and Bello,

Thanks a lot to all.
Hi John,

My purchase (less $500.00) from todays prices, just over a year ago. During that time, 6700H had component SINAD issues exposed. Shortly after purchase, I returned my 6700H for new replacement based S/N confirmation, w/ a new system including the updated fix. That said, my purchase decision was based on several factors as explained in many of my posted threads. First, Heat, Second, quality component level, Third component layout, Fourth, component system longevity. Based on stand alone, open air or minimal cross air within my enclosure.

My testing did-not discern sound 4700H/6700H. They both did great in sound level, spec. My decision was based on overall component type quality level, internal component placement layout. Reduction in high heat, will, can be a fact in component SINAD longevity. I am not looking to swap this system out for many years to come. My add on Emotiva XPA-7 Amp has complimented my 6700H. This has given me time to grow my layout for years to come.

Lastly, blowing air directly into a system (4700H) should not be recommended due to massive component dust contamination over time. This alone will cause sooner than later component issues. If you live in Alaska, or the North Pole I'd say you're fine year round, operating in open air. Based on my testing / and my back ground experience of internal components. For me it was a no brainer at the time of pricing / purchase. The increased price tag ($500.00?) 6700H cost from last year could be a factor for most whom are deciding, understood...

Hope this helps in your final decision.

John People

Hey guys @Bello @amper42 @Dj7675

Thanks for everything so far.

Yesterday I picked up a 3700H just for testing and one thing that I notice is that in pre amp mode there's no way to bi amp the fronts. I use 2 pairs for each tower but different than the pioneer the system does not allow me to assign the RCA PRE OUT for Height 1 to be my second front input so I can Bi-Amp. Is there anyway to change that since I'm not using the amplifiers in the receiver.

I should be receiving my 6700h tomorrow.

Thanks

amper42

Major Contributor
Hey guys @Bello @amper42 @Dj7675

Thanks for everything so far.

Yesterday I picked up a 3700H just for testing and one thing that I notice is that in pre amp mode there's no way to bi amp the fronts. I use 2 pairs for each tower but different than the pioneer the system does not allow me to assign the RCA PRE OUT for Height 1 to be my second front input so I can Bi-Amp. Is there anyway to change that since I'm not using the amplifiers in the receiver.

I should be receiving my 6700h tomorrow.

Thanks

John,
The Denon 3700/4700/6700 receivers only support a Bi-amp configuration when "Denon amp assign" is used with the Bi-amp option selected. Of course, this requires using the internal Denon amps. As soon as you select Pre-out mode in "Amp Assign" only the functions printed on each pre-out port are supported. The same applies to A-B Fronts and Zones - they are not supported in Pre-out mode. Denon support has emailed me this is by design and is not expected to change.

For my use, I decided the higher performance of using quality external amps with pre-out mode was more important than a bi-amp configuration. This is probably a decision you will need to consider as well.

John People

John,
The Denon 3700/4700/6700 receivers only support a Bi-amp configuration when "Denon amp assign" is used with the Bi-amp option selected. Of course, this requires using the internal Denon amps. As soon as you select Pre-out mode in "Amp Assign" only the functions printed on each pre-out port are supported. The same applies to A-B Fronts and Zones - they are not supported in Pre-out mode. Denon support has emailed me this is by design and is not expected to change.

For my use, I decided the higher performance of using quality external amps with pre-out mode was more important than a bi-amp configuration. This is probably a decision you will need to consider as well.

Yeah @amper42,

I was told that there's basically 0 benefits in sounds quality for movies only for you to get really picky to bi-amp. So I'm not sure. Right out of the box the denon 3700h sounded much more clearly and detailed than my old pioneer elite lx-801.

dutchvc

Well. they replaced my 6700 back in december due to the video switching issues.. which remained with the new unit, leading me to believe it's simply doesn't work well switching modes on the video side specifically in games that alternate from 120-60hz. So I had to just connect directly to my tv from PS5 which completely defeats the purpose now using earc return.
AND NOW the right channel of the amp seems dead. I can't win with this 6700. What on earth is going on with this product. I even have a cooling fan on it and never run it loud. It's just my luck apparently...

amper42

Major Contributor
Well. they replaced my 6700 back in december due to the video switching issues.. which remained with the new unit, leading me to believe it's simply doesn't work well switching modes on the video side specifically in games that alternate from 120-60hz. So I had to just connect directly to my tv from PS5 which completely defeats the purpose now using earc return.
AND NOW the right channel of the amp seems dead. I can't win with this 6700. What on earth is going on with this product. I even have a cooling fan on it and never run it loud. It's just my luck apparently...

Contact Denon and tell them your story. Tell them you got a lemon and want a NEW replacement. It would really be bad PR for them to refuse your request. There is no reason to have to deal with this. In fact, it's normal policy at Denon if a unit is repaired and still doesn't work when the customer receives it to issue a replacement. This process took 3 months for me but I did finally receive a replacement receiver. Denon will usually make good on a bad situation if you push them.

Top Bottom